Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical *** APRIL 2016 BANGER MEET - DON'T BE FOOLED BY SUBSTITUTES ***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Apr 1, 2016.

1. That is some nice hardware, who made the block?

J

2. Well you know what they say happens to snitches:D:D Did I mention I'm from the hood originally;)
    I'm just going to need a few basic things this year and was hoping he could do it. I just need a flywheel lightened and a head surfaced. Hopefully machinist X can fit that in:)

3. Yes Lets get more going. You know there is a nice old drag strip up here in Redding, I believe the oldest NHRA sanctioned strip in continues operation. The pits are even dirt/gravel for that old time feel!:) I wonder if an Antique Nationals type event could be held there?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  4. 25mercury

25mercury
    from California

Thank you John. The block was made a few years ago by Les Schubert in Calgary, he did 9 blocks. Crank and rods are Crower, mains are 2.399 inches, for Ford 2300 inserts.

530sandman likes this.
  5. Hi Justin,
    I have an extra lightened flywheel that's set up for a V8 60 clutch and pressure plate. (same clutch setup I use!) I could surface the flathead too! Machinist X, is the man you want Line Boring Your Billet main caps or Girdle to your block and drilling your C crank for oil pressure or making cam bearings! (You know the hard shit!?):D

Hey, aren't you the President of the REDDING RAMBLING A'S?
    You should see if that's something you can make happen?
    I'll go race there for sure! I believe that track has been an official drag strip since the 50's!:D
    Joe

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  6. Awesome! thanks for sharing that with us! What is the stroke of the crank and length of the rods?
    Joe

7. Very nice, I recognized the crank and rods as being Crower.
    The Fronty should breathe pretty well, show us more pics!!

John

8. Hmm?? I've never heard of using a V/8 60 clutch. I guess your hooks up decently.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    I do have a line on a C crank though. We will have to see how those negotiations work out. What are you using to surface heads, Bridgeport? I have a Police Head I want to put on the coupe but it will need a surfacing before I run it.
    Yes I am the Prez. The biggest issue is my members are all very old and wouldn't be much into racing, but if some younger more enthusiastic guys were into it maybe I could use my Presidential sway to get it going.

9. Maybe at the next F.A.S.T. meeting we could bring that up, meanwhile you should get a hold of whomever is in charge of the strip to get the cost?
    I do have a Big milling machine like a bridge port with a digital scale but this is what will be used for milling a head. The milling machine would work for fly cutting! Oh yeah, I have a few C cranks too!:D Actually, I have a B block with the Line Boring already done with billet mains too, that I'm thinking about selling. It's cut 35 over now but once I get the pistons and know what rings I'll be running the other 5 thousand will be honed in.
    Joe
    [​IMG]

10. FOO SURE!! I'll look into the cost of the strip. When's the next FAST meeting
    That's a great machine. I might have to bring the head down and have you demonstrate it
    The crank is in an A block with big valves already done. It's just a matter of getting the owner to part with it. He says his garage floor might float away without the motor to hold it down!!:D

11. That machine isn't mine but it's exactly like the one I have full access to down the street from me!
    About the meeting, don't you get the F.A.S.T. news letters?

12. I do get the newsletter but can't find this months I must have deleted it. I just sent an email to the dragstrip asking about cost, insurance, etc.... We'll see what they say? In looking through their events calendar it appears like they are not very busy. Hopefully they would welcome an event like this.

13. Several questions at once. First, yes I like to take things apart to see how they work. Yes I should send all of these out to get rebuilt. Probably will after I mess with them......
    First. Model B fuel pump. Is this brass screw thing replaceable? Do other cheaper pumps have the same part? I may need to destroy this one to get it out. been playing with it for a couple weeks now.

Second, Completete Mallory... can the sharpie be blasted off? Other suggestions?

Third, Cast Iron Mallory. This thing turns but is full of crud. How does the plate come off? Do the two connection points for the points come out?

Thanks! IMG_2232.JPG IMG_2233.JPG IMG_2234.JPG

14. Use a dremel to clean up that slot so you can get a better grip. Use thinner to remove sharpie marks. The two insulators on the inside of the mallory case need to be removed before that plate comes out.

15. yea.... been working on the fuel pump. Slot isn't as bad as it looks. May need to drill it and use an easy out. sprayed it. hammered it, heat and cold. just not busting loose. Thinking of filing flat spots on it to use a wrench on.

So acetone won't hurt the distributor cap?

16. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

The trick is to use a center drill to drill things out....... They don't wander a easily.

I've a surprise for you all tomorrow It's 3:30 in the morning and I'm going to bed now

17. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

Hmm?? I've never heard of using a V/8 60 clutch
    must live in a cave . ive been running the v8 9" for years in my a

*** cant wait jimski

18. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Many years ago a very old friend and prewar professional racer gave me a folio of race car blueprints. I thought I could get some scanned and post a few but the local shop in our small town won't have them ready today ...... so will doc this as soon as they get them done, sorry.

Juggler likes this.
  19. I have only heard of it called a V8 clutch. Is the V8 60 and V8 the same clutch?

20. Yeah but the later 9 inch with the tractor style pressure plate with the weights, The Faster you rev, the more clamping force you get!:D

21. I believe I have a pile of about 5 of those pressure plates. I didn't know there was different ones. I'll take a picture tonight if I remember

22. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

image.jpg Looks good for now, may need revisions once I see how it looks in a frame - 32 rails, Shadow Rods Model A style crossmember, B engine & transmission to a K-member...

Tiny likes this.
  23. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1461888079.061797.jpg Ok guys here's what I have for pressure plates. All 3 appear to be different sizes

Dannerr likes this.
  24. 64crump

64crump
    from Alta Loma

Hey Guys,
    Bring your bangers out to the Antique Nationals. We will have a Specialty parking area for those that don't want to run. Classes for Flathead and Overhead, Model A's, B's, and T's. Meet some of your Banger Heros.
    2016 AN 11x17-Flyer.jpg

25. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I have only heard of it called a V8 clutch. Is the V8 60 and V8 the same clutch?"
    the v8 60 was the first v8 with 60 hp . I have a spare pressure plate if some one wanted it . 9" disc

26. I've never had a V8 60 but That's the clutch and pressure plate I was advised to run with a lightened fly wheel and yes it's a big 9 inch.:D
    I think some of the bigger V8's have larger than 10 to even 11. When I ordered mine they said it was a V8 60, It was all new! I've heard of running a 10 in a Banger, but I wanted less rotating mass! and most of all, not to run into any problems! (been through enough of that stuff!)
    Joe

27. I'm trying to find a picture of the engine hanging in the air ready for install, with the clutch and pressure plate on it.
    When I do, I will post it!
    [​IMG]

28. I looked through all my albums. I remember installing it (Clutch and pressure plate) then it was hanging down, so I quickly installed the trans and stabbed her in!
    Joe
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

29. RussTee

RussTee

Well have spent well over a year building my Rutherford overhead motor only to find when we got it running I had been sold a pup the engine filled with water at first I thought with all the work and machining putting in the new crank rods and pistons the oiling for the crank and all the other hundred and one little things you do to make a reliable motor that the block had cracked we pulled it down checked it and the block appeared ok. So next we checked the head looked ok but when we put a water test on it the little gallery to supply water to the valve train popped out it had been machined into the head itself and glued in thats right glued also water was coming out one of the stud holes either the core had shifted or it was just a fault in the casting so what now . Well we are going to weld the aluminium oilfeed into the casting(aluminium) and then see if we can drill and sleeve the stud hole to seal it up this head already owes me about ten thousand dollars once you count the purchase cost the cost of finding and making all the missing parts machining and importing it. Customs here sent it back because it was packed in a wood case that looked like it may have had some woodworm in it so I had to pay to get it repacked and re import it then duty and costs (they went over it like it was filled with drugs) Please guys if you are going to sell something to another country please dont send it as if it is a complete new old stock item and at least send it in a state that is somewhere near useable I am more than a bit pissed , it would have been cheaper to make a cylinder head here as I did on my Tee roadster than go through all this crap never mind Im going to spend more money and hope I can get this thing to work the joys of spreading the banger word in a far off land.

30. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

Rusty sorry to hear things have not gone well with your engine
    I feel your pain while most my experience have been good I have had the odd bad experience importing parts that were not as advertised (ie junk)