Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Changing from 2 bulb taillight to 1

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by minijoey, Apr 25, 2016.

1. minijoey

minijoey

Hey There,

Working on a new project, my '47 olds series 66.
    It's a car that has potential but is missing a lot of cool and some things are lame.
    For example the taillights, these where trailer lights build in the bumper.
    I changed them for '40s chevy lights which are awesome. Now it comes to the wiring.
    The way the car is wired now is for 2 bulbs per taillight.
    1-double light bulb for driving light and indicator
    2 - brake light.
    Since I am changing to 1 bulb light the brake and indicator should be on the same wire.
    I have a very unfinished nova that has it like this, I just don't now if the brake overrules indicator or visa versa.
    The big question: How to wire this and make sure that if I brake my front indicator doesn't turn on.
    Or if I indicate the other side doesn't (since brake is only 1 wire)

All info, help or wire diagrams are more than welcome.

Thank you

Joey
    IMG_0419.JPG

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Turn signal over rules the brake light. See if you can find a wiring diagram. All American cars used the same system so it doesn' t make much difference what wiring diagram you find. The only difference is what kind of turn signal switch you have. As turn signals were not mandatory when your car was built, it may have the factory optional switch, an after market switch, or no switch at all.

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If the old wiring is still there you could hook up the wires temporarily by twisting them together and see what you get. If you get it right, tail lights should be bright, brake lights brighter, and turn signal makes the brake light blink .

If there is no wiring it will depend what kind of turn signal switch you have.

4. F&J

F&J

Count how many wires that come from the guts of the turn signal switch. If it has 3 or 4, then the brake lights cannot be wired through that switch. If it has 7, then is will be able to have brake lights wired to it.

I am guessing it is 3 or 4 wire switch, but I could be wrong. You can make a 3-4 wire switch work with single double filament bulbs, if you use the electronic "trailer converter" box. Here in the USA, we get those from auto parts stores, or U-Haul rental places.

(that converter was made for cars that have a separate bulb on each side for the signals on rear of car, and using a trailer that does not have multiple bulbs)

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

There's room in those taillights to run 2 bulbs, if your wiring was intact & working as is. Simply enlarge the hole with the plastic lens for inside trunk lighting & add another socket.

6. minijoey

minijoey

Thanks everybody.
    The brake does not go to the turnswitch and is a seperate wire
    I did order a converter, apparently not available here in europe so it has to cross the big puddle now.

Thnx

7. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Here's how a seven wire turn signal switch works

[​IMG]