Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Juding @ car shows??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, Apr 25, 2016.

?
  1. Two classes home vs. professional

67 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No classes for home vs. professional

67 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Beaner are you off your meds again?o_O:D

2. This is a great idea and I know some dads still in scouting. I have one trophy, best in show for a model car I built in 1999. My son was 7 and I had him carry it into the house to show mom... trophy was 2' tall.

My kids entered a fire department art contest, I swore some of the trophies they got were re-purposed. They were really big, lol.

3. Best colour combination :cool:

4. Well you really can't eat oxy every day. Too hard on the organs. :D

falcongeorge likes this.
  5. I go to a few shows- pay the fee- try to park near an exit- look at the cars- take a few pictures- exit early and drive someplace to get a bite to eat- seems like the shows we attend- the clubs vote for club members- I do have some trophies- those that I got for long distance or the hand crafted trophy mean the most-

6. Oh I beg to differ... it's that Tylenol crap in it that eats your gizzard. They got me on extended release oxycontin right now, no Tylenol.

7. I build what I like and not many others like a '59 Ford with a built up Chevy SBC in it. But everything is well done and clean, so I'm happy, my helpers are happy. The neighborhood kids on the bikes that ride back and forth when I have it running in the driveway like it. This is what matters.

tfeverfred likes this.
  8. I could really care less about trophy's. I go to as many shows as I can with my dad because its just something we have always done since I was born. 38 years of shows together and those memories are priceless. I won a trophy once with a 66 El Camino I once had. A plaque really as it was made to hang on the wall, for peoples choice. It is currently holding up one leg of my workbench to keep it level. Works great!

9. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

ON EDIT to my original post.
    I DO enter my Biscayne in the car shows a few times a year.....not to win anything, but to have a good place to park it..as I don't walk well..
    Example is the upcoming Autorama in WI Dells....would never be able to find a place to park, or walk around inside to see the cars....

Atwater Mike likes this.
  10. Well, I said a longgg time ago why even bother to take a car to a show ?? Cause 99.9% of us can't compete with the boys with deep pockets. Their cars are a work of art & beautiful. (( how did rat rods evolve ? )) :confused: I take one of mine now & then anyway. And I drive it. For the simple reason I just enjoy seeing cars built by guys on some kind of moderate budget and to get an idea or two for mine. And maybe they would enjoy looking mine over. As for me, skip the trophy//wall plaques. All they do is clutter up the mantle above the fireplace. I propose we all bring our rides for the simple, down home pleasure everyone gets from visiting with friends and the car owners. No classes, no trophies, just the name//address of the owners on the car. o_O How about a burger joint or two and some soft ice cream ? :) Gosh, it's starting to sound like cruise night isn't it? ;) Could that be why they are so popular?? :cool:

tfeverfred likes this.
  11. My $.02
    I have 13 trophys for this car.
    I'm sure I have pissed off a lot of guys!!!!
    I am totally NON competative.
    But I am proud of the ones for
    " Most Typifies Vintage Hot Rodding"!
    and
    "Period Perfect"
    I go to car shows to see the people, BS about the cars,
    enjoy the stories and live the life, Give history lessions
    about early hot rodding to the kids and newbies, and learn
    from the guys older than me (Not many of them left!),
    NOT for the trophys!
    In my mind I can still be 18 and a juvenile delinquent
    And yes I will admit I kind of like a lawn chair once in a while!
    However the driving is what is best!
    10700275_10202717126465745_7191687916352057701_o.jpg

drivewaycustoms, CME1, pat59 and 2 others like this.
  12. Gman0046

Gman0046

There is only one reason I ever go to what you would call a car show and that is to look at other cars. I know what my car looks like. I don't open my hood and could care less what anyone thinks of my cars. Last fall I did make an exception and went to a show at a local church where all proceeds went to charity. It was the first time I ever took my 64 Biscayne anywhere. There was a pretty good turnout. I never opened the hood or trunk. The guys walking around with clip boards judged the car and it did win a top ten trophy. Once is enough I don't want to become a trophy whore. It won't happen again.

Gary IMG_0812.JPG

13. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

No, he gets off on his meds....!!:oops:

falcongeorge likes this.
  14. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I have a car at a show, I end up spending most of the time with my car because I enjoy talking to people about it and I want to be available to answer questions. If really want to wander around and see all the cars, I don't generally show a car.

15. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Its more the qualifications of the judges... rarely is it a real car guy / girl. It's been my experience that If you are competing (same class) against one of the "local" car club gents your best hope is 2nd!

16. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

What I like are the guys that enter "daily driver" when it doesn't even have one speck of bug ever! BS "moroon"! You can't drive anywhere and not have some evidence!

17. I think Danny says it best, trophy whores, hahaha, for me it's the trip, not the destination, love driving my hot rod!!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  18. O.Hove

O.Hove
    Member Emeritus
    from S.D.

trad27 i am with you

19. I've always said, yeah it's about the cars but, it's really about the people.

20. The cruise nights are the best. Mostly attended by the those who bust their knuckles and bleed on the garage floor now and then. Sure there are guys there with bought cars, but they stay to themselves. I like to talk to others, how they did something on their car.. pick their brain, they pick mine. I've seen some real great sleepers... very unassuming cars that have some power under the hood.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  21. I go to a lot of the local shows but it's to look at other people's rides. I rarely sit by my own. The hood stays down unless somebody stops me and asks questions about the motor, then I'll offer to pop the hood for them. I've only won 2 trophies with the car. 1st show I took it to was an all Mopar show and I won 3rd place in my class, so that one is special to me. Last year I won a trophy at a show at my High School for 2nd place "Best Junker", I thought that 1 was pretty funny so I put that out on display.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Anyone ever know a fat chick that was constantly complaining about how guys were always trying to get into their pants?? I dont know why, but for some reason, as I was reading this thread, that kept coming into my head...
    If you are really scared that some nasty ol' judge is going to try to force a trophy down your throat, do like I do, park outside the show.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  23. Actually the wife and I were laughing about that, February is pretty much a blurrrrr, then I started tapering back. Now I am only taking about half a pain pill once or twice a week, I am 2 weeks into without and I can finally take them recreationally again. :D :D

Uh, I like fat chicks. mean-devil-smiley-emoticon.gif

And thanks for the visual, now if I ever get a trophy it will make me feel like a punk. :eek: :D

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  24. Coulda used a nice fat chick this past winter... the cat only throws off so much heat cuddled up to me at night.

I get 90 of my main pain medication per month.... 3 a day and months with 31 days suck. Love February for some reason... they got me on something new with a slow release to go with that. May as well be eating tic-tacs for all the effect it has. Hoarded up 6 of the main ones for the day we put the engine in the Ford. I really don't get that many to abuse.

25. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

They should just give everybody that shows up a trophy that way everyone feels special.

falcongeorge and arkiehotrods like this.
  26. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Trophies and Judging are two different subjects. Iam a Participant. Anything Iam involved with as far as organizing is basically a party and people brought their cars and trucks. Participants are there because they want to be and get it.We just have a good time.And if anything is given out its a door prize and the decision is made by the one that made the door prize.Simple simple Simple

i.rant likes this.
  27. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

including Parking Meter Maid for illegal parking

Tony Martino likes this.
  28. dave plmley

dave plmley

In my opinion an award requires one must do something above and beyond to earn said reward. That being said, I earned a letter for every sport I played in high school, at nineteen years old I was a highly decorated wounded combat soldier in Viet Nam. I married and have two super sons that are my greatest rewards in life.

I have built cars and bought cars and don’t feel I deserve a trophy for any of them. If you believe you can buy a chunk of tin and wax it and you deserve a reward, you need to get off your ass and earn something the hard way. I wonder who the dumb asshole was that started giving trophies at car shows.

Atwater Mike and Petejoe like this.
  29. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

I work at a Ford Dealer & had the opposite happen with a new Shelby GT500 in 2008. new owner took it to a pro judged Mustang show & they picked it apart. he brought the car in to our body & wanted all the bad marks on the judge sheet fixed under warranty. body shop mgr tried explaining that its a production car, not handbuilt. owner kept saying, "but it cost $60,000" finally an old guy in biboveralls, who saw all this took him over to his new King Ranch F350 dualie sitting there. the old guy pointed out his sticker was $65K & told the guy to shut up, he was being a jerk. laughed our asses off.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  30. stimpy

stimpy

kind of like my buddy who collects O/T firebirds and has a original never been tampered with one owner 78 T/A ( yes A Bandit ) , took it to a show and the judges flunked him on paint , fit and finish , and many of us laughed at the judges , as one wrote down paint has orange peel and runs , we informed the so called" professional judges" of the nature of the car and many said never a GM car left the factory and not had orange peel paint and many firebirds had runs in the rear quarter panel paint ( the guy on 2nd shift had a problem with dark colors ) . and cars with smooth as glass paint should be knocked on non originality points because they were cut and polished ...