Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anglia front axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coololdcars, Apr 27, 2016.

1. I have an aftermarket tube axle with Anglia spindles. Are there any brake kits for these, or can I adapt Ford spindles to it?

2. rooman

rooman

There are quite a few brake kits designed to be used with the aftermarket Anglia configuration spindles. That said, most of them require that tabs be welded to the spindles for the caliper brackets and are usually meant for use with spindle mount wheels rather than hub mount bolt on style. If you have original Anglia spindles you could possibly make your own caliper brackets and use the rest of the kit (hubs, discs and calipers etc). That said these kits are intended for light cars on the track and may not work well in a street environment with a heavier car.

Roo

3. I'd thought about adapting a Ford spindle to the axle, there's a million options for brakes on those......

4. Larry T

Larry T

Ford spindles on an Anglia axle would be pretty tough, but I guess you can do anything if you try hard enough. Ford spindles are twice as big as Anglia spindles.

Here's what you're dealing with.

Cheapest way out would probably be to have a new axle built to accept Ford spindles. If you try to modify your original axle, you'll have to narrow it, because the Ford spindles center the wheel a couple of inches farther away from the kingpin than the Anglia spindle does.

Anglia spindles 003.JPG Anglia spindles 004.JPG

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016

5. call the chassis shop in Michigan. they offer stiletto spindles. they are forged chromoly.

6. Wow, what a difference!! It already has an aftermarket tube axle, so maybe I just need to get another tube axle made with Ford spindles. Maybe someone could use what I have for a dragster !@!!

7. This is what I have 20160427_144010.jpg 20160427_143943.jpg

8. Phil1934

Phil1934

Ron Pope has an Anglia width tube axle (42" kingpin c to c) for Ford spindles on ebay

9. The spindles I have almost look like the bigger Ford ones??!!?? If not the Pope axle would be hard to beat !! 20160427_143937.jpg

10. I believe the angles for camber are different. call super bell in ms. you cant mix and match

11. Phil1934

Phil1934

See if your axle kingpin boss height is 1-3/4" (Anglia) or 2" or 2-1/4" (Ford)

12. Larry T

Larry T

If you're working on an Anglia (kinda looks like it) the stock axle is around 41" kingpin to kingpin. If you use spindlemount wheels, they move the wheels out some and you need an axle that is around 39" kingpin to kingpin to keep the tread width close to original. If you use early Ford spindles, then the kingpin distance needs to be around 37" to keep the tread width close to original.

13. randydupree

randydupree
    from archer fl

i have a set of anglia spindles with disc brakes and calipers.
    Bought them for my speed racer and never used them,
    They are used,in good shape.
    $200

14. Larry T

Larry T

Coololdcars,
    Your picture looks like stock Anglia spindles, "wide 5" hubs and stock 16" wheels. If you go with a different wheel combination, your tread width will be wider.

Stock front end vs. tube axle for early Ford with Magnum hubs. Both about stock width.

Anglia spindles 005.JPG Anglia spindles 006.JPG

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  15. Randy Dupree, Are they heavy enough for street use?

16. I do have Anglia spindles. So a tube axle with 37" king pin to king pin with early Ford spindles will fit ? I'll probably run 15 x 4 1/2 Gasser style wheels (Halibrand style knockoffs)

17. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1463632439.530750.jpg

Play safe with those small ass spindles

18. Terry Pease

Terry Pease

If you still have those anglia spindles I am Looking for a pair