Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Street Racing in Cuba

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Street Racing in Cuba

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

falcongeorge and patrick english like this.
  2. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

That Was really cool.Thanks for sharing That.

3. Very interesting, early in that clip they mention illegal street racing in Cuba but later they say it was banned in 1962 and they are having races with permission from the government and police (and they say thanks to the clubs). Does that mean it's no longer illegal or is it somehow sanctioned?

Just curious.

4. I spent a week in Havana back in 04. Incredible place, a total time warp. My buddy just got back from there, and he invited me to go again...

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

That is mindblowing

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks - helps show how spoiled, for the most part, we are here - even for those of us on limited budgets - creativity, ingenuity and perseverance are common threads for all of us

Danekejt likes this.
  7. Really cool, stepping back in time!

8. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. slowmotion

slowmotion

Extra wide lanes. Luxurious.

10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The government also allows them to conduct some races on old airstrips; just do a YouTube.Com search for drag racing in CUBA. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

11. Gotta admit those Cuban's have a love for their cars & racing, with a statement like ...

" I'd rather buy a carburetor than food for the house" HRP​

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Sometimes I see someone on the H.A.M.B. complain about not having the money to do things to their car, or they aren't able to find the parts they need.
    Imagine having little to no money for anything, and still being able to put a car together.
    These guys are able to do so much, with so little, for so long, that they are now capable of doing almost anything with nothing! That's dedication to the hobby!
    KK

13. If these guys ever get out of there, John Force is in big trouble.:D;)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. Got to admire there drive and gumpshun,its a hard life down there.

15. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

They have my total respect. Now that's true hot rodding in the deepest sense. Thanks Ryan for posting this. Hope to travel there someday.

16. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

That is awesome. And here we cant even put together a little get together at our local parking lot. And they over there raceing for breakfast lol.

17. jroberts

jroberts

I saw a piece a while back with a guy who was resurrecting a '55 or so Mercedes SLC in Cuba. I cannot imagine trying get parts for that thing. As has been said many times, it is unbelievable what the folks down there can do with almost nothing. Thanks for posting this.

18. k9racer

k9racer

I have a friend who is a Missionary who's church group have been going to Cuba for many years. she is very honest but she has smuggled in spark plugs and points for some farmers. She gave me a note with 239 ford engine so I gave her parts for a Flat head and a Y block.

19. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

Velocity did a short series called Cuban Chrome it was interesting , filmed a year or two before it was ready to air,some of the cars are used as TAXI,s few have the luxury of having 2 cars, one character had Poncho with a Russian Diesel engine, it was taking a toll on the frame before opting out to a twin cam turbo 4 cylinder from I don't what, they did not elaborate a make, all these guys are close knit and belong to a club or trying to become a member of a club and they help each other out ,they also have the support of their families one member has a Black 32 Ford coupe with street exhaust or ZOOMIES for the weekend, family members who bring parts in there luggage have to declare it in customs , there is $ value limit, guys with parts know what parts are in high demand and take advantage pay there price or nothing sometimes they will budge a little on the price

20. That is a good show, they started re-airing it last week.

21. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

I wouldn't call it spoiled, We have FREEDOM for the most part!

22. flamingokid

flamingokid

I got this feeling that I want to go hang out with these guys. :)

23. k9racer

k9racer

Well on the news I have seen boats or barges made from a 1948 Mercury airport lemo. The navy sunk it in the gulf. Next was a 50 or so 1 and half ton truck it almost made it and the same guy later made it to usa soil and he was given a job at a chevy dealship...

24. bhead1968

bhead1968
    from so-fla

Amen brother.

Ryan thanks for posting awesome vid.

hotrodtodd1960 likes this.
  25. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

A good percentage of my customers at work are Cuban, and they are really very cleaver, inventive people. They figure out how to make something work and aren't afraid to re-engineer something. Hell, they strap Buicks to barrels and make the 90 mile trip from there to Key West pretty often !

I am not big on traveling to other places, but Cuba is on my list, especially since they have semi opened it up now. I want to see the real Cuba before it becomes too Americanized by travelers and money infusion. I have a bunch of old hot rod magazines to take with me to hand out........I bet they would love them.

Nice video, Ryan, thanks for sharing it with us.

Don

26. justachevyguy

justachevyguy
    from Miami, Ok.

Funny I don't see my reply post from last night. I guess it was taken down because it spoke the truth.

Freedom is never free..................

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

No man. We just don't allow politics here of any kind. Cars are more important than that stuff.

justachevyguy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  28. My sister is in Havana tonight! Last year our Club managed to send some much needed 40's parts to a car club in Cuba along with a invitation to visit with them. No reply...... yet.... but I told my sister get me a name & a number so when I go this year I can "hook up" with really car guys/girls there. The "Gow" lives everywhere!! Long live the GOW!!

29. HeloCrewChief

HeloCrewChief
    from 253 Tacoma

Thank you for posting that. My father left Cuba on a raft in 1974. He has been a mechanic his entire life and continues to work as a service adviser at a Buick/GMC dealer. Hardest working guy I've ever met and is now 71. He had some great stories of working on some really rare stuff and I can only imagine the cars sitting around hidden on that island. His buddy had several mangled Ferraris and other rare cars from races that were held on the island pre Castro. He said he remembers different harleys, corvettes etc. Would love to revisit his old stomping grounds with him but, he refuses to go until Castro is gone. He got me into this hobby and his love for this country is what inspired me to do a 6 year stint with the 82nd Airborne...

Tman and Torkwrench like this.