Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I made a mistake......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GTS225, Apr 25, 2016.

1. GTS225

GTS225

and bought a cheap turn signal switch from a swap meet vendor. It didn't even make it all the way through last season.
    Looking for some recommendations for a good quality, universal turn signal switch. Brake lights are isolated from the turn signal circuit, so all I really need is left/right, and 4-ways. It would be nice to have the pilot(s) located in the switch housing, too.

Roger

2. take the switch apart, they can usually be fixed easily enough. dirty contacts, too much grease on contacts, bent contacts etc........

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Or... buy an old one from the '40s/'50s, U.S. companies used to make quality stuff.

lothiandon1940 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  4. clem

clem

What happened ?

For what it is worth...
    The most common ones don't earth very well.
    So I opened mine up, installed an earth wire and was good to go.

5. X2 on that. God knows how long the one in 51 Chevy has been there but it still has fabric wire on it. And it works great every day of the week. I'll be rewiring the car soon and I'll be using that switch again.

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

look at speedwaymotors.com

7. GTS225

GTS225

The spring-loaded detent inside broke on me, and it can now start blinking on it's own, and is also intermittent in operation.

Roger

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Blinkie.
    upload_2016-4-25_21-9-43.png
    Looks legit, cool electronics, self canceling, 4 ways, I think it only fits 1 1/2" columns.

10. I'm seeing these listed between $400-$500.

11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Uh, sorry, I forgot to mention that part. It's the only think I found that was really wrong with it.

12. GTS225

GTS225

Billy; It's a great looking piece, but as Graham pointed out, it's a bit outside the size of my checkbook. Thanks for posting.
    What I have is a cheap knock-off of the Signal Stat 900. I may go ahead and try a real 900, but the appearance is spooking me a bit.
    Thanks for helping, guys.

Roger

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Hand signals. Free AND reliable.

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Jet96 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. big57daddy

big57daddy

x2 on the Signal Stat 900. I also had a cheap one from China that didn't work properly even when new. Based on recommendations from the HAMB brethren, I got a Signal Stat 900 and couldn't be happier. It does cost a bit more - but it works (and I hate doing wiring stuff, so more than happy not to have to re-do the switch).
    cheers, Ray

16. E.F. VaBeach

E.F. VaBeach

GTS225 - I have a new-in-the-box switch you can have for free. It's the universal version, band clamp column mount, just like a couple guys have posted above. Chrome housing, L/R/Hazard & lighted indicators on the housing. Let me know if you want it. E.F. VaBeach

17. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Now that offer is like a sore pecker,you just cant beat it! Good for you Sir!

18. tb33anda3rd likes this.
  19. brandonstc

brandonstc
    from Newton, MS

I use a signal stat 900 and it works great. I took mine off a Mack truck in a Junk Yard but it hadn't been on the truck very long and was basically new.

20. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I have a Ron Francis single pole double throw switch under my dash, using mu existing tail light and extra front lights, it does not have 4 way and is not self cancelling so I added 2 lights to the dash so I know when they are on... not what you wanted but works good and didn't break the bank

21. GTS225

GTS225

***********************************************************************************************************

I'm sorely tempted to just rely on old-school hand signals, but so many folks nowadays just don't have the smarts required to understand what they see.
    I'll take you up on that offer, E.F., although I wasn't looking for a freebie, just a recommendation. What would you need to get it to 50707, a 10-spot?

Roger

22. I have an old push button job from a 50s bus. I'll have to cancel it myself but wired through a relay, it should work forever!

23. flyboy89

flyboy89
    from So. Cal.

When using hand signals, be sure to use all your fingers

Jet96 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  24. GTS225

GTS225

*********************************************************************************************************************

HMMPH! No "cross-town Howdy" wave, then. Spoilsport!

Roger

25. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I used hand when out in my Crosley about four years...Mostly all finger but on occasion one worked better, found while most people recognized the hand gesture I could see they were still looking for lights...Got tired of maneuvering through the sliding glass windows especially when cold out.. I added lights and lucky the wire harness was for a later car that had turn signals so I found all the wires and got a relatively inexpensive turn signal switch from "pacific" [can't remember whole name] on ebay...Not self canceling nor was I remembering so I removed the detent and adjusted [welded and filed] it so it has to be held in the "on" position...Way better...

26. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Problem with hand signals is young folks think your just waving at them.
    Had one pass me on the right shoulder while I was turning right a couple of years ago.
    I bought one of he Signal Stat copies from Speedway and I works ok for the most part.

54fierro likes this.
  27. E.F. VaBeach

E.F. VaBeach

Roger, The part's yours - I sent you my contact info via private conversation. E.F.

28. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

29. Falcon H

Falcon H
    from Waco Texas