Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Juding @ car shows??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, Apr 25, 2016.

?
  1. Two classes home vs. professional

67 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No classes for home vs. professional

67 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. 34Larry

34Larry

Probably opening the preverbal can of worms here, but was wondering if my opinion on judging at car show's is as it should be??
    Myself I'm long past trophy hunting any more, in fact I get bored after seeing the cars, bench racing for awhile, having my sandwich with a beer, so I pull out and head for what my ride was made for, a nice after noon drive. Been awhile since I did sow since I sold the '66 Rivi. GS, factory dual quad, 425 in 2012 and invested some of the $$,$$$.$$ in my '34. And as the Rivi. got its share of awards, it was never in a class where there were home built rides, (except for best of show). So now that I have built one from the ground up, and am in that position I am of the opinion that I should not have to compete with the professional built cars that are owned by owners who just have deep pockets. No offence intended to those folks at all, they enjoy the hobby certainly as much as I and any one else does. Their rides are ever bit entitled to be shown and should be. However when I see an owner of a Kindiget (sp)? of "bitchin rides" car, or any other custom shop show car, being judged against a home built car, I wonder if it is right.
    So I'd like to see two classes, and staging areas. One for the professional built and one for the home built cars. Probably just me, but that's my feeling.

2. Gman0046

Gman0046

Don't know about y'all, but I don't care about car judging or No Stinkin Trophies. I'm into building and driving.

Gary

3. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

I myself have grown to like the evening cruises more than the shows.

4. Awards are nice,especially when you built the car and it is judged along side the pro built no limit high dollar cars.

At the end of the day,enjoy your car and let the trophy whores worry about the accolades,if by chance you get selected you obviously deserve it. HRP

vert1940, Hnstray, D-Russ and 4 others like this.

5. trad27

trad27

Unless there's a dash plaque to throw on the tool box I don't even register for the awards. Couldn't care less. Just go to have a good time meet new people and see people I've met at other shows. And see other cars.

6. Could give a rat's ass about trophy's. To those that build cars to win trophy's , re-think things, you might just be in this hobby for the wrong reasons. I met enough ego driven assholes for two life times.

T-roaster, H380, Atwater Mike and 4 others like this.
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

take a look at the judging categories that the Good Guys use - kind of do what you are talking about - most types of judging will not be totally fair - even for guys that build 'em at home the skill/talent/budget levels can be extremely different - I am in the "guys that can take a new bolt & nut and strip the threads" category - had a friend that had the nick name "1/2 Day" because he would be ready to go from a show by Noon - I call myself "1/4 Day" because, like you say, seen the rides, seen friends, been through the parts section, etc and ready to go - sometimes go to another close by show - have done 4 shows in one day but, too expensive to do too often - trophies are great but, do not need one to enjoy a show.

8. dave plmley

dave plmley

aint it the truth!! (I bought a Corvette and a matching jacket, give me a trophy)

9. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

If I had a car any longer that was trophy-competitive, then that car would be far too nice for the likes of me.

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Trophies and shows are lame. My best car shows were on the street, taking a drive to no where. If I want to see my friends, I just drive over. Haven't been to a show in a long time. Never could get used to paying for people to look at my car. Never could get used to sitting in a lawn chair to make sure no one takes something off my car. Like a cool shift knob that came up missing.

Keep it on the streets. That's where hot rods belong.
    I didn't vote because you didn't have "bull shit" as a choice.

Movinman, jeffd1988 and little red 50 like this.
  11. Where do you draw the line? Can a home built car have a professional paint job? Interior? Chassis?
    Just how much does home built mean home built? Sounds unnecessary and impossible to prove.

Mick

12. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

trophyPart of Barlows.jpg Wish I had kept a copy of the rule sheets we used back in the very early 60s,I remeber one set being NHRA an one from a car mag. Both were pretty good with class an how to judge them,later on things kind got werid with counting points for how many spotlights an radio ant. ect. Today the class's are extra werid made up by show promtors that many times only know what a Mustang or Vetts is,with no idea what hotrods even are other then those things!. So my 1928A hotrod gets lumped with drag cars ,sportscars an anything they know nothing about. Its a sign of the times I guess. Yet I enjoy the ride to an from an the talk with some cool guys. We go most of the time in a group of 5 to 8 hotrods,so is almost a prade to an from.
    Oh was there trophys? LOL,
    I been getting them for both racing an car shows,starting in the 1950,many too tall to do anything with other then lay down in two spair coat closits,even retaged some to give away at our club shows n meets when our club was short on$$$ to buy any a few times. Its fun for me with or with out trophys,it's the cool cars an talk I like best.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    wicarnut and stillrunners like this.
  13. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I get the idea of trophys at car shows, but I think it's kind of weird that every cruise night thinks they have to have winners and trophys. I guess maybe they do need to do that to get any participation. I always thought it was just fun to go and hang out, walk down the rows of cars and look at them, talk to the owners, get a burger and a coke. But apparently that's not what everyone else is there for, they're there for a trophy. And as soon as the winners are announced everyone clears out; look out, don't get in the way! It's just a strange little part of the car enthusiast scene.

Selection of the winners tends to be rather subjective, I've known people selected to be judges who had no freakin' idea what they were looking at.

14. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

As for pro or not? Well awfull lot of pros are not all that good, an a lot of us home builders do better stuff on low $. I do always get a smile out of saying,ya I built it in my garage at home.

15. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Trophy's are for Bitches in my book . If your lookin for a Trophy get her to ride to the show and home with you! Just my feelings . Comes from years of toolin solo on an oil droppin knuckle ! My stuff is home built , knuckle busted in my garage , the trophy is when I hit the key and go petal , down the road I go and return home . I can see the trophy everytime I go in my garage . Entered in one big show years ago , drove my car , 2nd place in a National Car Show . Other guys Screamin , they trailered states to show up and , "He gets second in a driver!" . I didn't claim the 5 ft tall trophy , no where to strap it in on the ride home , wasn't throwing the Bitch out for a trophy !

DdoubleD and stillrunners like this.
  16. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Trophies- - - I mean KIX- - - are for Kids...

17. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

I like cruise nights for the opportunity to visit, meet new people and look at cars. I like shows for the same reason and especially if the have good swaps associated with them. Judging is what it is. IMHO the big problem is not enough people want to work the events. I never go anywhere thinking trophy but won't turn one down either. In the end fun is where you find it or make it.

drivewaycustoms likes this.
  18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awards at car shows are either an ego builder or and ego destroyer.
    I remember my first outing with the 48 at the 1973 NSRA Street Rod Nationals. 3+ months of busting my ass to have a painted and upholstered truck to drive from Waco to Tulsa and then the neck twisting comparing my truck to others I saw in the 3500+ hot rods at the fairgrounds. Turns out the only award I got and thinking back it was a damned good one was when I went back to the truck after one of my rounds of the fairgrounds and a high school age kid was having his photo taken standing beside my truck because he had one like it at home he was working on. 43 years later that is still special to me.
    That also brought me to the point of reality where I haven't spent much time pondering if I was in for an award or not over the past 43 years. Last award I got was for longest time unfinished. Not anyone at that event whining that I beat them out on that.

Personally I'd have to say that if you build it yourself and want awards build it right and spend the time to pay attention to detail. That extra hour here to get something perfect rather than just good enough to get by is what makes the difference between a show winner and one that doesn't win "because" .

Hnstray, traffic61 and lawman like this.
  19. wicarnut

wicarnut

Thinking, NSRA and GOODGUYS does have a home built area for displaying your car and for judging. Never have had anything that good to compete at that level, big shows, LOTS of beautiful rides. On local shows, cruises, My cars do OK, BUT my thoughts on trophy's, If I get lucky and win, KOOL, if not, all is good. The day I come home pissed over not winning a trophy is the the last show I will attend and will seek out a different path for my car addiction. I am a competitive person by nature and do want ruin my hobby (Passion) over small stuff. Through all the years, I still enjoy the travel, cruises and most of the people. Everyone likes some recognition for their efforts, especially the men that build their rides and their pride is their reward. The bar has been set very high with the quality of hot rods today, to be a serious "Trophy Hound" A LOT of $$$ involved today to say the least.

Hnstray likes this.
  20. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

When we moved into our current shop, I tossed about 8 trophies into the dumpster......all they did was collect dust. I don't even do local car shows or cruise nights any more, you see the same cars and people over and over, and sitting on a lawn chair is not my idea of fun.

When I did used to go to shows, I would leave before trophy time and sometimes someone would come up to me later and say they had a trophy for me that I had won. The first couple were nice, but then I lost interest in them altogether. People's choice is also a joke, because the guy with the most friends there stuff the box and he gets a trophy.

Don

21. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Our club has increased the door prizes, which are generally something you can use. We still hand out trophies, because there are some people that really want the recognition for their polish jobs and Armor All. We want everyone to come away with something. For most, that's a just a good time. We're glad everyone shows up, so we reward participation. The club has started making their own trophies. Generally, this makes the trophies more interesting and cheaper-so we can spend more on door prizes. If you are not spending a ton on trophies, and/or get good sponsorship, you can afford to have a lot of different categories. We've never done amateur vs pro, but we do have a class for youth, so they don't have to compete against more monied and experienced builders. The vehicle classes are also set up so that similar cars are competing against each other. It somewhat reduces the likelihood that your cheap car has to compete against a much more expensive car that warrants a more detailed restoration. We also have special categories like roughest car, diamond in the rough, and people's choice. Mostly, the trophies are part of the club's legacy. It's been done that way for 45 years, so we keep up that tradition for one show a year. It's easy to notice and we're glad that attendance is bigger at the monthly cruise nights where no registration or judging is required.

Some of the big time car shows have junior and senior divisions, but those divisions sort of work against the hobbyist in the reverse of what you suggest. You have to place in a junior division before you can even be considered for a senior award.

22. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

A trophy goes on your arm, as in my case for 40+ years. Just my .02.

millersgarage and snopeks garage like this.
  23. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

years back was part of a Car Show in Pismo Beach, Ca with my '47 Ford Coupe - most awards were given away by the local Merchants - we went wandering around, and when we came back there was an award plaque on the front seat - went across the street to Thank the merchant - he said it was a easy choice - our car was the first one that he saw when he walked out of his shop - nice and easy, no drama. no waiting for awards presentation at end of day -

dana barlow likes this.
  24. I really do not care about awards at all. When I do go to a local car show, the coupe is the most uncivilized car of the show. Always seem to get parked next to a street rod with power everything, air and and stuffed animals sitting on it. The coupe scares the hell out of them!!!!:eek::D:D

29bowtie, Atwater Mike, pat59 and 3 others like this.
  25. 34Larry

34Larry

Well I voted 2 classes even though like the biggest share of you's all here trophy's and plaques don't mean much to me any more. For the most part that judging is subjective any damn how. I've the most seen idiotic choices made so many times you'd have to laugh your ass off or pity the poor dumb fool for making it if it were solo judging. Take the last time I showed my Rivi. in the local Lions Club fund raiser. The car was awarded "The best headlights",(on the Rivi's they are hidden, roll up and down).
    Some time later I was told by one of the judges I happen to be acquainted with. "We wanted to award you something, your car was so nice and we were running out of categories so since the car fit nicely into that we awarded you that one". Best headlights????????? What a joke, who in the hell came up with that one ? Didn't go for trophy anyhow, I like what they do for the kids with eye problems, and the free dogs at lunch time.
    Oh BTW, the guy I sold the car to wanted the trophy's/plaques (about 25 or so). Wanted to build a trophy wall in the garage he said. Said he would tell his friends the car had won them before he owned it. "No a problem" says I, "They belong with the car".

So now that I see the results so far I figure builders have a much different attitude about "awards" than do "buyers". I have witnessed that myself at times, confirmation noted.

Blues4U and wicarnut like this.
  26. I've never worried about winning awards with my car but what category do you put a car like mine in? It was build mostly by myself, a professional auto painter with experience restoring and customizing cars, in my garage at home?

27. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

The best trophy I can think of is going cross country and home without ending up on a trailer ! 50,000 on the 3 window!

28. Dry Lakes Racer

Dry Lakes Racer
    from So Cal

My idea of a car show is where and when do we eat especially breakfast.:) I like most of you don't give a s--t. I stick to local stuff and enjoy compliments of others and I give out many to the ones I like. I have received quite a few in the past and the ones that mean the most are from the folks walking around or a "Presidents Choice" from the club putting it on. I normally don't know any of the people but enjoy the day in the sunshine.

Blues4U likes this.
  29. Trying to police a 'pro' and 'homebuilt' deal would probably be a nightmare at all but the 'big' shows where the major players are all known. Worse than having 'classes'...

A couple of local clubs use a format I like. Club members' cars can be displayed but are NOT eligible for awards and other than maybe a 'Presidents Choice' and/or some 'sponsored' trophies, most are just 'club picks'. This leaves you wide open to pick cars that are interesting, could be anything from a trailer queen pro-built car to a daily-driver car-port job. Originality and imagination counts, not just fit/finish or the $$$$ spent...

Of course, this format can really piss off the trophy whores with the big $$$$ cars, but does allow the 'little guy' to sometimes get some recognition.

Hnstray and arkiehotrods like this.
  30. stimpy

stimpy

the last car show I went to ( 2005ish ) was the one were a guy brought a brand new MOOSETANG to the show , dealer sticker still in the window and went away with a trophy .. WTF is up with that ??! hell they might as well had the show at the dealership ..