Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Frame VIN

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GonzoMN, Apr 25, 2016.

1. GonzoMN

GonzoMN

Looking at a 39 Ford Coupe.
    Does this VIN look funny?

Picture 2108.jpg

2. alchemy

alchemy

Looks like it's messed up with weld?

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Assuming a *18 just to the left of the--, it would be a correct '39 V8 serial...but looks like the guy on the assembly line was drunk, and then someone with welder and grinder added some trouble...

4. I agree with Bruce. Here is the location to find serial numbers: http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_serialnumbers.htm
    Does the vehicle still have the original transmisson? The same number should be stamped into the transmission case but the DMV doesn't like to use it since it is easy to change transmissions. Although they wouldn't want to use the number from the transmission it might help convince them that they are reading the number on the frame correctly. Worst case the number appears two more places (see the bottom of the page on the site I referenced) under the body. Just lift the body and let them see these numbers (easier said than done).

Charlie Stephens

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

those letters, numbers, star stamped on frame are each done free hand. is that the number on the title? I see a couple of what appear to be rivet heads, no welding. off to the right of one rivet is the number 4 - more numbers there? not called VIN but, identification or serial numbers.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Sure looks like frame! Big rivits!!

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Looks like 2-5 years, depending on the court and the judge.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. I have never heard you could read the numbers without removing the body. Might be good to ask on fordbarn.com and earlyfordv8.org. To quote from the above reference "The locations at the middle and rear of the frame are normally covered up by the body and not visible until the body comes off."

Charlie Stephens

10. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Appears that there are two different height numbers? Even though they are freehand stamped, all vin's I have seen are the same height.

roundvalley likes this.
  11. roundvalley

roundvalley

Big Deuce is correct. Looks like the #8 and the first #3 have been redone for some reason.

12. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

The original "8" is there, but just a poor restamp. The "3" and possibly the "1" could also have be reinstalled because of welding or grinding, but used the wrong height stamp. The "6" font is correct.

13. GonzoMN

GonzoMN

Number matches title.

14. 36brothers

36brothers

Suspicious, what else can you say. Tread lightly.