Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical New type of car battery

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Phil1934, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Phil1934

Phil1934

This came to my facebook.[​IMG] http://www.getohm.com/ It uses capacitors to start car and a small battery pack. At 6# it's lighter than the racing batteries. If priced in line with others it looks good.

2. squirrel

squirrel

10 Amp hour reserve capacity

uh...yeah...that'll work in an old hot rod. Not.

3. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or Yes.

The amp-hour rating describes the battery's ability to deliver a certain amount of current over a certain time. 10 amp hours means 10 amps continuously for an hour, or if you extrapolate, 500 amps for one minute and 12 seconds. The battery is rated at 550 CCA. Not a super large capacity, but it will get the job done for most vehicles.

4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

6 friggin pounds. Good gawd man, as long as it isn't $399 or something stupid, this makes perfect sense for a rod / race car that probably spends most of it's time on a trickle charger anyway. Gary

5. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

WOW...that's a race car part! 6 pounds that's like a trip to the outhouse!

Jet96 likes this.
  6. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Check out Zero Gravity Batteries

7. aaggie

aaggie

It's not that I don't like new technology or appreciate change but I know and trust a good quality sealed lead acid battery. I do have an Optima red top in the trunk mounted box in my '40 Chevy and will admit that it holds a charge for a loooooong time.

8. It's only rated for 50C (122F) maximum environmental temperature, that will sharply limit where you can use it...

9. I'll wait and see......

10. Just fitted a Shorai Lithium Iron battery to an O/T car. It came in a tiny box that actually felt like it was empty. Could have been a Tupperware box with 4 AA batteries in it ;-) Weighed nothing at all. Cost 300 dollars American. Spins that engine over like it was nothing at all.

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. Phil1934

Phil1934

Just got an email. Early sign ups get it for $169 before it goes to $199. With Braille batteries going for over $1500 this seems a deal.

12. LOL I could use it here it seldom gets hotter then 105. :D

You would want it mounted somewhere away from exhaust or engine heat or asphalt. Not inside if you park with the windows up, not below the floor or under the hood. I guess that leaves the trunk.

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Saw a Youtube video of a home made version of the same thing. Guy made it himself and uses it in his commuter Japanese roller skate.

Build your own for $50 bucks.

Same with lithium iron battery added

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  14. pdq67

pdq67

Rusty,

"Saw a Youtube video of a home made version of the same thing. Guy made it himself and uses it in his commuter Japanese roller skate."..

How does this work?

pdq67

15. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Could be a very handy thing for a Tbucket or similar, where you can't find a place for a battery.

Check out the videos, I don't have any other information. I thought it was an interesting idea.

He gives complete details on Laserhacker.com

16. Knew guy who bought one of those.... It shorted out internally and caught on fire! It was a motorcycle, but there was still a fair amount of damage.

One of the issues with these IIRC is they're sensitive to discharging/charging rates. If everything is 'normal', no problem. But go outside those parameters and bad things can happen.

17. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I can't believe there haven't been any flux capacitor jokes yet. Gary

volvobrynk and Ned Ludd like this.
  18. I wonder if it will have the reserve to crank a V8 carbed engine that has been sitting for a couple of weeks in the garage. Sometimes those require a bit of time to get the gas pumped up and cranked.

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. 01Dudley

01Dudley

Reserve is not existent. We played around with this concept and really it's a waste of time. If you only used capacitors then yes, very light weight and more power than you could ever need to start a vehicle. Down fall, it won't hold a charge over night so it is basically dead every morning. Can be changed to full in a matter of minutes(really), but it would stink to do that every morning. Now pair it with a battery like we see here, if the capacitor holds charge over night then all it is doing it helping the battery start the car when in reality that battery will start the car anyway. We have plenty of HotRodders that run our S12V680 style battery with no starting issues. It has roughly 240CCA, but will easily start a Flatty, SBC, or heck we have even started Cummins diesels with the thing. Only trick is if the vehicle is going to sit put a maintainer on it...please