Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Are there different types of Gennie Shifter assemblies?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65fordguy, Apr 25, 2016.

1. 65fordguy

65fordguy

I have recently swapped over the transmission in my truck to an AOD from a c6.. doing this the old gennie shifter I had with the new brackets sits a little higher and I have been eyeballing some of Gennies newer shift handles. As luck would have it I forgot to put the shifter through the carpet I had rolled under the seat .. got to looking at I appear to only have one roll pin... the newer ones I see on Gennie "Lo-Stick" have 2 holes .. and Im not certain mine has that lower stick. I don't see any mention of this on Gennie .. and Since you guys were the wealth of knowledge that turned me on to the Gennie back in 2008, thought I would ask... are there 2 different types.. and I've never had this thing apart.. what is invloved in pulling the handle out..even If I don't buy a new shifter.. I still need to roll my carpet back out. ( still hitting myself over that one!) I really don't want to undo all that bracketry.. it was a pain to get in. I see the pin needs to come out..and I assume the middle bolt that it pivots on? anything else? or is there an easier way to do this.

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

try rolling the carpet up to the shifter, mark the location, roll back a little and make a couple of slits for shift to go through, take carpet out and lift over shift, then cut out a larger hole as needed to have carpet fit flush to floor, adjust and secure carpet, put shift boot on and done

3. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Thanks.. I have a hole already in the carpet.. I had this shifter installed on a c6 trans.. its is now on an AOD. it is different but not too far off the old mark. My problem is I rolled the carpet up to get it out of the way while I was trimming the metal around the shifter hole.. I put the shifter back in to test fit and I completely forgot and bolted everything up before I realized I had not put the carpet back! The shifter handle is supposed to be easy to remove.. as I have just found out from Gennie.. the older shifters did not have a 2 piece shaft.. "lo stik" installed.. mine has a single roll pin and a allen screw and spring setup that holds it in place.. Im going to investigate this when I get home.. I may just be pulling off the shifter again.. it was a pain to do. but . live and learn. The guy from Gennie says its fairly easy. just be careful with the spring.

4. 65fordguy

65fordguy

picture of what I have going on.

upload_2016-4-25_13-44-49.png

5. 65fordguy

65fordguy