Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods what battery do i need

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by perrytudor32, Feb 24, 2016.

1. perrytudor32

perrytudor32
    from uk

hi,what sort of battery spec do I need for flat head powered 34 ford truck with no electric gadgets,might get radio.are optima batts any good,thanks

2. LongT

LongT

I have had an Odyssey 925 in my T bucket for 10 years. SBC with just lights, engine stuff and radio. No problems. It is small and cranks easily. Not sure what a flathead would need sorry.

Bill

3. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Just using a regular group 24 in my pickup. Five years so far with no problem.

4. Six or 12 volts? Does it need to go into the original battery carrier? I would just go to the battery store (or maybe Costco) and find the battery intended for a similar size V8.

Charlie Stephens

5. perrytudor32

perrytudor32
    from uk

sorry should have said 12 volt.going under seat,so inside.

6. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Hit or miss on Optima , I have had them last For 2yrs & 13yrs!!

7. Probably not applicable to what you are doing but on my '32 I related the battery to the right side of the K member (I know you have an X member) with sort of a mirror image bracket. I had to do this to clear the hydraulic brakes. If you are going under the seat (cushion I assume) I would think that an optima would be about the only choice that would fit.

Charlie Stephens Card1 038 (1).jpg

8. 01Dudley

01Dudley

The 925 groups size battery is perfect for HotRods. They are small, most are AGM so they can be mounted in any configuration with leaks. The only thing is the reserve capacity. It's not a big deal just keep in mind if the car is going to sit for months at a time throw a battery maintainer on it.

9. 3-5-004.JPG
    Yup, my $75 Exide special. I get the biggest one the tray will hold.

10. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

I had a high compression 454 in my 48 Lincoln, only battery that would turn it over when it was hot was a red top Optima. Odyssey would not turn it over when hot. Only problem with red top is the car sat a lot and battery discharged often and finally would not take a charge. Battery tender is good idea if you use one. I use yellow tops in my cars now and drive them more often.

11. perrytudor32

perrytudor32
    from uk

thanks guys.opted for the optima.fits a treat,spins it loverly.also got a batt minder.so job done.thanks again.