Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods This is my last attempt at finding this.......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brady1929, Apr 24, 2016.

1. brady1929

brady1929

This is my last attempt at finding this color. I am looking for the EARLY ford or mercury color that is closest or is the color in the pics below. Now I know about the gm color Madiera maroon. And I know about the mercedes color bordeau rot. But what I want is an EARLY ford or mercury color. Please help me.
    maroon4.jpg
    Obviously the fenders on this one.
    maroon6.jpg maroon7.jpg
    And I found Monaida maroon under a 40 Merc color.
    40merc.jpg
    But I am hoping that someone can tell me with CERTAINTY what color this is. Thanks for your consideration. And yes, I have seen both maroon car threads. AND I know it is not Mandarin maroon.

2. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

I,m looking for the same color and I think it may be PPG Coach Maroon Bright A Ford 35-39 color PPG IM1762 or 50007 or DuPont 225-31847M Ford also did a Heritage Burgundy PPG50593 that is nice

3. When I was a kid my uncle drove a 46 ford that was a dark maroon...if it helps.

Moondog13 and tfeverfred like this.
  4. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bet the color you are lookin for is called "coach maroon". I was visiting a friend who is an old Hot Rodder in Carver,MA last October .He has mix 013.jpg built and restored 30s and 40s Fords all his life. He owns a 34 Ford sedan that is coach maroon. He often pronounced that it was his favourite Ford Color.We had lots of fun and I learned alot about Fords, although he hates Chevy guys like me, hahahahaha, seriously.
    boston usa 15 248.jpg

302GMC likes this.

5. Bader2

Bader2

[​IMG]none of these look like the color he's looking for?^^^^^^

6. brady1929

brady1929

^^^^^^that is the color I want^^^^^^ I ASSumed that it is a ford color. About ready to give up. I have tried for awhile to find it.

7. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hopefully someone reading this thread will know the owner of one of the three cars you pictured and hook you up with their contact info. That would be 100% correct answer for you. Looking at photos on monitors will be an educated guess unless you find the owner or painter of the cars.

Short of that, possibly there's a paint supplier (local or mail order) that would mix you a small quantity so you can test shoot a sample panel?
    It's a great looking Maroon. Hope you find the code

8. Nobey

Nobey

The 1940 Ford Deluxe color was called Mandarin Maroon. Hope that helps....

9. Just a warning. You may make yourself nuts trying to get a paint color match to a picture on the internet. There's too many variances in cameras, camera settings, photo editing software and monitor calibrations to try to do a color match this way. The color I see on my monitor is going to be different than the color you see on yours; possibly quite a bit different. Different web browsers can display colors differently, as can different web sites. Even the room lighting has an effect on how colors look onscreen. It may look right on the monitor at your desk but it can be a whole different story in the light of day.

If you need a really accurate color match you'd best find something painted that color and then find that specific paint code from the owner.

metlmunchr, Hnstray, belair and 3 others like this.
  10. 1940 ford colors:
    1940-Ford-pg01.jpg

whtbaron likes this.
  11. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I have a limited experience with paints but from that limited experience I would say that ultimately you will probably have to have your two or three closest choices from the color samples you have and have sample cards painted. I would say at least 4 x 12" in size and take them out in the sun and compare them. Check them again at night if needed. Hopefully you will be happy with one. Good Luck!

12. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I might add that what looks one way on a 1/2"x1" chip can look completely different on a fender!

metlmunchr, Hnstray and ClayMart like this.
  13. Even the conditions outside when the picture was taken can cause the colour to look drastically different.
    Here are two pictures of the same car one looks like the colour the OP is looking for and the other doesn't.
    DSCN1187.JPG
    FB_IMG_1440819629430 [187631].jpg

14. belair

belair

wow^^^. Light blues and turquoises do that too.

15. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Referring to post #1-
    According to The Early V8 Clubs "The 1940 FORD Book" Page 2-1 Ford offered two-tone combo's one being Folkstone Grey/Mandarin Maroon with a list of 14 accessories that had to be ordered by the dealer for each car.
    It appears the 4 door in post 1 was restored to that spec.
    Ask Fred Hirsch or the PPG tech line if they have the formula. If not commercial colors can be a very good place to start.
    Short of finding an original paint car, looking behind a part that has never seen light that you can match to, you will have to come up with YOUR version of the color.

16. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

1941 mayfair maroon
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1461548307.341794.jpg

lbcd and Hnstray like this.
  17. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

I painted a 39 this color a few years ago... I may still have the paint can let me look...

Here's the car... IMAGE_1_13032009105842.jpg

18. brady1929

brady1929

Summershow, was it a ford or merc color? Guffy, which color maroon?

19. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

It was a Ford... That was a custom match from factory color...
    I have the mix on the can, just gotta find the can

20. brady1929

brady1929

That would be awesome. Thanks.

21. Bader2

Bader2

Yes Brady,I understand what color you want,the color in post 5. Post 4 not so much.

22. brady1929

brady1929