Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Willys PU build....from sedan panels.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Kiwi Kev, Apr 22, 2012.

1. loudbang

loudbang

Are you using cap screws for studs or they in there just for the photo?

[​IMG]

2. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Yes normally use them or high tensile bolts.

langy and loudbang like this.
  3. catdad49

catdad49

Beautiful! Understand about the billet aspect, but I'd definitely be proud enough to run them "as-is." Have a Merry Christmas, Carp

9sectruck and loudbang like this.
  4. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Decided it was time to replace the wooden pickup bed floor with some steel and fill the gap in over the axle. It's all just screwed in place and the center section fits in last to make it easy to remove for access to the axle for ladder bar adjustments etc. saves crawling underneath.
    Finished it off with a graphite powdercoat as a bit of a contrast to the primer.
    SDC13372.JPG SDC13374.JPG

5. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Looks great...

9sectruck likes this.
  6. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Looks good ray

9sectruck likes this.
  7. Ray the new bed floor looks good, even swoopy !

9sectruck likes this.
  8. 9sectruck

9sectruck

It's been a long winter and for the first time in ages the truck is back on four wheels again today with a slightly higher stance at the front courtesy of the new straight axle.
    Got a new pair of crossplies for the front wheels to replace the radials for a more old timey look.
    I scored a big mouth BDS blower scoop and had it bead blasted to match the blower case which I think looks better than the more flatter Mr. Gasket one that I had on last year.
    Also had my Weiand valve covers aqua blasted which gives a nice satin finish.
    Treated the motor to an oil and filter change, new magneto cap, leads and plugs and upped the boost a bit with a smaller top blower pulley.
    Got some new slicks on their way across the Atlantic to replace the pie crusts so hopefully will hook a bit better this year, a dip into the high tens would be nice :D
    But I'm keeping the piecrusts and am putting them on some old slotmags should I want to do some nice smokey rolling burnouts!
    Going testing in a couple of weeks but on the old tires for the time being.
    SDC13386.JPG SDC13383.JPG SDC13385.JPG

9. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Looks good....

9sectruck likes this.
  10. Gojeep

Gojeep
    from Australia

Hope your testing goes well. :)

9sectruck likes this.
  11. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

It's so appreciated that you have continued this thread. The truck keeps getting better and better, hope you have a safe and successful season

loudbang, 9sectruck and dmorago like this.
  12. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Thanks guys, will report back in a couple of weeks.

loudbang likes this.
  13. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Well after a couple of cancelled meetings due to personal commitments ( Daughters Wedding then workshop getting flooded) I finally made it to the track last weekend for Dragstalgia at Santa Pod Raceway, this is one of our biggest nostalgia races of the year and had the Bradfords Fuel Altered Fiat & Rat Trap flown over especially for the event which marked the 50th anniversary of the opening of the track.
    With over 300 cars entered it was always going to be a busy weekend and I entered the truck in Gasser Circus and Willys Wars to get the maximum amount of track time.
    This was the first time out with the new straight axle in place, I'd also fitted a new aluminum radiator with twin electric fans as the old one was struggling to keep the half filled block cool.
    With the pie crusts in the trailer and some new M/T slicks on I thought it was about time to fit my South East Gassers approved period correct wheelie bars on too.
    After a 12.04 checkout pass to make sure everything worked OK we were into qualifying, three qualifiers later and I'm sitting at #3 with a new PB of 11.27 @118 mph.
    Sunday was finals day, got all the way to the final only to put a cherry on the tree but I can't be disappointed as the truck ran straight and consistent all weekend and didn't miss a beat and the new rad kept the blown motor at around 180' without using the fans.
    Next meeting is next weekend for the Mopar Nationals, lets hope I can go one better!
    13690591_10154356290349520_5780296329597884532_n.jpg

14. Gojeep

Gojeep
    from Australia

Excellent result. :)

9sectruck likes this.
  15. Watched you all weekend at dragstalgia and came by to drool over the truck a few times in the pits....what a motor! looks and sounds dead Boss in real life...real clean too. Of all the willys yours is head and shoulders above the rest and my absolute favourite.
    You put on a real good show. Good luck in the next round this weekend.

Jay

9sectruck likes this.
  16. catdad49

catdad49

Great to see all the hard work is paying off, that is one sweet machine!! Good Luck at the Nats.

9sectruck likes this.
  17. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

9sectruck likes this.
  18. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Thanks for the compliments, it means a lot. Consistency is the name of the game in Gasser Circus, I'm finally getting there.
    Next time you're around stop by and say hi!

mad mechanic likes this.
  19. 9sectruck

9sectruck

The next round of Gasser Circus saw us back at Santa Pod Raceway again for the Mopar Euronats.
    The box trailer had to go to fund the purchase of a small motorhome but as it hasn't got a tow bar it was back to the old days of sleeping in the back of my truck and towing on a flat bed.
    DSC_0224.jpg DSC_0220.jpg Arrived at the track early Saturday morning and unloaded just in time for the first qualifying run, no time to make any adjustments but I had changed the squirters on the primaries during the week as I had a bit of a flat spot off the line at the last meeting.
    Dialed 11.32 and ran 11.39 which put me at number 3 qualifier so was pretty pleased.
    Second run I dailed a bit softer at 11.34 to try and improve my position and ran 11.3394 (broke out by .0006!)
    No improvement on the third run so by the end of the day I'd dropped to number 7 on the list
    Sunday morning dawned and after a valve lash a small timing adjustment and an increase in shift point it was time for the first round.
    I dialed a hopeful 11.15 and was up against a slower car so they would leave first and I'd have to chase them down, cut a reasonable light and drove past them on the finish line but didn't get the win light, must've dipped under I thought, oh well at least a new pb.
    Bit of a shock when I saw my timing ticket, 10.907!! First ever ten second run in the truck and smashed my pb by a mile!!
    Decided to go back out and see if I could back it up and made a great pass 1.52 60ft 10.918 @ 119.93 mph.
    Still smiling at the thought of it, time to raise the wheelie bars and get some air under those front tires!
    Will have to wait a month or so for the Hot Rod Drags for the next round though.

20. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Great news.......

9sectruck likes this.
  21. Bloody hell! Well done, excellent
    I look forward to seeing you at the HRD and can't wait to see you get some air!

Jay

9sectruck likes this.
  22. Gojeep

Gojeep
    from Australia

Wow, that was awesome mate. Well done. :)

9sectruck likes this.
  23. Like I said before, the right guy ended up with the truck. Your great choices are paying off. I love following the progress.

24. bryanyeskie

bryanyeskie
    from Hixton

Not every machine shop has a slingshot sitting in the middle of the floor.
    Awesome Willys

9sectruck likes this.
  25. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Damn 10.90 that's awesome someday mine might run that fast lol congrats on the 10 second pass that is definitely an accomplishment

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9sectruck likes this.
  26. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Thanks Randy, took me a bit by surprise I can tell ya! Still only got a soft tune in the motor too, think a little more timing is due now.:D

27. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Thanks Kev, I'm having a ball with the truck now, although I've swapped out a lot of the original running gear I'd like to think I've kept the soul of it alive.
    It was the look that grabbed me in the first place and made me want it so bad.
    Gotta thank Ryan for having this site otherwise I never would have known of it's existence in the first place.

hotrodtodd1960 likes this.
  28. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Right on man I've got a few tricks up my sleeve for hamb drags in a couple weeks we will see if it hurts or helps I can't imagine traction being a problem lol

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9sectruck likes this.
  29. dmorago

dmorago

Very very cool, from an old SoCal gasser nut. Dick M

9sectruck likes this.
  30. 9sectruck

9sectruck

This past weekend the Gasser Circus group were invited to Sywell Aerodrome to perform drag racing displays on the runway for the Atomic Vintage Festival.
    This involved 1/8 mile flag start drag racing for fun and to entertain the crowds, I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to fit the old slot mags and piecrusts back on the truck and put on a good show with some rolling burnouts.
    We had a great time and managed to get about half way down the track while fogging out the spectators a few times :rolleyes:
    The Hot Rod Drags are up next in a couple of weekends, hoping for another new pb and maybe a wheelie or two!

P1020577.JPG P1020611.JPG

catdad49, enloe, kiwijeff and 4 others like this.