Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1958 bel air resto

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by messy_jiller_, Apr 18, 2016.

1. messy_jiller_

messy_jiller_

hey guys im new to this forum. im currently in a bind. i have a 58 belair 2dr HT that has roof damage beyond repair. im currently in search of a donor car, roof, etc...anyone know if there are there any other models in 1958 that have the same top/a top that would work? i.e. the same length or the same dimensions that could be made to work...

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

what part of the world are you in? would help finding someone in your area that might have something that will work

3. messy_jiller_

messy_jiller_

in central alabama!

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

This is supposed
    to be a hotrod site, not a Restoration website

5. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So what. Hey messy, post up some pics and let us see.

6. squirrel

squirrel

58 pontiac is it for interchange...and probably harder to find than a 58 Chevy.

But the roof panel itself is the same on the sedans and hardtops, according to Hollanders. The Impala and Bonneville 2dr hardtop are different.

7. If all else fails ('58 was a unique year for Chevys), you could turn it into a rag top. That would be cool.

messy_jiller_ likes this.
  8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

58 Bel Air hard tops were my favorite 58 car. Find a way to fix it. Restoration means different things to different folks. Replacing a top on a as built will rarely make it the "perfect" guy world. It's going to be tough but finding a donor roof will be easier than other parts. Do some searching in Az., Ut., Id., Nv., good luck....

messy_jiller_ likes this.
  9. messy_jiller_

messy_jiller_

I guess I used the wrong word when I said restoration. Would it make you feel better if I told you it was getting an LS3 and two snails, air ride, T6 conversion, and a paint job you can't even find on google?

10. LOL actually that would make it worse.

If its any consolation my lady has been telling people that I restore old cars and bikes for decades, somehow that makes me more respectable that hot rodder or scooter trash. ;)

I would have to see the damage to help with an idea for parts, but the C pillar and A pillars should be different than on other '58 Chebbys. if they are salvageable than the roof top from a two door sedan or even a 4 door sedan should actually be made to work. The Impala hard top should be a match or close enough for govt work. I would imagine that an Impala hard top would be as hard to find if not harder than the Bellaire.

michael knight likes this.
  11. squirrel

squirrel

I looked through the Chevy parts book last night, it shows the roof panel itself being the same for all the 58 sedan and hardtop body styles (2 and 4 door), except the Impala. And the side rails are different for every style. So without knowing the extent of the damage, if you have to replace the side rails or not, hard to say what you should do.

12. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Depends what you consider "beyond repair" . A bit of thought and hammer work can do wonders to a dented in roof. If it's rusty, maybe not so much. Can you post up a photo?

13. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

another vote for photos. if your pillars aren't bent i don't see a reason to cut the entire top off. just bend and weld in some patch metal. if it's rust thats another story

14. messy_jiller_

messy_jiller_

Here's the damage. It's rusted through in a couple spots where water collected and stayed. So I figured itd be easier to replace it. That is until I went looking for a donor 2dr hardtop and figured out what I had...can't find one anywhere

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  15. squirrel

squirrel

that'll be fun... somewhere on here there's a thread about fixing the roof on a 56 chevy, if you can find it maybe you could get some ideas.

btw you can hold your phone sideways, and take a wide picture :)

16. FANTM58

FANTM58

Oh no problem !
    It'll buff out .

17. Here is a little known fact, not that it pertains to the repair in question but just because I am here. In Missouri there is an old law on the books making it illegal to repair a folded roof, you can replace it but you can't hammer it out and reuse it.

18. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Oh my! I've broken the law in Missouri a lot:)! I never knew that. Wonder how that gets enforced?

19. Messy_Jiller,

That will be a cool car when you get it done. By way of example... here in Washington I know 4-5 guys that sell old tri-five Chevy parts that show up at most swap meets. I've also noticed a few guys who specialize in '59&'60 chevy parts; and a few guys who specialize in '63&'64 Chev parts. Seems to me, you could start by seeing who closest to you may be a '58 Chevy parts guy. If he doesn't have what you need he could likely tell you some of his competitors. Sorry, I can't think of a '58 parts guy up this way. Even if you find your version of the tri-five chevy swap meet parts guy, or one of the others, you might ask him if he knows if anyone specializes in '58 chev/Pontiac parts.

Best wishes,

As a sidenote, has the HAMB ever had a thread to compile the old car wrecking yards with contact info?

20. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Personally, I'd spend some time with a porto-power. You would be surprised how repairable that roof is. Just don't get it done in Missouri.

[​IMG]

michael knight likes this.
  21. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

what he said
    porta power and patience

22. It doesn't.
    I think that if you crash and the roof folds up and it was done by a shop they can be held liable.

23. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

24. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

I know where a 4dr here in Little Rock, Ar

25. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

That doesn't look all that hard to fix. Pull out the dent and replace the rusted through metal. No need for an entire roof

What'cha got in there, kid?

26. What kind of build are you planing? I have a 57 Olds 98 roof with all trim, in & out, (With twin raised ribs running the length of the roof & both rear 1/4 window's and rear glass. It would be expensive to ship by truck, so if you were inclined to buy it, you would need to come to Denver, to pick it up. I imagen that it would be a close fit.. it was cut at the posts, & at the base. So the roof is totally compleate in every way. I was asking $700.00 but I would consider offers.
    Chris at 720-292-6288

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. messy_jiller_

messy_jiller_

As far as money goes?

28. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

I have a impala roof . 2 doors . In Michigan

29. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I mean basically it needs sheet metal. you can just bend it yourself to bring down cost.

30. ragtp66

ragtp66
    from Chicago

Do you happen to have any 58 Factory AC parts or know anyone who does?

chris