Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Another T-5 to flathead thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by diiulio, Apr 6, 2016.

1. diiulio

diiulio

I know this has been beaten to death, but I have been reading T-5 threads and articles and have become more confused.

I have a 8ba flathead, 49-51 car bell housing, Modern Driveline adapter for Ford mustnag T-5 to 49-51 car bell housing, stock 9" three finger flathead pressure plate, 49-51 flywheel for a 9" disc, and a 93 S-10 T5.

I was going to put the S-10 tail shaft on the Mustang T5 and bolt it all together to the 8ba.

I just realized there are two different input shaft lengths on standard 5.0L V8 T-5's (excluding Cobra) - there is a 7.18" length on 85-93 V8's and then 7.85" length on 93 and up V8's and V6's. I have a 7.85" length 10-spline 1-1/16" input shaft on the Ford T-5 that I have.

I have a few questions:
    1. Has anybody successfully used a 7.85" long input shaft on the Flathead? I am not so concerned with cutting the tip off, but concerned with having too much spline/bearing retainer. I guess I could always make a plate between the adapter for the additional ~.7" if I need to.
    2. My input tip is 0.668". What pilot bearing do I need for this into the flathead?
    3. I'd like to use the 49-51 throwout bearing and 49-51 lever arm for the T/O bearing. I measured the bearing retainer to be 1.43" on the mustang. I am not sure if I need a sleeve, do I need one? Does anybody know which sleeve I need for the mustang bearing retainer to work with the stock flathead throwout bearing? I haven't bought a throw out bearing yet.

2. Check in with Krylon32 - he may have the answer as he sells the adapters for the Ford pattern. If not, check with flaternie although you said you have read many articles, I think that may have been Ernie's stuff ....

3. diiulio

diiulio

Alright, talk to modern driveline and I need the 85-93 mustang input shaft and bearing retainer to work with their adapter. They also said a stock pilot bushing will work. They said they have a throw out bearing that will work with my set up.

If anybody is interested I can take photos and post it. It will be a few weeks because I work slow.

4. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Seems like you got your answer. I've read that the S10 input shaft and retainer can be cut down to use, but never heard of the late '93+ Ford input shaft being cut down, although obviously a good machinist could probably make it whatever size you want. I don't think anybody has commercially made an adapter for the 7.85" input shaft.

As for swapping the tail housing, are the Ford and Chevy output shafts (28 vs. 27 splines) the same diameter and length? I thought they weren't. Somewhere I read that you need to swap tailshaft bushings to match. Then there's the speedometer port issue to contend with as well.

On mine I used the Chevy main shaft with a 27 spline/1310 U-joint yoke to adapt to my Ford driveshaft.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016

5. diiulio

diiulio

Back to no available throw out bearing. I am going to use a stock flathead 3speed throw out bearing so it matches the stock flathead pressure plate? but I need to sleeve the T5 input bearing retainer. What material do I have the machine shop use? Does anybody know what the OD of the sleeve should be or could measure their tyranny for me? What should I make the ID of the sleeve compared to the T5?

Anybody make one before? I have asked a few alliance members, but I haven't found the right one who can make it.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  7. We have a S-10 pick up truck at the shop with a 5 or 6 speed are these transmission used much behind a flathead ford ....

8. mike bowling

mike bowling

Speedway will give you the right #'s and years to look for on a GM S-10 5 spd. to put behind a flattie. I did one last year with their adapter and it went together pretty easy. Had to re drill the flywheel, and I used a hydraulic clutch ( which I know a lot of people frown on) but it was a nice set up except for access to the internal bleeder- had to customize a wrench to turn it.
    With a dual pedal assembly from TCI, it went together as slick as the hair on a frog's ass. Shifter location was perfect too.

Attached Files:

9. Depends. If the 5-speed is a T-5, that's the go-to trans swap for flatheads. Readily available kits, well-matched ratios, etc. That being said, not all S-10 five-speed manuals were T-5, I think some came with an NV3500 or similar.

10. Thanks for information. The trucks going to the scap yard I think it's worth the effort and pull transmission ...

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well if your bud can make the sleeve it isn't a big deal as long as you have the measurments you need and if the Mustang T5 is a WC that is a plus. I'm sticking an S-10 T5 behind my 8BA simply because that is the T5 I found for a right price.

It might be interesting to know what the differences in the bearing retainer for the S-10 trans and the Mustang trans are though. Or if you can swap them back and forth.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good point as there were several non T 5 transmissions in S-10 trucks over the ears including
    Not all S-10 T 5 trans are the same either as there are several gear ratio combos.

13. diiulio

diiulio

Mr48Chev, thanks. can measure both input retainers to see if the S10 and Mustang are the same. I have the proper input coming because I have a later mustang which has too long of an input shaft and retainer. If so I will order from Speedway, if not I can have a local shop turn one.

Mike, thanks for the pic and hydro TO input. That would simplify having to make up linkage, but I like the mechanical aspect. What did you use for a cross member
    ?

14. mike bowling

mike bowling

Took out the stock X member and put a piece of 2x3- 3/16" wall tube stock in on the flat to gain more room underneath. Then I took some 1x1" square stock and basically made a box with two ears at the top, and a tranny mount on the bottom. 2 - 3/8" dia. holes in the ears, and drilled and tapped the x-member, so the whole thing comes off with the 2 bolts removed ( and the tranny's are pretty light; I could put it on and off myself, no problem.)

No really good pictures, but hope this helps. Mike

Attached Files:

15. diiulio

diiulio

Great, thanks. I like the way you did it by putting the cross member above. Do you have a poly/rubber mount or is it directly bolted to bracket and cross member?

16. mike bowling

mike bowling

Stock GM tranny mount- NAPA
    Not good to "hard" mount driveline components- vibration and twisting cause major problems.