Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Another Ford Guys Question!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Greaser Bob, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Anyone know much about 400 motors?
    This is my first one, and it runs hot. I think by reading some threads that it takes a very special THERMOSTAT.
    Motor runs wonderful and ton of power but I hate getting stuck over heating on the road.
    Thanks,
    Greaser Bob

2. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

The 351C, 351M, & 400 all use a special thermostat that has an extension on the bottom that seals off the bypass when the stat opens. They will over heat with a standard stat.

Greaser Bob likes this.
  3. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

I have a 400 in a jailbar with 4 speed and 2.78 gears....our summers are usually around 45 deg Celsius or 113f
    and have no trouble with temp...I use an ordinary t'stat and have an engine fan

4. Oldb

Oldb

5. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

^^According to the description in the EBay add, it is not for the 400?^^
    I wish I had a picture of the exact one I needed so don't get the wrong one.

6. JB_roadrage

JB_roadrage

I've ran 400's for years and never heard of this special thermostat.... just make sure your coolin system is adequate...

7. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Yes it does use a special restrictor either in block or on stat . You will run super hot with no fix and a busted bank account tiring to fix with out it

8. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid! Anyone have any photos of said t-stat?

9. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

All right, this is what I'm finding so far. Because the 400 block has the restrictor already cast in it, it only needs this thermostat. Screenshot_2016-04-18-15-49-14.png

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  10. George

George

Use search, there's a Thread on the 400 somewhere here for info on your engine. The C & M use the closed type of thermostat pictured above instead of the open bottom type.

Greaser Bob likes this.
  11. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

The 400 does not have the brass restrictor plate. The block has a smaller bypass hole which does not require the separate plate. But they still use the special thermostat. You may get by with a standard stat if you have a good enough cooling system but your engine will run cooler in hot weather with the correct thermostat.

Greaser Bob likes this.
  12. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Now I just need to find where to get one, as I really don't think they should be an arm and a leg!

13. George

George

Should be available @ your local parts house.

14. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

I've been unsuccessful so far:(

15. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I drove a truck with a 351-M for years and I think I put a regular T stat in it and never had any issues except when I used a gutted T stat in it which ran slightly warmer.

16. matt Delio

matt Delio

I believe that the 351-400 m are reverse flow cooling systems. check it out. later, matt.

17. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Honestly my motor is a bit racey(sp) and I'm using a re-cored clean oem radiator. So the t-stat is just something I have to get right.
    It never pukes coolant, but I'll be taking it up to Santa Maria next month and I don't want overheating problems.

18. BLACKNRED

BLACKNRED

What's your definition of hot.

15lb cap will give you a boiling point of 257 F, if it is not puking water, are you sure it is boiling.

19. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Not puking but pegging my oem type temp gage in my '54 Ford truck. Might hook up a gage w/degree marks to see exactly what it's running.

20. George

George

You ask for one for a 71-3 Mustang with a 351C?

21. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

No, I've been asking for the 333-180 and or hoping to cross reference it. Near as I can tell, the bottom copper part is supposed to expand when it opens and drop into a hole cast in the block to promote circulation back to the radiator to help cool it.
    I don't know what's in it right now-will be taking it out VERY soon to heat it up in a pot and see if the bottom brass part expands outward.

22. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Alright, thermostat is out. This is what I'm seeing just inside the block. Looks to me like the center hole is what needs to be blocked off when thermostat opens. Going to boil my thermostat I have right now and see if it opens. Butt the thermostat I have looks like it will never block off the center hole. So off to the parts stores I go! 20160520_150748.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  23. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Yep, t-stat opens. But the part that comes down is smaller than the hole it's supposed to be blocking off. 20160520_152504.jpg

24. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

STILL trying to figure this bastard out!

25. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

The extension does not completely block the hole and it does not need to do so. It only reduces the volume flowing through the bypass when the stat opens.

The 351M/400 is notorious for cracking exhaust seats. Have you had the system checked for exhaust gas in the radiator?

Greaser Bob likes this.
  26. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

What shape is the radiator in.

27. southcross2631

southcross2631

Just finished a Torino for a guy with a 400 m . Used a standard thermostat and it doesn't overheat in the Florida summer so it won't overheat anywhere.

28. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Thanks guys. Radiator is in real good shape although original makeup. And now I'm using an electric puller fan behind it to help in idle traffic. Pulled the t-stat out and have been running it that way, but think I'll put it back in to make sure to cool the rear of the heads. I just keep thinking of the head gaskets put on backwards theory. And I don't want to yank the heads.

29. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

And no I haven't tested for exhaust gases in the coolant. Wonder where I can get a tester kit now.

30. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Maybe that original radiator is just too small is my thought..

Greaser Bob likes this.