Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. loudbang

loudbang

No problem here Roy. I meant what I said if one of the people here that knows the real story jump right in and let us know because I'm sure not an expert like some of you guys. I just find them and post them :rolleyes:

1947knuck likes this.
  2. Just for general Info. From the Loudbang post. I follow his comments here and on the Corvette Hotrods threads.
    Bought my 1965 Caliente HT new in Rochester Michigan in 1965 and it's been off the road since 1972. Always in my possession. So if anyone needs to find out original details I can help. Unfortunately it's only a 289 2bbl auto with a 5 bolt bell. 2.80 gearing although I had a 9" 4.11 in it for a while/. It has OK Kustom headers built on the spot in Sterling Michigan just outside of Standish in 1969.
    It's now in Brookings Oregon snuggled away.
    I do get back to Michigan at least once a year so would like to meet other Comet folk.
    Movin/on

loudbang likes this.
  3. loudbang

loudbang

After GM pulled the plug on motorsports sponsorships, the only lingering evidence of Don Nicholson’s dominating Chevrolet relationship was the ramp truck hauling his Ugly Duckling wagon to the Winternationals. Pomona’s top 1961-’62 Stock Eliminator racer set low e.t. for A/FXers at 11.48 and lowered the national record to 11.60 before suffering a holeshot upset against Ronnie Sox’s Caliente in the all-Mercury Factory Stock Eliminator final, 11.49-11.47.

don-nicholson-ugly-duckling.jpg

Surprised by early-season Dodge Chargers speeds nearing 135 mph, Ford Experimental boss Fran Hernandez instructed dragster star Jack Chrisman to burst the 150-mph stock-body barrier with a Dearborn product. Jack’s successful solution merged a blown, fuel-burning 427 and direct drive with an A/FX Comet Caliente. In September, the heaviest and slowest “B/Fuel Dragster” at the NHRA Nationals lost early in class but stole the whole show with low 10s at 156 mph, trailing smoke to the finish line. The rest is Funny Car history.

jack-chrisman-.jpg

Sach's smokes them up

Sachs smoken em up.jpg

Sach's driver

Sachs driver.jpg

Attached Files:

1947knuck likes this.
  4. loudbang

loudbang

Forgot one LOL.

super-stock-mag-1964-november ronnie sox.jpg

1947knuck likes this.
  5. trimph1

trimph1

You and me both...banghead

6. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

7. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anyone know if the McCoy car survived?

8. How did these guys get the camber right on these things??????

9. loudbang

loudbang

B/FX, Nash’s skills got the attention of the Detroit suits and offered him a Mercury Comet in 1964. The car, which was one of five 289-equipped Comets that Lincoln-Mercury had built that year to show off the engine’s reliability by lapping Daytona Motor Speedway for 100,000 continuous miles at an average speed of 105 mph (and just one of 15 built by the factory that year), was soon converted into a B/FX entry dubbed the Cyclone. It, too, ran amok in its class, capturing several big wins for the marquee and further establishing Nash’s name.

Doug nash.jpg

1947knuck, 65afxcomet and fiveoh108 like this.
  10. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

11. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

12. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Bummer I was looking forward to meeting you...looked at the bikes didn't see your name this year unless I missed it, well one of these times we'll meet...........Al

loudbang likes this.
  13. loudbang

loudbang

Two for one :p

Early Sox & Martin vs Dyno don in the wagon version

Sox & martin vs Dyno don AFX.jpg

1947knuck, ec164 and fiveoh108 like this.
  14. loudbang

loudbang

From drag cars in motion thread today by thehazeguy

[​IMG]

1947knuck and fiveoh108 like this.
  15. loudbang

loudbang

LOL found this great shot while looking at Chevy truck car haulers photos never know where they are lurking.:eek:

Both of Dyno don's cars one on a CHEVY car hauler LOL.

Dyno Don AFX Cars on CHEVY ramp truck.JPG

1947knuck likes this.
  16. sideoiler10

sideoiler10
    from Missouri

Its been quite awhile since I posted anything on my favorite thread, so thought I'd pass along a few recent shots of my Comet. The first 3 are at the 2014 and 2015 Meltdown Drags at Byron, IL. The last 4 show a slight problem I had a year ago at the strip in Rodgersville, MO (just east of Springfield). During my first burnout, apparently the thermostat gasket blew and the starting line crew didn't notice the water coming out of the front and started the tree. I did notice the car was spinning much more than usual through 1st gear, but I went ahead and hammered 2nd. That's when all heck broke loose. Car started edging toward left wall and I corrected and let off but by then all 4 tires were completely wet and it felt like I was on solid ice. The car slid diagonally across the track to the right wall where it came to rest against the wall. Actually it didn't hurt the front suspension or steering at all, but did put a job on the right fender and some trim. That is the only time in 50 years that I had that type problem on the strip. I have to admit though, the next couple passes I made a few weeks later made me very nervous.

Hope this hasn't bored you guys too much. It was anything but boring to me.

Attached Files:

1947knuck, ClearSpot and ec164 like this.
  17. loudbang

loudbang

Man that is NICE. Too bad about the accident but at least you are back at it again.

1947knuck likes this.
  18. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Wow! I am sure glad you did not get hurt. The car is outstanding! Now, what do you need in the line of parts to repair the damage? I may be able to help with some stuff.
    Let me know.
    [email protected]
    Jim

ec164 and loudbang like this.
  19. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Nothing boring to me, Beautiful car, glad you had the experience to save it, nice job driving. Good Luck in future and maybe post some ETs and stuff!!..........................Al

20. sideoiler10

sideoiler10
    from Missouri

Jim, I have it all back together now, actually had it going within 2 months. Found a nice fender in Republic, MO, bumper brackets and headlight bucket and bezel in Raymondville, MO. Just curious though, what kind of parts do you have available...just in case LOL.

Guys, thanks for the coments about the car. I'm not a serious racer, just for the fun...but I guess once we all line up we are pretty serious. Anyway, I run it just a few times a year, have had it to Gateway several times, HAMB Drags a couple times trying to get the bugs out of it. Best time I have had to date is a 10.91/126. I think the 427/488 with 603 hp has at least a 10.5 in it, just not sure that I do. It runs a Ray Pacquet designed low profile high-rise head (2.25 int.) and intake system made by Jim Dove. When on the dyno it had dual Holley 600s with larger jets, but after a few runs seemed the engine needed more air. Sent Barry Robotnick all engine specs for his recommendation. He put together a set of dual 780 Quick Fuelers that really improved the response and acceleration. Scat forged crank, Callies forged rods, Comp Cams solid roller with .686 lift, 4.30 Detroit Locker, 35 spline Moser axles, 10x28 slicks, with the Crites A/FX style traction bars and frame connectors, etc. Any comments, suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated. I do want to keep it built pretty much like they were in 64.

Malcolm and loudbang like this.
  21. powrshftr

powrshftr

I have been drooling over your car at the Meltdown drags for a few years now:)

It's a lot of fun to watch!

What rpm are you launching at/shifting at?

Scott

22. sideoiler10

sideoiler10
    from Missouri

Scott, I launch at 4000 and generally shift at 6300. What kind of car do you have at the Meltdown? I have only been there the past 2 years, but I am so impressed with the way the crew runs the track and they how they go out of there way to help the racers any way they can. They have always been so accommodating to my son (with a car and enclosed trailer) and me with the same, so we can pit together with a larger race team we have become good friends with. Always try to pit along the side of the strip on the asphalt so we can watch the runs from the pits. Plus the cars are fantastic. Love watching these old guys beat on their gassers...most run quicker than they did in the 60s. If you see me up there this July, come by and introduce yourself. Like to meet you. Thanks for the kind words. Bob

Malcolm, loudbang and powrshftr like this.
  23. powrshftr

powrshftr

Bob,
    I will definitely stop by and say hello at the Meltdown.:)
    I couldn't agree more about the Meltdown Drags guys; they are the best bunch of guys I've ever met,and they will go miles out of their way to make sure that your experience at the Meltdown is a great one.
    In short,I would walk through fire for those guys!:)

I will send you a pm about my car,as it's an o/t model that's taboo on the Hamb,but I think you'll dig it.

I ran your gear,tire size,and mph through a calculator,and you've definitely done your homework on that combo!
    Just a hair more rpm through the lights than your shift point.Looks like it was made to order.
    The only thing I could think of to chop a few tenths would maybe be a cut in weight,a raise in launch rpm,or both,but I don't know how well the tires would react to any more FE torque...I bet they're begging for mercy as it is!

Looking forward to saying hello and seeing your car run again.

Scott

24. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Bob,
    I did not realize that your car was repaired. It is good that the damage looked worse than it really was.
    I have owned my '64 for 48 years so I have accumulated a few spare parts. I do not have fenders but I have grilles, headlight doors etc. I really do not want to part with anything right now but I would have been glad to help you out of a bind. ( cause your car so 'bitchen!)
    Down the road I will be actively selling my spares but not right now.
    My car is apart right now but this fall I will be going through it and plan to have it back on the road in a couple of years.
    I am only about 2 hours from the Byron track so maybe I will make it to the Meltdown event this year.
    Jim

25. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

My Cyclone will soon be wearing some vintage Cragars. Big Thanks to AFX/Dave. They rolled on his B/FX Comet for many years. And, will be welcome on my street Comet for many more! The man is a true gentleman! IMG_1277.JPG IMG_1281.JPG

26. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Nice Myron, Dave was very nice when I was at his home, has quite a collection too!!!!

Analog Dog likes this.
  27. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Al,Do you have plans to have your Comet at Milan for the Detroit Dragway reunion?

ec164 likes this.
  28. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Checkout this really nice Comet_ Owned by a super nice guy! Enjoying the Hell out of racing it!
    Myron_

1947knuck likes this.
  29. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Not at this time, things could change before then though. I will post here when going ..............Al