Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

2. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Well, you've got the slip yoke, and that's one of the hardest things to find! The other, and near impossible one, is the Hydro only starter motor; those bring $$$$$! What is your plan with this trans. For sale? Flywheel come with it? Is the torus assembly stock or modified? I'm still kicking myself for GIVING AWAY all my old Hydro stuff 15 plus years ago; two complete B & M transmissions, several spare flywheels, several stock and modified torus assemblies, tw slip yokes/drivelines, and a rebuilt Hydro starter motor. Stupid, stupid, stupid; my wife's Father had just dies, and we had to sort through all of his belongings. For some reason, I just thought I did't want my wife to have to do that with my stuff if/when I kicked, and the Hydro's were one of my larger "collections". I have regretted it ever since. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

3. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

I was right on these parts when listed. I contacted the guy and he had the trans but had given away/sold the yoke. He also had a set of stahls headers but they were in a SERIOUSLY rusted out state. Were not that far from me as they were in ohio. He also had 4.56 posi rear. and a 5.13 or somewhere in there. Headers were 250 rear was 500 and the trans was 150. Trans needed completely gone over. I passed as I had some cash put back but not that much.Pretty sure I can get a trans locally and I am thinking all the goodies with it wheeling and dealing. He had picked up the parts to build a tribute car. Not a lot of info on the rears (like who assembled and such).

Tom 57 150 and loudbang like this.
  4. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Why would they go to all the trouble Chuck? There was no cheating was there!!!

Great information write up by a number of people. Very intense, spectacular class of cars.

loudbang likes this.
  5. biscaynes

biscaynes

not my parts butch, that hydro was posted on the Jr Stock FB page.
    and thanks for posting that great info too!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  6. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Baron,
    The scenario that you have described was certainly a concern. One saving grace for teardown @ Pomona and Indy races was the fact that both facilities had an enclosed space that could accommodate some, if not all, of the inspection process. That was many times better than some tear downs that I've survived in the open, dusty pits of places such as Sonoma, Phoenix, and Las Vegas. An all-time potential disaster occurred at Las Vegas a few years ago when an Air Flight chopper landed a hundred yards away from the teardown to evacuate an injured driver. There was an immediate but futile scramble to cover everything up before several cubic feet of desert sand could filter out of the air and stick to any oily surface that was exposed.

Anyone who chose could certainly button their motor back up and take it home for a sanitary restoration but consider the following: At 8 AM on the morning following teardown, the first round of the
    Eliminator was on the run schedule. The ONLY cars that were allowed to compete in the Eliminator were class winners and that's where the good money was on the table. If you didn't show, a bye run would have appeared on the ladder. Racers from out-of-town had no choice but to clean their parts as well as possible, bolt them back together, and be ready to race before morning. I could have certainly have flat-towed my car home from Pomona to put it back together but it was usually just as efficient and probably almost as clean just to suck it up and get the job done.

c

7. loudbang

loudbang

OK all you chevy lovers take a deep breath I have found a serious site for FORD racer cars so it's our turn. LOL it turns out there are not too many junior stockers because they are so fast and powerful the Ford cars end up in SS and FX classes. So if you are a Ford lover check over in the SS FX thread for a bunch more.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/stock-s-s-f-x-1959-1966.247089/page-82

Chevy guys please keep the comments from the peanut galley down to a dull roar while I run through the ford photos. :cool:

"Bob Fermier" 62 Ford Pestone D/S

BobFermier 62 Ford Pestone DS.jpg

C/SA 57 T-Bird Blown 312. Wonder how the auto held up?

CSA57T-Bird.jpg

C/SA 57 T-Bird Blown 312 ENGINE

CSA57T-BirdEngine.jpg

"Dobbs Ferry Motors" 1963 Box roof 427

Dobbs Ferry Motors 63 Box roof 427.jpg

"The Phil Bonner" early "Frank Vego" 1962 ford

Phil bonner early Frank Vego 1962 ford.jpg

"Ralph Fisher" B/S 1961FORD 375 HP

Ralph Fisher BSTOCK61FORD.jpg

Again

RalphFisher61Ford BS second.jpg

Vargo Dragway" B/S Ford Convert

VARGO Dragway BS Ford Convert.jpg

"Zipper II" 62 ford stocker

Zipper II 62 ford stocker.jpg

Zipper II again

Zipper II 62 ford stocker second.jpg

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    1947knuck, Elcohaulic, 57 300 and 3 others like this.
  8. loudbang

loudbang

I'm confused where to put these it's B/FX and C/FX but they running for Junior Stock winner? B/FX and C/FX were under Junior stock?

Darrell Droke BFX 65 FAIRLANE

Darrell Droke BFX 65 FAIRLANE.jpg

Jerry Harvey "Bob ford" 65 FORD BFX

JerryHarvey  Bob ford 65 FORD BFX.jpg

"Bill Hoefer" CFX BIG Old 65 FORD Galaxie

Bill Hoefer CFX 65 FORD.jpg

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    1947knuck, 57 300 and AHotRod like this.
  9. Lyn Smith

Lyn Smith

Been thru many teardowns with my 71 Buick 455 that I started racing in NHRA Stock eliminator in 1976.In the 70s,and 80s at Indy US Nationals they sent you across town to a Ford dealer ship.I raced in G/SA mostly ,and it was a big class.Took all day to get it run(10 -15 cars most of the time).One year I remember we got the the barn about 6pm.Got thru the t down ok ,and then got the word from the tech guys that the dealership was closing down and we had to push the car back on the trailer,and put it back together at the track.Sportnationals B Green,KY.Tear down there was a RV Dealer ship down the road.Back in the good old days NHRA tore down most all class winners in Stock and Super Stock.Made for a long day for most tech guys.It was worth the hassle to get your Wally,and even paid decent money to win class.Not any more, as the guys in Glendora have chased away most of the good sponsors.

10. FLATROCKER

FLATROCKER
    from nw ohio

One of my local favorites -The All American - Ken Shawver ,Q/ stock 55 210 , Defiance Ohio. I will have to ask Ken what happened to it. 12973574_480721968787315_301601510653159563_o.jpg

Attached Files:

11. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

12. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

13. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

14. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

15. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

16. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

17. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Lyn Smith always was bad fast in stock no matter what class he ran. I have a Buick stocker racer buddy here in Montana that raced a 72 Buick GS & won the Fall Nationals one year in the 70s. His name is Doug Grieve and he also runs a straight 8 turboed Buick powered lakester/streamliner and is a member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club.

18. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

19. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

20. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

21. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

22. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

George Cureton sent me a few things to help with our Tokyo Rose tribute build and I thought I would share them. The first shot is the final round picture from the 67 Tulsa World Finals. With me being a Minnesota guy, I'm wondering who is in the Virginia Minn. sponsored wagon in the background?? The second picture is the time slip from that run.
    tkp.jpg time slip.jpg

Last edited: May 12, 2016
    Elcohaulic, tommyd, biscaynes and 7 others like this.
  23. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

Here's what a purpose built Jenkins 225/265 looked like in the day.....nothing fancy, strickly business.
    tkpm_1.jpg

Last edited: May 12, 2016
    Elcohaulic, tommyd, biscaynes and 8 others like this.
  24. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

I know someone who would like those top (photo and time card) copy's. He had 2 time cards in the glove box from Cecil co drag-o-way from the original. They were stolen out of his car along with all the info sent by George. They took the whole envelope pics copy's and all. Along with the 2 original time cards. What is the box to the right under the hood there on the firewall??

Tom 57 150 likes this.
  25. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

Love the pic of Phil Bonner's '62 406 Ford. Saw him run it when new before he went to Al Means Ford in Decatur in 1963...Thanks for sharing!!

loudbang likes this.
  26. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

Looks like sending unit for a tach.

27. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

Might be pushing the time line rule here, but I thought this was cool.
    1968 Super Stock Interview.
    page1.jpg page2.jpg page3.jpg page4.jpg page 5.jpg

28. Yes, it's a "Sun" sending unit.

29. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Check out the HUGE, HD battery, getting lost in the battery box! Why the 327 decal on the valve cover? Maybe just to play with the tech guys?
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

30. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

I remember reading in Doug Boyce's book that it was a loaner to one of the "Tension" guy's from Nebraska.
    I was a 10 year old in the stands and I can tell you it started raining shortly after the races were over.

loudbang, Tom 57 150 and Bowtie Coupe like this.