Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1939-40 Ford garnet maroon

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by revkev6, Apr 19, 2016.

1. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

I have been looking at maroons for my cut down 32 5-window for a while. it's going to get a white carson top. I want it to be an old color and not be too brown. I've found the 1939 or 1940 ford garnet maroon looks about perfect to my eye. my only question is... looking at the color charts 39 and 40 have different codes for the same color... anyone know if there is a difference and if it's enough to worry about.

[​IMG]

color I like for reference (supposed to be garnet maroon)
    [​IMG]

LOU WELLS and Jacob Goodin like this.
  2. I imagine that the difference is subtle and that the difference in the color code has to do with changes in the paint to make it more fade resistant. Reds were bad to fade and they were forever looking for a way to make them fade less.

If I was building a custom I would want to get that color in a candy by the way. You can still buy everything you need to mix your own candy colors and it would probably not be hard to find someone who knows how to make it work for you.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  3. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

I like the stock maroon color. candy's will be too new looking IMO. the car will be running 1959 plates. candy was a pretty high end show car finish at that time and this won't be a high end looking car.

4. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

5. I don't recall candy paint being all that uncommon where I was in '59. Maybe it was a regional thing.

6. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

What type of paint will you use?

7. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

not sure on paint, I'm not a body guy. probably leave that up to my uncle

8. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

I wasn't around, but candy wasn't around until the mid 50's no?? and even then it would have been a rather new process and significantly more expensive??

9. Early '50s and yes if you paid Westergaurd :edit Bailon not Westerguard to shoot it then it would have been costly. by '59 you could buy Candy Apple paint premixed, and it was no more expensive than any other lacquer. the process isn't any different than any other lacquer process either, other then you shoot a colored primer coat.

10. brady1929

brady1929

Omg i am looking at the same color for my 32 5w too. The color i am most interested in looks like eggplant.
    I think it is Garnet maroon. Have you looked at Coach Maroon Bright?

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I mixed up some red (acrylic lacquer, 'Aero Gloss') in the '70s for my model race plane: Added some silver, then more red...black...Crap! It was now a weird cordovan brown! Looked like shit. (sorry for the term, but it was meant to be literal)
    By the time I had 'rescued' the color, I was 3 mixing pails full! :eek:
    Racing partners Doug and Leonard ended up with the rest of it on their planes, too. Became our 'B' team race official color.
    Mine looked better...:cool:

12. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

eggplant is more of a dark purpely color no?? not really what I'm looking for. really a redish maroon like the 39 I posted a pic of.

anyone ever seen garnet maroon in person?? is it similar to the pic??

13. In reality egg plant should be a purple almost black purple. But the fellas that name stuff have their own twist and some things get named just like Levon named his kid, "He calls his child Jesus`Cause he likes the name" [Elton John].

The color you picked is really a nice color, maybe it is the lights but it seems to me that it should have a more red hue to it.

14. yes, you have to watch out with maroon, it can be too purple or too brown. I bought some from TCP Global and it looked too purple, sent it back and bought the Ford maroon from '31 and sprayed that It's ok but a little too brown.

15. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

meaning that garnet maroon would be more red than the color on the 39??

16. We are falling into a gray area here or actually brown, unless a maroon is really a deep dark maroon it looks brown to me. But yes if I am seeing the photo the same as everyone else it should be more red. I have seen the color in person on an original and it looks more red that the photo appears to me.

Make sense?

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since I'm another member of the "Hunting for just that perfect Maroon" I took these at the 2014 Inland Emperors flathead run. Pretty good side by side comparison on the two.
    [​IMG].

[​IMG]

olscrounger likes this.
  18. brady1929

brady1929

Ok, not to hijack but I want the bottom color. What is it please?

19. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

This is a terrible way to judge color and I would send the sample to you if you want it . It's 1977 GM Claret. 102_2357.JPG 102_2358.JPG
    The code is on the card.

20. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The single 40 sedan picture appears to be Mandarin Maroon--just worked on a maroon coupe --it was a Mercedes maroon with no metallic late 90's color--darker than the lighter 40 maroon but barely-will look for a picture.

21. Hankster32

Hankster32

Color in pictures can be deceiving. The two 40 s are my cars and I thought they were the same color when I bought them. One was taken in sun light and the other one under fluorescent lights.

22. brady1929

brady1929

Thanks John Worden. So Hankster32, what color is the car with the yellow fog lights?
    Thanks.

23. ky29ham

ky29ham

24. ky29ham

ky29ham

Mandarin Maroon is beautiful and has a lot of metallic in it.. Old school!

25. Hankster32

Hankster32

I don't know the color of my 40. Some have told me it is a 41 Merc color.( At night in certain light the car looks black)

26. 41 Chevy Ruby Maroon is a nice Maroon

27. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Lighting makes a big difference.

IMG_5778.JPG IMG_5644.JPG

biggeorge and 47ragtop like this.
  28. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well maroon is an Anglo version for the French word for chestnut which usually is a rich brown. Therefore maroon equals brown. To my eyes maroon usually looks brownish especially in low light. I prefer burgundy, like the wine, which by definition is more red. Check out Regency Red, a Jaguar colour but looks old school.