Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rebuilt Holley Teapot won't stay running. (with video)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by petebert, Apr 20, 2016.

1. petebert

petebert

I switched out my stock 2bbl teapot for a stock 4bbl teapot(Holley 2140). It's a very straightforward swap since Lincoln did the same thing in 1953.

I rebuilt the carb last fall with a kit from daytonaparts. Installed it and then didn't do anything all winter. Finally hooked everything up yesterday and started it. It fires up without any hesitation but then only runs for a few seconds. Since I don't have all the pedal linkage hooked up I thought I might need to manually hold the throttle open a little. It doesn't seem to help any and will sometimes backfire a little throught the carb if I do this.

Here's a video where you can see that if I manually pump the throttle and put fuel in it, it starts without a problem. After that it won't start again until I pump the throttle again.

2. F&J

F&J

To have it start cold, and continue to run by itself, you need choke as well as a fast idle system that works.

If you don't have enough choke, it will fire back through the carb, when you try to fight it by hand throttle.

Timing, if retarded, can cause fire back. I recall reading about distributor advance requirement/ issues with those carbs, but I'm not up on them

3. petebert

petebert

I got it running, it was a matter of the throttle not being in the correct position. I screwed around with the fast idle cam and its screw and got it to stay running. Right now I have to have the idle screws turned in pretty far to keep it running. The hot idle screw actually can't be turned in any further and it won't stay running yet in the hot idle position. I think the choke needs to be adjusted more.