Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need 6 spline cut in Model A drive shaft in Michigan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cw, Apr 20, 2016.

1. cw

cw
    from Midland

Hello,
    Can anyone recommend someone who can cut a 6 spline on a shortened 1929 Model a drive shaft in Michigan?
    Thanks

2. Inline

Inline
    from Ohio

It might be easier to find someone to cut the tapper on the pinion side instead of machining the splines.

Regardless, Ford used standard SAE straight sided splines. All of the info can be found in the Machinery's Handbook. They can actually be done on a regular mill using a standard endmill and an indexer. You have to cut each side of the spline individually and then relieve the center.

Having a legit straight sided spline cutter takes less time but is not necessary.

Dave

3. cw

cw
    from Midland

Thanks Dave
    I am shortening the drive shaft to 48" and will use a 6 spline coupler to connect the modified drive shaft to the quick change. So I need 6 spline on both ends.
    Do you think I could create a jig to hold the shaft, run the end mill in my drill press and index the shaft by hand?

4. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

NO. Never mill in a drill press with a Morse Taper spindle and no draw bar. You can use an end cutting end mill like a drill bit to make flat bottomed countersinks. But NO side cutting. The forces will pull the chuck out of the spindle.