Register now to get rid of these ads!

33 Chevy on ASC rails

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigheadbaxter, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

just take em to a hydraulic hose shop. They'll come out super nice.

bigheadbaxter likes this.
  2. bigheadbaxter

bigheadbaxter

I'm updating this previous post.(because I'm bored) At this time all the testing wasn't complete. Long story short I had ruptured 3 disc. And had An ALIF. Known as a 360. I'm fused from L3-L4-L5-S1. So 18 months later I still have different levels of pain. With 10 injections and a rhizotomy procedure last year I had been advised by two different Doctors that it needed to be removed. Anyway enough whining. Check out these crazy pics ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1461877760.034249.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1461877771.682824.jpg so the 33 sits idle a little longer

3. bigheadbaxter

bigheadbaxter

So I'm going back over the list of things I need. Heres ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1461879094.542220.jpg the turn signal switch that came today. I think I'll mount it under the dash with the lever peeking out instead of mounting on the column

4. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Those Screws bout made me puke, mine has been repaired but a lot easier than that Screw Job, good luck!

5. hope your feeling better. i have avoided back surgery for the last few years........and after looking at those photos.........

6. Sheet metal screws are for sheet metal o_O Hope you're doing well!

7. bigheadbaxter

bigheadbaxter

Finally got back in the shop and invested about 9 hrs sanding this weekend. Still have aways to go, But it felt good to make some progress
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1465772762.139639.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1465772788.538652.jpg

BradinNC, Rathbone, Leakie and 2 others like this.
  8. Glad to hear you're back in the shop.

9. bigheadbaxter

bigheadbaxter

Getting closer to paint, I finished sanding the body. And got the vinyl top installed.
    The front of the vinyl is 2 inches closer to the windshield. The side is 5 inches wider in the front and 11 inches wider in the rear beyond the original opening. With more uniformed covering it doesn't look as Mohawk like.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1469397733.177361.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1469397748.510558.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1469397761.877409.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1469397775.710114.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1469397786.359010.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1469397798.277157.jpg

koolkemp, BradinNC, TFoch and 2 others like this.
  10. Chuck Craig

Chuck Craig
    from Ocala FL

I used the flat 33/34/35 Std. radiator cap on my coupe and made a bracket to keep it in place as the new radiator does not have the service port at the top. There is a place in Kenner LA. that has the grille material that you can make the grille out of or just order it to fit. Keep up the good work, a 33 Eagle with a 3" top chop and a dropped front axel is ssssssssssssooooooooooooo sweet. A friend of mine hade one several years ago (barefoot hillbilly) and it was pained black with old style flames.

11. Nice work on the top! Looks sweet!
    Tom

12. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

Looks nice on the Ford rails...

13. bigheadbaxter

bigheadbaxter

BradinNC and TFoch like this.
  14. bigheadbaxter

bigheadbaxter

Can any one tell me what's missing here? I'm assuming a spring and retainer that allows the position bar to pull tight [​IMG]
    Please send a picture if you can

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Wow looks good you have screws in your back and you work on your car I have lead in my ass and I have been waiting on it to cool off ! Hope your doing better the chevy looks great

16. Yes, just a spring from the curved piece up to the dash rail framing is all.

17. yes the spring, a small bracket for it on the cowl and the vent gets a piece of mesh across the front.

18. bigheadbaxter

bigheadbaxter

Luckily I have this extra cowl section to mock up. Between both cars I had everything I need except the spring and the piece that attached it the wooden structure. The screen I have is mangled. Any suggestions or ideas on the screen? A stainless piece would be cool, but I wonder how much I'd have too buy for such a small piece?

19. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

I'm working on a '32 Chevy coupe and the choice between wood or metal structure had me stumped. Your way of doing it has inspired me to go the metal route. Thanks! Btw, nice work. Your sedan is outstanding.

20. check the hardware/lumber store they do have some neat stuff sometimes. also check the soffit vent or gutter isles. the gutter guards have a nice fine mesh.

21. bigheadbaxter

bigheadbaxter

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  22. Nice and shinny! Looks great!

23. bigheadbaxter

bigheadbaxter

More help needed gentlemen. This first pic is the grill end of the hood hinge. With the new retainer piece that I got from I&l if I remember correctly [​IMG]
    The next are the cowl end. The retainer is worn but I think will work, but I need to make another spacer. It's worn out
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    And was told there's not a new retainer for the cowl end available? So is there any kind of isolator on the hinge ends? plastic, rubber or Bakelite ? Or just metal to metal?

24. bigheadbaxter

bigheadbaxter

25. i will check tomorrow if my car has a spacer in the front, i think it does.
    on the hood hinge the angled end goes toward the cowl to clear the "scoop".
    i have never seen anything but "metal on metal" although on the '37 chevy pickup, i am working on now, i slipped a piece of shrink tube over the end. the shrink tube is a very heavy/tough stuff i found but i have no idea how long it will hold up. just playing around and it can't hurt.

Hudson31 likes this.
  26. You have it backwards. The top picture is for the cowl. I got the same piece from I&I for mine. The bottom picture is for the grille. I'll try to get some installed pictures tonight. Mine is metal to metal but I'd like to see if anyone used something between them. tb33anda3rd shrink tube is a good idea.

27. bigheadbaxter

bigheadbaxter

Thanks so much guys. Pain medication has taken a toll on my memory. I like the heat shrink idea. Looking forward to your responses. Also one side of this hinge is stainless, it was painted. I assume it should be polished since it's the side up and showing?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  28. bigheadbaxter

bigheadbaxter

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  29. Here's a few pics. The first three are the pivot on the grille shell. The last one is the cowl pivot. Hope this helps.
    Tom DSC02890.JPG DSC02894.JPG Grille Shell Hood Mount.jpg DSC02891.JPG

tb33anda3rd likes this.