Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1949 Austin countryman

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ramrod2624, Apr 17, 2016.

1. ramrod2624

ramrod2624

What kinda of updated frame can I put under an Austin A 40 countryman?
    I'm thinking that a updated chassis would be easier then trying to restore or modify the original chassis as well as engine.
    What are your thoughts?

2. chriseakin

chriseakin

Try looking in Practical Classics - English car magazine - and see if there is anybody selling replacement frames.

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

4. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Is something wrong with your frame or are you figuring on installing a much heavier engine than the original?

5. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Silly question , but does it even HAVE a frame ? Lots of stuff like that is unibody , my buddie's A35 is - don't know about your '49 though ...

6. ramrod2624

ramrod2624

The car is complete including the engine. Without doing a lot of research yet I'm thinking that trying to get the engine running or rebuilt may not be worth it. Also how hard will it be to get suspension parts for it?
    I like the body style as it's different and I'm thinking that if I could find a suitable frame that I could set the body on with minimal modifications that may be the way to go. Updated frame, suspension and drive line.

7. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

8. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

So what has that wheelbase and track? Model T perhaps? I'm not sure but it sure is tiny.

Most t-buckets have ~102 inch wheelbases and track width of 54 (+/-) inches.

9. Superflea

Superflea

why not use the original frame--very strong boxed frame--built a panel back in the 60's that would run 10's all day--Olds power and 58 Olds rearend--tube front axle and original 9 leaf rear spring---cut off the excess front susp parts and run a tube--just my 2 cents worth

10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

They were fairly advanced for the times with IFS and open drive train. The same basic engine, suspension etc were used up into the 80s on the MGB. You could bolt in MGB rear axle, front disc brakes, etc. and there are more modern upgrades for the MGB suspension and brakes that would probably fit. The MGB is one of the most popular English classic sports cars and is well supported for parts.

An 1800cc MGB engine will fit in place of the original. Or maybe, some other 4 cyl or small V6. You don't need a lot of motor in a car that only weighs 1800 lbs.

Or you could keep it all original. They are a nice car to drive but slow with a 40HP 1200cc engine.

In either case it would be MUCH better and easier to keep the stock chassis.

11. bchctybob

bchctybob

I have a '48 A40 2 dr sedan. They are short and narrow making it harder to find a suitable later chassis for a swap. Most late model cars that small are uni-body. Like Rusty and others have said, the stock frame is fairly stout, the rear suspension is workable leaving the front end as the biggest issue. I would research front end rebuild parts first. If nothing is available look to the hot rod shops for a front clip. You could go Must II or straight axle depending on your direction. Either one would be OK even with a small engine. There are several guys on here who have done great things with their Austins, I'm sure they will chime in with suggestions and photos.
    Every build needs a destination, you need to decide how far you want to go and what kind of budget you wish to commit to it. That will determine the scope of your options.