Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ford Top loader or T10 in a Galaxie

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34toddster, Apr 18, 2016.

1. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

IMG_0163t10.JPG I'm re-starting my 63 Galaxie project so I need some advice from those of you that are familiar with this model.
    My question is about the length of the transmission. The toploader and the T10 I have look to be out of a car other than the Galaxie, Mustang maybe,because of the total length, I think its shorter than the original trans not that it won't work but I concerned about the tailshaft being too short and that would put the shifter too far forward.
    Sorry for this question, but I need to decide what trans to use so I can get it rebuilt before I do my mock up.
    Thanks for any help. see pic of the T10
    BTW from the front face of the trans to the trans mount is 14 inches to the rear of the trans is 24 inches.
    The Toploader is about the same, no tag on the toploader but the T10 tag is 3D3-B-1 I assume that is a build date maybe
    Thanks again!

2. I used to have a 64 Galaxie with a 4 speed and it had the long tailshaft. Like this one:

th.jpg

34toddster likes this.
  3. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Looks like the mount for the shifter and trans mount are still in the same position
    Thank you very much for your input, I did find out my T 10 is a falcon trans.

4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

That t10 looks to be for a small block as the pilot is long..The trans mount looks to be for may be a falcon/comet as dosen't look like a Mustang mount..Shifter mounting bosses I have never seen, won't be problem being forward but may have to get inventive with shifter and rods..CHECK out put splines, there were some applications that had smaller splines like 25 [falcon/comet/mustang with 6 cyl] instead of the usual v8 28 [maybe 29, I forget:confused:]........

34toddster likes this.

5. Judd

Judd

34toddster likes this.
  6. Judd

Judd

A 63 would have a t10 from the factory but that top loader looks like it would fit. I have a t10 fraom a 62 Galaxie if you need measurements on any thing. 62/63 are the same other than input shaft spline and input bearing retainer size.

34toddster likes this.
  7. Yes, you've got a Falcon/Comet T10, which is not only shorter but will locate the shifter too far forward. If you're running a FE with the '64-back bolt pattern, swap to the newer '65-up bell, flywheel, and starter and you'll have a lot more trans choices, i.e. full-size as well as some later Mustangs and Fairlane/Torinos.

34toddster likes this.
  8. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

The marks/letters on the Toploader should be able to tell you what model it came from

34toddster likes this.
  9. The different tail shafts have different mounting points. Falcon - Comet shifter mounts close to the main case. Fairlane the shifter mounts in the middle of the tail shaft. Galaxie big merc the shifter mounts towards the end of the tail shaft.

34toddster likes this.
  10. wasn't the late top loader a 1965 entry on the scene ?

34toddster likes this.
  11. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Look for a big notch in the tailshaft housing for body crossmember clearance on the Galaxie T10's

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    34toddster likes this.
  12. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

13. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

Toploaders with the narrow pattern came in '64 Galaxies, wide pattern for all applications after that. Galaxie trans are 27 inches long, Mustang and Fairlane transmissions are both shorter with the shortest being 24 inches. Input pilot lenght is long for small blocks and short for FE's. The truck bellhousings are 1/2 inch deeper than the car bellhousings and are often being misrepresented as fitting cars on eBay. Part number on these are C5TA or C5TE-XXXXX.
    Kevin

34toddster likes this.
  14. Appears to be a Mustang T-10,at least it looks like the one I have. HRP

34toddster likes this.
  15. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Geez, my head is spinning on this one, I have 2 other Top Loaders neither for a big car, single bolt pattern and dual bolt pattern. I also have a quick time bell for a TKO, but no TKO, last choice on this one due to the cost, sooo the prudent thing to do is not get in a hurry and mock the whole thing up with my different trans to see what I can make work.
    I appreciate all of your answers now it's time to get off my ass and make something work.
    Thanks to all!

16. town sedan

town sedan

With top loaders it can also make a difference which side the speedo cable goes in, depending on original application.
    -Dave

34toddster likes this.
  17. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Go with the long tail housing Galaxie Top Loader. It is stronger and will take a lot more abuse. Will fit your Galaxie with no modification to driveshaft or crossmember. No need to pay price for large diameter (1 3/8) jack shaft tranny. The smaller jack shaft is plenty strong unless you go dragracing with a big set of slicks. The dip in the tail housing is for the stock Galaxie shifter to fit. A real trick set up is to use the 2.78 low gear set out of a Mustang, Fairlane, etc in the Galaxie case. The lower first gear (2.78 vs 2.32) is a lot easier on the clutch in a heavy Galaxie.

34toddster likes this.
  18. barstowpo

barstowpo

You should be able to sell the Mustang T10 and pick up a Galaxie one and pocket some cash. The Mustang ones seem to be worth more. I've had both T10's and Toploaders in Galaxies and for a mild street car either is fine. If I had to choose, I would go with a Toploader.

19. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Thanks again for your replies. I have a question for you Kentuckian, to change from the 2.32 to the 2.78 do you have to change1st 2nd and third + the cluster? Or?
    I just dug one of the Top loaders out of the barn and it is HEH-D so I'll use that one. I thought it was a short trans also but that is the RUG-E that is a 67 Mustang
    Thank you again!

20. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Thanks Barstowpo, that is what I'll do now, try to sell the 67 Mustang Top loader and the T10 has a funky tailshaft I see is for the 64 and 65 Falcon, I'll sell that one too I'll never use it, I'm sure
    Thanks for your help!

21. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I think with a tailshaft change it could be used as one ...I think.
    Thanks HotRodPrimer

22. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I'm really glad I collect shifter arms levers and anything else I can find for the Hurst shifter, during lunch I took my new shifter for my 64 ElCamino and mounted it up on the Toploader I think this will work. Now to find rebuild parts? I've found a company called David Lee???/ QAnyone do business with them?
    IMG_1154.JPG

23. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

what motor are you using?

24. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I'm using a 390 FE Joker, mild cam etc.

25. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

JFYI, the HEH-D I have came out of a '64 390 Galaxie.

34toddster likes this.
  26. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

- Cool - nothing like the torque of a big block - had one like that in a OT '66 Fairlane GT with close ratio 4 speed & tall gears in the rear - it would be sluggish leaving a stop sign - on freeway would put it in second gear at 70MPH and that motor would react like I gave it a shot of nitrous - lots of fun

27. barstowpo

barstowpo

The name your looking for is David Kee Toploader Transmissions. He has a web site and all the parts you need to put your trans together.

28. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

LOL I had a 64 XL many years ago and thought it was fast, well until a SCJ Mustang spanked me BAD! That was one bad 428 it was!
    Hey Joker, mine has a 3.00 gear in it I'd like to keep that but I'm not sure it will even take off from a dead stop with the Close Ratio, what do you think?

29. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Thank you Barstowpo!

30. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

- my '66 had what i think was 2:75 so, 3:00 could work - as long as you are not planning any street drag racing - guess 3:50 would be better.

34toddster likes this.