Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical early ford transmission

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ron Brown, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg thinking of upgrading from an A tranny to a later tranny with syncros...spotted this one for sale on Craigs list. Question is looks like it is designed for starter on passenger side. Will this still work with driver side starter like stock A. If so I assume you would just ignore the bumpout for the starter.

2. Hop2it

Hop2it

Looks like a 60 hp tranny which has a smaller dia. Input shaft which would lead to couch disc issues I think you would be better off with a reg 39 tranny,it has the same size clutch spline.
    Doug

3. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

thats whats great about this site...someone always knows thanks Ron

4. A reg v-8 tranny is not a direct replacement for an "A" tranny,,and yes,that tranny you found on C/L is for a v-8 60 hp.

5. ydopen

ydopen

hotrodtom and Hnstray like this.
  6. 97

or you can find a 32-34 banger trans and bell housing then fit synchro gearset from later trans.... up to 48 car and 52 pickup or even lincoln zephyr, all fit (with some effort). Change to V8 flywheel and later clutch at the same time...you have to modify the banger starter...i.e. reverse the pinion. details are found in the banger meet archives.

7. What is the advantage to the V8 flywheel? Weight? I think I would go with a lightened Model A flywheel modified for a V8 clutch.

Charlie Stephens

hotrodtom likes this.
  8. oj

oj

You might be wise to get Vern Tardel's book on the early Ford transmission, it'll save you in the long run.

9. hotrodtom

hotrodtom

Mitchell Manufacturing is building a Model A trans with synchros now that is a direct replacement for the regular non-synchro A trans. I think they'll build it with a longer ("Zephyr") second gear if you want. Expensive, but it'll bypass a lot of the headaches of fitting a '39 trans.

10. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah I have Jim Brierlys book and it explains some of this stuff and ive looked at the Mitchell trans swap...little pricey, but the worst part is having to trade in a trans to get one as a core. I would like to have everything and do a swap without a bunch of down time waiting for parts and exchanging trannys and such...I don't know, still up in the air as to what I will do right now, with used 39s going in the $500 neighborhood and $400 for adapters and any used tranny would possibly need work or rebuild done, which adds up to even more, the Mitchell thing looks like it might be a good way to go. Looking at all options

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

The Mitchell is a real nice unit, we installed one in a customers car. First class stuff but costly. Bob

12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Buy a junk trans on the HAMB want ads for the case trade in. Assuming your A is stock, a transmission swap to a V8 trans loses the pedals and radius ball mount, and the brackets offered in the kits look pretty shaky in comparison to stock.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  13. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah...im going to skip the V8 tranny and look elsewhere thanks Ron

14. This is a question I have never seen answered, how does the Mitchell compare to the '39 in terms of smoothness and shifting speed? Can a novice tell the difference? Is there anything you would notice in the course of normal street driving (not racing)?

Charlie Stephens