Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Car Shows

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fender1325, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Fender1325

Fender1325

Im thinking hard about stopping at the good guys event in raleigh NC on a camping trip today.......then I saw the $17 entry fee.....

I went last year. Some very cool cars, not a huge turnout but a success for the first one in raleigh.

Unfortunately they werent strict with the "up to 1972" rule. They had some BS there.....90's corvette pace cars and crap like that.

I live in charlotte and go to the auto fair every year fall and spring, and theyre getting especially leniant about whats allowed to be shown. Im talking mid 90's f150's, 80's monte carlo's and other stuff you can see for free at walmart. I will say they had some EXCELLENT cars in the outside parkinglot for judging.

Pricing is similar to GG by the time you pay 5 bucks to park a mile away.

I really love car shows.....at 30 years old I dont have any friends that are into owning or building the old stuff, they all have mustangs....fine but not the same.....so its awsome to see old school up close and personal...but I wonder if Im kinda getting over these big corporate car shows.

Seems like these shows are all about money - just about any car from any era is allowed, just about everyone is trying to sell it, they charge a steep fee for getting in and a really steep fee to show your own car! Kinda lame.

I really wish NC had some strong car shows that were strict about whats allowed to be shown, and controlled the ticket and food prices to reasonable for a couple or family to go. Like nothing newer than 1960, maybe 8 bucks to get in, free to show your ride, normal food prices..

Cars and coffee is pretty cool in that respect, its just car guys and its free....problem is anything goes and the majority is mustangs and tuner imports.

I tried organizing a car club here in charlotte (first a cadillac only, and got no responses, then a classics of all brands and got a couple responses).

Im just ramblin, cant sleep. Thoughts?

2. wicarnut

wicarnut

Thinking, ENJOY the "Hobby" I Respect your thoughts on what you think it should be, But, diversity is what makes the car hobby work and you will find people w/ your interests, this forum's deal is about old school, just don't be "that guy" always bitchin and moaning. Life is all about choices, Attitude is up to you, be happy or bitchy. This free advice comes from an "Old Timer" and free advice is sometimes worth the price paid.

redo32 and clem like this.
  3. exterminator

exterminator

Yeah,i always thought it was stupid that the car owners had to pay the most$$ to show their car. But that is why I go as a spectator to most shows like LA Roadster and Grand National, Mooneyes to pay money.You might start your own run with a friend or two who have old cars and start an reliability run.(it helps to have some nice senic roads.Either start or end at an old cafe or restaurant.Oh yeah,once you start letting newer cars run with you-your stuck with them and if they must go try to let them ride with you so as to encourage them to get one themselves.

4. exterminator

exterminator

Heck,i remember when old car shows were pre 1948 only!

tfeverfred likes this.

5. DdoubleD

DdoubleD
    from Michigan

That's why I like the local cruise-ins....bunch of folks that like to hangout and bs about cars. No entry fees no trophy whores. Some do limit to say 1972, but another Sunday event I attend locally lets anything in. I just don't bother looking at a 2015 Mustang with the "cool" billet radiator cap kit.

6. slowmotion

slowmotion

We have a weekly local one here just like that. $3.00 per car. They have a DJ, and the awards consist of pulling a ticket every fifteen minutes or so for a free sandwich platter at the restaurant across the road. Works out pretty good. Sure, there's some newer stuff, but mostly pre '72 and that's OK with me. Naturally there's some regulars. I look forward to shooting the shit and getting some grub, it's a good time.

DdoubleD likes this.
  7. Fender1325

Fender1325

I hear ya.....the occasional car one doesnt like is fine, but some of these things at this last autofair I was downright mad I paid money to get in. Bone stock 80's or 90's cars the guy was selling.....as if you walked onto a used car lot....that you paid money to see.

8. Gman0046

Gman0046

What a novel idea, charge car owners high fees to register their cars and then charge spectators high fees to view the car owners vehicles. Wish I thought of it first.

Gary

Max Gearhead likes this.
  9. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I rarely go to large shows anymore...especially the ones that charge..
    We are very fortunate around here to have several within about ~50 miles that do NOT charge, and are awesome...
    I also feel that as a "General Rule" the folks at the smaller no fee shows are a lot friendlier and more open to talking about their cars and have a genuine interest in yours..
    And before you rip me a new ass... I said in GENERAL...

10. I don't go to shows that charge ME money so that they can make money off my car. LA Roadster show is free for me because I own a Roadster. GoodGuys is free for me here at Del Mar because I work the show. I just absolutely refuse to pay 20 bucks to sit in a parking lot. If it is a local show with a charity involved then I look at it differently. We do have lots of local get togethers that are free and fun.

11. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

We put on an annual car show.It takes several months of planning to secure the park, Food Trucks etc. Every member is expected to donate a $25.00 raffle prize AND get a raffle prize from a friendly business. When the show is over , we have to clean the park up.
    We charge an entry to cover insurance, porta potties, coffee and donuts etc. After we pay all the bills,we donate the remaining funds to a charity.

We have yet to force anyone to attend our show.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  12. Stopped by a local cruise spot last night, too cold and not open yet. But a few cars showed up and we stayed for about an hour. This place is packed on a nice Friday night. $3 to get in which may go to a charity. A vast array of cars, but if you get there early you can cherry pick your spot.

13. donno21

donno21

We have several "gathering's", a Friday evening parking lot get to gather. (free) Sat. morning cars & coffee (free) and a Sun. morning parking lot group. (free).Open years, no rules or meetings or money involved. I enjoy the variety and seeing what other folks have done to their cars.

14. Went to a local "cruise" last night. Free or $10 if you wanted to be part of the "people's choice" trophy contest. I chose "free" and stayed a couple of hours, visited with some buds, checked out some cool rides and made it home before dark (too many deer out on the highways at dusk ..... saw 3 standing on the edge of the road within a few miles of home). Went to a friends house/garage for "cars & coffee this morning. 14 folks and 12 cool rides ranging from a '39 Ford 4-door, '40 Chevy Coupe, some OT's like '67 Chevelle, '70 big-block Vette, Mecum Trans Am, and a couple of C5 and C6 Vettes. Enjoyed some awesome breakfast food and great friendship before everyone went their separate ways. A couple of us are getting together tonight to go to a local paved circle track for some "roundy-round" racing as spectators. All in all, a great weekend in the car hobby!

DdoubleD and exterminator like this.
  15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yup.....for a lot of older folks (me included) anything post 1948 was a street machine or custom. It seems as though Hot Rod magazine ushered in the mix of rides and styles in their magazine and everyone else followed. But when I used to go to shows, if I saw a ride I I didn't like, I just kept walking. Still the best way to have fun.

clem likes this.
  16. toml24

toml24

For a yardstick comparison, the weekly Donut Derelicts Car Show in Huntington Beach Ca. on Saturday mornings gets about 250 cars and trucks from all decades and its free for the cars and spectators. There are no organizers barking out where to park or telling you where to go. You just drive up in your vintage tin vehicle, pop the hood if you like, and walk away for a cup of coffee. When other car show close down, those cars come to DD. It doesn't matter that it's the newer stuff, there is room and acceptance for all. Car owners also put "For sale" signs on their cars, which, by the letter of the law, is forbidden, but this show polices it's self well and for 3 hours every Saturday morning everything is alright in the world of vintage cars.

OLSKOOL32 likes this.
  17. I like car shows that let in anyone that wants to show their car, Otherwise how would you know what you don't like.:rolleyes:

Max Gearhead likes this.
  18. bob b.

bob b.
    from peoria az.

I have to think the Donut Derelict show is the best when ever I am in southern cal. I go there the donuts are pretty good to

OLSKOOL32 likes this.
  19. too many fords

too many fords
    from Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas was $40 each this year.....

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

They'll never get mine and they don't care. So.......

21. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

I find it kind of funny when I went to a car show that is "Pre 1972" and I see a PT Cruiser and 2000+ Mustang and Charger entered. But the PT Cruiser did have pinstriping, so I guess that made it ok :rolleyes:

22. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

lucky that we all have the freedom to pretty much do what you want when you want. but, to put on a decent show costs a lot of money. Renting a location, such as a City park, has skyrocketed. Same with insurance rates, especially if alcohol is being served. etc, etc. Most shows are not put on by non-profit groups. If it is they still need to cover their overhead expenses before the Charity gets anything. yes, it sucks about not limiting entry to '65 and older, like here. But, the public has a wide range of tastes and if you want the walk-in need to spread out the year range. Organizations like the Good Guys usually have Saturday for pre '72 and Sunday for any year American ride. Etc, Etc. PS - this subject has been hashed over and over.

wicarnut likes this.
  23. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Also many venues control the food vending so they set the prices for the food. I don't mind paying 10 dollars
    for some of the local shows that feature cars that are on topic, went once to a goodguys event would not repeat.
    I do not get upset at shows that allow 60's and even early 70"s cars, there is always something to learn from a well done car.