Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford AOD questions --line pressure off idle.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65fordguy, Apr 12, 2016.

1. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Hey guys, I have my 65 f100 setup with an AOD I just recently installed... before I take it down the road I have a question for you folks who have installed these aods.

I have the Lokar TV cable setup-- I have the line pressure set to 35psi in neutral with the spacer tool in just fine.. what Im not so sure about is the off idle pressure. when I remove the tool from the lokar kit pressure goes to 0.. articulate the throttle lever and the line pressure doesn't really move instantly with the throttle. -- could there just be a delay in the pressure build up to the gauge? ... or is there something else going on... With the pressure set to 35 and the tool removed I have maybe a 16th of an inch gap between the cable stop and the thottle lever. ( which im told by lokar is what you want )-- so this seems right. if I pull on the cable in neutral I can get it to creep up on the pressure .. just not with the throttle?

This trans is a 93 Mustang GT aod with 49k miles on .. all original.. the car was wrecked and parked. goes in reverse, park, and forward gears and wheels spin on jack stands in those gears. The guy that sold the trans to me said he actually drove the car before he pulled the motor out to put in his project. and said it drove fine.. and wanted me to drive it.. but had a problem with the fuel pump and it wouldn't start. Fluid looked ok in the pan when I pulled it.. not material or anthing.. there was a light dusting on the bottom of the pan but.. nothing off about it.

Carb is a new Quick Fuel HR 580 .
    Thoughts?

2. 65fordguy

65fordguy

3. 65fordguy

65fordguy

4. 65fordguy

65fordguy

It was a little under there.. I adjusted

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. 65fordguy

65fordguy

A friend says I need a TV corrector.. Lokar says I do not with their newer kits.

6. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I would go with Lokar and their new kit. I used a compensator with mine because I didn't use a Lokar cable, I just used a cable I had. I don't have any play in the end of my cable, when I crack the throttle, my pressure slowly builds to 35psi. So far I haven't had any problems, works good.

7. 65fordguy

65fordguy

8. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

Sounds like you're fine. Mine is set up very similar. I used a c6 kit because I already had it. Check to make sure at full throttle the tv cable is at full pull. I had to do some tweaking on mine since it was miss matched parts but it works fine.

9. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Same as my AOD. How does it shift?

10. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Haven't taken it down the road yet... I plan to here in a few days..okie yours is doing the same sluggish line pressure reading? Yours running ok?

11. 65fordguy

65fordguy

12. 65fordguy

65fordguy

13. 65fordguy

65fordguy

14. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

What Crusty Nut said. I believe it is supposed to go to 0. Been several years since I did mine but I recall that the Lokar spring was not strong enough to pull the cable all the way back so it would not go to 0. I added an additional spring to the Lokar setup to help pull it all the way back so it would drop to 0. In fact, it did not shift properly untill I did that. I drove my F100 several times for short distances to get the shifting sorted out. Now they were just around the block low speed drives, but the trans has worked fine for probably 15 years and maybe 25,000 miles. I would take it for a short drive.

15. Wim Latui

Wim Latui

Hey 65Fordguy .. how did this turned out?
    I have the same "problem" on my truck. It takes a few 100 RPM off idle to build up pressure.

Did the adjustment as described above.

tommyd likes this.