Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Carbs,

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Joe Romano, Apr 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. all I can say is what the man told me, he doesn't make a commision and doesn't sell any thing so I went with what he said, for 7 & change, he better be right, or I'll hunt him down....lol.
    BTW I don't know, but I don't think that line was fused or if it is, it didn't blow.
    Like I said I don't know shit from shineola......

2. I am a minority I suspect but I REALLY like QuadraJets. The original big spreadbore, great secondary control so you get the big charge only when you need it. Very easy to tune, in my experience, not much tuning is necessary, they are very forgiving with that secondary control system. They do have that irritating leaking bosses in the body but that can easily be fixed.

3. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Some stock sbc pumps do put out 7-9 lbs., especially the later smog ones with the return and vapor(?) outlets. i ran into this problem before.....

Now for the Edlebrock tech to say ALL chevy pumps put out 9 lbs i think is a bit irresponsible.

i think the best thing is to use a regulator unless you're sure of the pump/carb combo.

4. squirrel

squirrel

...or a pressure gauge

5. We will put it all back together when the parts come, and go from there.
    My way of thinking now is that, I can't go wrong if I stay with matched parts from end to end..
    and add my own fuse!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  6. When you get your carb, read the manual, it has tuning procedures and is well done and easy to understand. Edelbrocks are easy to tune, you will be on your way to good performance and fuel mileage.

7. Thanks for the input. Everything I learn, I learn the hard way.....

8. nevrDUN51'

nevrDUN51'
    from Nashua, NH

Nothing will have better throttle response than a 2bbl, but top end hp will suffer. I'd strongly recommend staying around 500cfm for better throttle response and economy. Stock motors with 8-9/1 compression and stock exhaust manifolds really don't flow a ton of air. A motor is an air pump and if it only demands x CFM of air, more doesn't help and always hurts.

9. nevrDUN51'

nevrDUN51'
    from Nashua, NH

Certainly run a smaller carb than you'd think since you're running tall rear gears. It will save your low end.

10. I'm in over my head...........lol. seriously...I don't know about manifolds and air flow, air pressure, compression ratios or anything else, now that it's mentioned, the engine has headers, I never gave that any thought, and the exhaust pipes are 2 1/2 inch, and I just found out today from the guy who built the engine that it has a 272* cam, for what that's worth, and flow master mufflers that I think are way too loud.I'm told that the cam is mild, just to give the engine a little rattle.This should not effect the determination of going the way I did on the advice of the Edlebrock tech.
    I'm going back to wood working after this.