Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Carbs,

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Joe Romano, Apr 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. I have a stock SBC 350, nothing is oversized, just plain ol' stock. It does have an Edlebrock preformance intake, every thing else is STOCK, what size carb should I put on it? Edlebrock manual choke 600 CFM or 650 CFM. The drive train is a stock TH350, and the rear is a 8.2" 3.0.1, thanks Joe

2. squirrel

squirrel

Yeah, 600 or 650 should work. Carter used to call it a 625 :)

I would put a Quadrajet on it, but I'm weird like that.

dana barlow, lothiandon1940 and slack like this.
  3. MBog

MBog

What he said^^^^

4. What they said.^^^^^ I am usually one to say that I do not like the Quadrajet, but the truth is that I just don't like working on them. GM used them for a reason and it was more than cost, they work really well on a mild small block.

A stock original 2 bbl 350 will run real fine with about any 4bbl in the 500-650cfm range.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note you probably should also keep the CFM suggestion of the intake manufacturer in mind. Any intake that is going to perform to its potential needs to keep the plenum full of air. So big plenum big carb. I cannot even count the times that I have heard someone bitch about their car falling on its face and blaming it on the carb when it was not the fault of the carb it was the fault of the carb/intake combo that killed it.

dana barlow likes this.

5. I don't know shit from shineola, Thats why I'm here....

6. Taste it, if it tastes like shit it probably is. :D

Here is a little advice if you want to learn, if @squirrel suggests it you can take it to the bank. ;)

lothiandon1940, Andy, hrm2k and 2 others like this.
  7. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

Agreed with all of the above. If you do go edelbrock, be sure to add a regulator. It will save you a lot of grief.

8. They like around 5 psi, thats it.

9. I concur. ...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. Squablow

Squablow

A "stock" 350 out of a '70 Camaro is going to be different than a "stock" 350 out of an 82 Chevy van, they had different cams and heads and exhaust manifolds even from the factory. So there might be some difference there depending on what your "stock" motor is out of.

11. Whats a regulator? I don't know shit for shineola, serious...Joe

12. It's from a 1974 Camero, 2 bolt, stock piston size and everything else, other then the Edlebrock preformace intake.

13. squirrel

squirrel

Fuel pressure regulator

dana barlow likes this.
  14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Correct. My reguiator was set 3-4 psi, with my 600 Edelbrock carb.

dana barlow likes this.
  15. OK, I got it, an Edlebrock 1405 600cfm with a fuel regulator set at about 3-4 lb,psi.
    Thanks Joe

16. Yep, that's pretty much right. And if Beaner suggests it...well, it just depends on whether he's pulling your leg that day, or not!

lothiandon1940 and wraymen like this.
  17. LOL sometimes I am pushing not pulling. ;)

18. fergusonic

fergusonic
    from Kokomo, In

I have found it necessary to use a Phenolic Spacer (like Edelbrock 8711) when running an Edelbrock 600 carb. It requires excessive cranking to start without that insulating spacer.

19. squirrel

squirrel

I run 5 to 5.5 psi on the Carters on my blown 427, they seem to be happy there.

With a stock mechanical pump, I would not bother with a regulator.

Whether or not you need an insulator depends on lots of things, but if you have fuel boiling issues (like when you park for 15 minutes, then it floods) a spacer can sure help.

also you can try a return line from the fuel pump or filter back to the tank...there are 3 line fuel pumps, and 3 line fuel filters, made just for this. I have a return line from the pump on the Qjet equipped 350 in my 57 Suburban, it behaves very well in warm weather.

20. also you can try a return line from the fuel pump or filter back to the tank...there are 3 line fuel pumps, and 3 line fuel filters, made just for this. I have a return line from the pump on the Qjet equipped 350 in my 57 Suburban, it behaves very well in warm weather.

I'm out of my league here, I just need simple answers.
    I think I have them with Edlebrock 1405 manual choke, 600cfm, with a fuel regulator set at about 3-4 lb psi.
    What kind (brand)of Regulator would you advise. Thanks, Joe

21. Surprised no one said the Holley 1850. Great little carb and easy to rebuild and tune.

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Whoh, whoh, whoh! Back up here...So let me make sure I have this straight...You guys are saying that the GM engineers are sharper than half a million guys on the internet doing grade 4 math on pocket calculators???!!!:rolleyes:

23. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

I won't disagree with the crowd but why not the 500 Eddie?
    I run 500s and 600s, the 500 seems at home on a stock 350. If I was to buy a new carb for a stock 350 today, it would be a 500. Just throwing it out there.

24. squirrel

squirrel

Sure, should work fine also.

25. Ok what's a 500 Eddie, I assume it's and Edlebrock.
    I went on line at Edlebrock, and came away with a #1405 600cfm, a 8711 spacer (for more plenum air)and a edlebrock #1789 fuel pump, seems a stock fuel pump puts out too many lbs of fuel pressure for an Edlebrock 600 cfm(and eliminates the need for a pressure regulator).
    I want to go with a manual choke because I think the fire stated at the electric choke.

26. squirrel

squirrel

I bet a lot more carb fires are started by guys not using a manual choke correctly, when the air cleaner is off the carb :)

27. So you think I should go with a electric choke? BTW, The fire started while I was driving.

28. squirrel

squirrel

Poor wiring practices are not really a good reason to shun electric chokes..unless you are the one with poor wiring practices?

Without knowing the details of the situation, my guess is that an unfused power wire was routed too close to something hot or sharp. If you're careful with the wiring, electric chokes are fine.

29. I'm learning the hard way.....Thanks for all your reply's, Joe

I called Edlebrock and spoke to a tech.(Edward)there, because I'm not going through this shit again.
    Seems, unbeknownst to me, that you can't just slap a carb. on an engine. Told him I had a Stock SBC 350ci. engine.
    His reply; A SBC stock fuel pump put's out 9 lbs of pressure, and a Edlebrock 1406 carb only needs about 4.5 lbs....
    So I ordered a new Carb, 8.5"Spacer, (because the carb needs more air in the plenium or something like that) a Fuel Regulator with Gauage, Fuel lineswith filter, Fittings, and a Edlebrock Fuel Pump, and new Breather.
    So from the pump to the carb it's all Edlebrock.

30. squirrel

squirrel

that's odd, a couple years ago I put a new 1406 on a the new stock 350 in my brother's 58 chevy wagon, with a stock replacement fuel pump, and it works fine.