Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Late model Flathead tech question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D2Denny, Apr 12, 2016.

1. D2Denny

D2Denny

Picked up a late model flathead and want to get it hot tanked and checked before proceeding any further. Got it all stripped down and ready to go except for removal of the cam driven oil pump drive idler gear. My books and manuals don't show how to do this and I can't figure out how to remove the stub shaft that the gear floats on. Any ideas??

2. flatjack

flatjack

It has an internal thread, I think 3/8 NC. Insert a bolt and use a slide hammer to pull it out. Its a press fit.

3. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Either that. Or you can make you a cheap puller. drill a hole thru a long piece of flat stock . As wide as the back of the block. Insert a piece of all thread into the gear and thru the flat bar. Put a nut and washer on the all thread and tighten it down. It should pull the gear off. I used some drill bits for spacers between the flat bar and block. Worked like a charm
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1460507686.725806.jpg

4. D2Denny

D2Denny

I take it that the stub shaft is a press fit in the block??

5. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Yes its press fit

6. D2Denny

D2Denny

Thanks fellas. Went up to the shop and used Lodaddyo's method and had it out in 10 minutes. Now on to the machine shop to see if the block's usable.UOTE="lodaddyo, post: 11478523, member: 670"]Yes its press fit[/QUOTE]

lodaddyo likes this.