Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Old Arvin heater with with a 7" Spal fan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blake 27, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Blake 27

Blake 27

I found a nice Arvin heater (6 volt 2 blade fan). It needed a better fan.
    An open roadster really needs a heater!

Attached Files:

• H-2.JPG
      H-2.JPG
      File size:
      102.3 KB
      Views:
    • H-3.JPG
      H-3.JPG
      File size:
      109.4 KB
      Views:
    • H-4.JPG
      H-4.JPG
      File size:
      112.5 KB
      Views:
    • H-5.JPG
      H-5.JPG
      File size:
      89.8 KB
      Views:
    • H-6.JPG
      H-6.JPG
      File size:
      148 KB
      Views:
    • H-7.JPG
      H-7.JPG
      File size:
      114.8 KB
      Views:
    • H-8.JPG
      H-8.JPG
      File size:
      126.6 KB
      Views:
  2. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

Very nice fabrication on the mounts, and it sure has the right look. Awful nice to have that heat source in a roadster

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. alwaystiredlong

alwaystiredlong

That is sweet, details are incredable!

4. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Very kool (Hot), but what did you use for the heater element??

5. Nice work. I like it a bunch.:)

6. Rand Man

Rand Man

Yeah, I gotta have a heater. Looks good.

7. Blake 27

Blake 27

The original heater core was in good shape, I just re-routed the lines to keep them inside in order to keep the firewall clean.

8. ratreo

ratreo

About 15 years ago I turned a 1935 International pickup cab into a roadster P/U. I robbed a 53 Ford F100 of a bunch of parts including the in-cab heater. I had the core checked out and built a mount a lot like what you put together along with all of the in-cab fittings for the coolant from the engine. I never got around to fabricating a soft top for the truck but we would still head out on the cold winter days for a ride. I had installed seat heaters into the bench seat when I built it. When cranked up they felt like heaven.

The trick that really worked well was to take expandable 2-1/2"plastic defroster tubing and anchor it to the defroster outlets on the heater. We would bundle up in warm coats, hats and gloves then stretch a blanket across our laps anchoring it down between the seat and the door. I'd crank up the engine, put the heater fan on high and extend the "tail" of the heater hose under the blanket. In short order the heated tent over our legs and lap would be toasty warm.

There was many a day in the late fall and early winter here in the Northwest that we ventured out on a winter adventure. It was much like riding the Harley, you could experience all of the wonderful smells as you ripped along. At least two to three times we ran into snow flurries. Just don't stop and you'd be ok. I had made a cool vinyl cab cover that extended up over the windshield and back down behind the rear of the cab. This was anchored with straps and soft bound alum. tabs that you could tuck under the back of the body. If the rain came poring down we'd find a warm coffee house or restaurant, install the cab cover and wait out the worst of it while having a warm cup of coffee.

9. Looks great. Any chance you have a part number for the fan?

Charlie Stephens

10. Gman0046

Gman0046

A Spal fan ought to blow your ass out.

Gary

11. I run that same fan in my Willys Coupe! Had to solder a hole in the heat exchanger, run stop leak occasionally and a 1-ohm 10W resistor on the power lead to convert to 12V but it really cranks out the heat.

Photo 3.jpg

12. hotrod37

hotrod37
    from Indiana

heater-1.JPG I found a similar heater in a '39 Chevy, tank was split. My buddy soldered it for me. I put a 12 volt fan in it and installed it in my '37 Chevy. On high it will run you out (2-speed switch).

nunattax likes this.
  13. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Looking for similar for my phaeton. It does get cold and some heat wouldn't hurt in the comfort area.
    Love the look and installation

14. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

come off it we all know it doesn't get cold in australia

mgtstumpy likes this.