Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Timm builds a model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@Kevin Lee sent you a message on Instagram instead of here for no real apparent reason

2. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Got it.

I don't think you'd have much to worry about with space. The F1's seat was fully against the back of the cab so... not getting much further back than that. Possible width issues but, that picture of one installed above looks pretty snug.

Still have to dig it out though – its buried up in the loft. Should have it out by next weekend. Also, I like Boulevard Wheat.

Tim likes this.
  3. Been good, doing house and dad things. My sedan got put on the back burner when I started playing on the Salt a few years back. The kid and I are working on a 51 GMC pickup to become my daily right now. Kevin like Blvd, I do as well. Give him one from me. ;)

4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Ill do that @Tman haha. Let me know when you dig it out @Kevin Lee and I'll
    Come fetch it with goods in hand ;)

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

image.jpeg Found this one on the "fenders forever" thread.

Figure I'm not making progress in giant bounds so I'd post my inspiration photos here when I come across them.

ROCKER77 likes this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

image.png Well I found this the other day so I think tomorrow I'll use it as a guide and nip off an inch off the ends of the second leaves and get them rounded.

He posted a photo of the front pack together and seems it gives plenty of space for the reversed eyes. Guess we'll find out!

8. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Glad to see you've started on the A!
    I've always been an A man.

Tim likes this.
  9. Lookin good, Timm. I used my cut-off saw to trim the ends of my model A spring leafs. worked great! I also ground the edges of each leaf like you did. I bought spring liner stuff from Speedy Bill and it all worked great 'till I tried to put the spring pack up in the model A crossmember. It wouldn't fit! Had to use my 4" angle grinder to get rid of the spring liner edges...Ok then.
    I like your build plan...all except the 4 banger motor idea. I'd have to use a flathead v/8 at the very least. A Buick/Rover aluminum V/8 would prolly be my first choice. A SBC would come in second as a choice.

31hotrodsedan man likes this.
  10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I'll have to check that out old timer!

And @Rocky thanks for the heads up on the ridges I hadn't considered that being an issue down the road. And yeah the 4 doesn't exactly scream hotrod but this needs to be a reacher as Sarah does up to 100 miles a day 5-7 days a week. She actualy looked at me like I was crazy when I considered a 11 gallon gas tank.

I have a few friends that use them in dirt track situations and the aftermarket is pretty big for them so I figure that will let me find a mph/hp ratio that works. It's gotta cruise in 75 mph traffic but it can't get 10 mpg doing it.

I've got some tricks up my sleeve for it I promise :)

~ as always things are subject to change

11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Alright got my second leafs cut down, shaped, rounded and etc. now I just need to wait until schedules line up and we'll blast them and reverse the mains :)

On that note I may have scored a nice little blast cabinet for the shop! Could be super handy so I'm looking forward to it

12. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad to see this car coming together. Stance is everything...heck, you don't even need to paint it picket fence shot.JPG if the stance is on. Here is a little inspiration. Im subscribed.

13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Love it Ron! I think yours sits great and I agree the stance is everything.

I used your thread as a guide for initial set up but I'm sure it'll take some fine tuning to get it just right as springs varie.

14. I know this isn't what you have planned but IF.....you decided to chop it, the proportions look better if you take about 4" out of the body's length right behind the doors. I had a super cherry 29 body and frame I was gonna do this to and w2ent nutz and sold it for cheap! It was sooooo cherry..even had original glass in it.
    29fordsedandrarwing.jpg

15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah the proportions can get out of wack pretty fast with these cars when you chop them, even more so with the fenders off.

16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Back from the round up all hopped up on hot rods :)

image.jpeg

Sarah's favorite Car of the show

image.jpeg
    My favorite car of the show

We were keeping an eye out for era correct greens for the car and these came closest I think image.jpeg
    They look more blue in this photo but they are more green in real life.

image.jpeg Took a photo of the Edsel the dash was in hopping it could lead us to a factory color sample later on. The green outside of the car was an obvious repaint but the dash looked original. One of our neighbors down the street has a 56 Mercury that is a similar set of greens.

Anyone have a name for them?

image.jpeg This caddy was also pretty close for the lighter tone, it doesn't look so vibrant in person I think the lighting just made it pop for the photo. No clue if that's a factory color or not

blackout78666 and flatout51 like this.
  17. modelamac

modelamac

here are a few Model A's I done in the past...

Attached Files:

18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Love em! That that third photo, the 3/4 rear shot is one of my favorite angles of these cars when done right.

How did you set them up suspension/drivetrain wise?

19. modelamac

modelamac

The Tudor & Coupe were Pete & Jakes complete chassis... I can't say enough good things about them, It's the only way to build one. The Tudor had a ladder bar rear, and the Coupe had a 4-bar rear... the 4-bar was much more accommodating to exhaust, and rode a little nicer. Both cars were SBC, automatics. On the Roadster I used an original frame, boxed it, Superbell front end and a Posie Superslide rear spring. I also z'd the rear frame. I had hopped up V8-60hp, and a Model A Quickchange rear axle, 40 ford brakes... it was pretty traditional. If you plan on diving it.. the Pete & Jake chassis is the ticket... it sits better, and is WAY easier. It just works, they have their shit together... I know you think you spending a bunch more for a complete chassis, but by the time I bought a complete front axle, rear spring, rear axle, shocks, mater cylinder, etc... and then figure labor, I didn't save as much as you would think. You can pick a chassis up at their shop, and be days/weeks ahead... there is/was a guy there named Jason that worked there and he is more than happy to help you with any questions.... he is great to work with.

Attached Files:

juan motime and Dannerr like this.
  20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah Jason's pretty helpful, should be he runs the place haha. Pete and Jakes is just down the road from me and I agree they do have their shit together.

21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

image.jpeg
    So I'm currently thinking 56 Mercury Heath green and spring valley green but I'm still back and forth with where those colors will land.

Nothing much to add other than that, we've been trying to get the interior for the 46 done and so this back burner project is on the way back burner other than day dreaming.

Oh! I lied I did make some slight changes to the plan when some free parts showed up in my garage.

With this -assumed, haven't busted it open- nice 46 transmission sitting there taunting me the gears started turning.

I've decided, for now anyways, that we will mate the late model 4 to the 46 trans and run a torque tube to a 46-8 banjo with the 3:77 ish gears. It simplifies an already simple build plan quite a bit and with a 750:16 tire in back that puts me right between peak torque and peak hp rpm's at 75mph.

Aught to be just right! Haven't figured out how to mate the motor to the trans yet but I'm leaning towards using the bellhousing and clutch set up from the motor and redrilling it for the 46 trans. <- yes I oversimplified that, I know.

Keep you posted :)

22. I like the Cambridge green......I'm a sucker for green.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. To add more, some shots I have. I like this color combo and this plain style interior.
    s-l500.jpg
    interior-1.jpg

Tim likes this.
  24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Alright so Sarah was talking to someone who just happened to end up with a garage full of model A & T's and what should she find but the correct color!

She asked and was told that it's a stock color so to google we go!
    image.jpeg

Duchess blue is a stock 1928 color!

image.jpeg

Duchess blue body, black fenders, and the wheels and Pinstriping the yet to be decided lighter color.

Dannerr likes this.
  25. Here's a '29 we did last year.
    Screenshot (5) (Small).png

26. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I can dig it :)

27. Classy! Looking forward to see more. :)

Keep 'em kruzin!
    Dannerr

28. Just now seeing this Tim. I like your plan and look forward to seeing it come to fruition. I am the king of eternally slow projects, so I'm patient. :)

Tim likes this.