Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Getting to the bottom of all the blessings. Almost there.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ourfriendlex, Apr 12, 2016.

1. ourfriendlex

ourfriendlex

Bb

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  2. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

You should replace it or rebuild it, the diaphragm is leaking and the gas pumps out the vent when you first start it. My Thunderbird did the same thing, the gas with alcohol in it eats the rubber in older vehicles, not kind to the carburetors either. Some gas stations around us have the no ethanol gas and I use it when ever I can.

3. Yep^^^^

I use electric pumps partially for that reason. But they are noisy and can be a pain to get installed and wired properly. A new or rebuilt pump is the easy way to go, or you can probably find a diaphragm or a kit if you look around.

4. ourfriendlex

ourfriendlex

Im looking for a new (mechanical) pump but i see two different types that are apparently compatible. Can someone tell me the difference if any and advantages of one over the other? Screen Shot 2016-04-12 at 11.25.07 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-04-12 at 11.25.16 AM.png

5. birdman1

birdman1

the shot diaphram could be pumping fuel into the crankcase also.

BigChief likes this.
  6. ourfriendlex

ourfriendlex

Got up this morning and it would'nt start. Take a look. Is it related to the fuel pump?

7. The rock auto pump is shown upside down. The once with the glass bowl is a ump with a sediment bowl, it is good only if you don't have a filter and are willing to crawl under there and empty the bowl once in a while.

yes a bad pump will make one hard to start and show a distinct loss in power. probably a good idea to change it.

8. Is the starter drive kicking out? Or a mini starter? Eventually that fuel pump will totally fail and today may have been that day. Take the tip above and check the oil for gas. Sometimes they dump right into the oil pan.

9. ourfriendlex

ourfriendlex

Thank you so much! Im new to this fellers so thanks for being patient w me. Seriously!

10. ourfriendlex

ourfriendlex

White smoke from the engine breather hose? very faint.

11. Pull your dipstick and see if you are making oil. if your oil level is rising that is a good indication that you have fuel in the oil pan. Also smell the oil does it smell like gas? that is also an indication that you have fuel in the oil pan.

12. Both of the pumps you show are for 6 cylinder motors; the V8 pump has a longer lever arm. And neither has the vacuum diaphragm half you should have to help operate your vacuum wipers... unless the wipers have been converted to electric.

13. ourfriendlex

ourfriendlex

I think that might be the stock photo they use. ... I hope cus i just bought the damn thing just before i read your post. :/ And yes the wipers have been converted.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  14. If your information is for a Y block you should get a pump for a Y block and getting one with the diaphragm vacuum pump is going to be pretty rare you almost have to go NOS these days to find one with the vac pump built in.

15. ourfriendlex

ourfriendlex

Screen Shot 2016-04-12 at 12.33.03 PM.png

16. ourfriendlex

ourfriendlex

Hey guys. So I swapped the fuel pump out w a new one but its still doing that whole squeeling noise like in the video. Any ideas???

17. ourfriendlex

ourfriendlex

Is it possible it could be electrical?

18. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Your starter motor is spinning but the starter drive is not engaging into the flywheel. Somebody who knows the 272 specifically will tell you for sure, I'd guess that there is a solenoid on the starter that is not doing its job to throw the starter drive in.

Get a new fuel pump, or even better would be to put a new diaphragm in that one. That is, if you can get good quality material to make the diaphragm. It is hard to get quality parts over the counter. You never know what's in the box. If you get diaphragm material that is rated for modern fuel, then you know what you have.

You should always ask for Gates Barricade fuel line when replacing rubber line. Barricade has a liner to withstand alcohol. I don't know why parts stores sell anything else, but you often get the cheap stuff if you don't ask specifically, and the cheap parts will not last as long.

Sitting is the worst thing for fuel system components. I put 60,000 miles on my 260 Comet almost all on E10. I never had a problem when it was a daily driver, but when it sat for months and months is when I could no longer keep power valves in it. I've never had a fuel pump problem on that car, but I have on others.

If a car sits too long , it may not matter what fuel you put in it, but you can certainly try to get the best fuel and additives possible. I would not be afraid of alcohol in a daily driver. In fact, there are a lot of reason to use it in a daily driver.

19. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

If you want to eliminate the possibility that you ring gear may be missing a few teeth, you can turn the motor by hand to a different position and see if the starter engages. I put my money on the starter solenoid, though.

20. ourfriendlex

ourfriendlex

I noticed this yellow terminal was out. I'm assuming a solenoid of some sort? [​IMG]

21. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

It is not a solenoid that engages that starter. It is a centrifigal engagement. So, you have to take the starter off and it is the thing inside the flyheel housing

22. ourfriendlex

ourfriendlex

Ahhhh this puppy??? [​IMG]

23. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

You were right, that is the solenoid, but that is not your problem. Some starters have different kind of solenoid to engage the drive gear. I was wrong Ford is not like that. Ford engages by spinning into the flywheel.

24. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Nope. That's the coil. I got you on the wrong track with my wrong nomenclature. Your problem in not electrical.

25. ourfriendlex

ourfriendlex

Hahah it's all good. Just trying to learn as I go along here. Lol.

26. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Here is what the starter drive looks like.

[​IMG]

Atwater Mike likes this.
  27. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Something mechanical is broken. Either that little gear is not spinning into the flywheel gear or it is and the teeth on the flywheel are broken.

28. ourfriendlex

ourfriendlex

do you know where its located on the Motor? Im looking but cant seem to find it.

29. ourfriendlex

ourfriendlex

I think i see on the left side of the motor as youre facing it under the exhaust manifold. Am i right? Either way i have no clue what difficulty level thats at.