Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 3rd Annual Arizona Hot Rod Hundred-Saturday April 9th

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by So-cal Tex, Jan 22, 2016.

1. 20160321_151641.jpg

Hey Doug,

I received the shirts for the SWMO Hot Rod Hundred today. Here's my older daughter, wearing a Medium.

They turned out pretty awesome.

2. Trophies are done as well and headed that way!

image.jpg

3. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Thanks guys, I have my pre-registered T-shirt order ready to go!

4. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I am excited to announce we have a route finalized that will be a loop of the scenic North Valley Foot hills and a scheduled lunch stop at the historic Rock Springs Cafe in Black Canyon City where you gotta try their famous Pie.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Route will conclude at my Cave Creek home where we will have a shop party, where we will give out the Trophies and provide light snacks-Beverages.

Detailed directions will be available at registration to all participants.

Here is the Agenda:
    upload_2016-3-29_15-45-26.png

Arizona’s 3rd Annual “Hot Rod Hundred” Reliability Run Saturday April 9th

Please join us for 100 plus miles of the most scenic foothills area of North Phoenix. The run is open to all pre’72 classic cars and Hot Rods. The event is free however we do require a can good donation that goes to the Foothills food bank. We have event T-shirts available for $20 and must be pre-ordered and paid for to ensure you get your size shirt. Some limited size shirts will be available day of the event but don’t wait so email me at [email protected] with your size and paypal payment.

Registration and Starting Point:

· 9AM – 10AM Open Registration and Commemorative T-shirt sales at everyone up at the Mid-way Stop. Starting location and Registration is North Ridge Community Church http://www.northridge.org/ 6363 East Dynamite Blvd, Cave Creek AZ 85331

· Drivers Meeting at 10 am and distribute direction and designated stops along the way.

· Depart for run at 10:15am through the scenic North Valley Foothills en route to Black Canyon City, detailed route directions will be provided at registration.

· About 12:15pm Lunch Reservations at the Historic Rock Springs Café, you gotta try the world famous pie. http://rocksprings.cafe/

· 2:30-5:30 pm- the group will have completed Hot Rod Hundred loop and we are hosting a Shop party at Doug Varner’s Cave Creek home, “Hacienda de Tex” where trophies will be awarded and light snacks-Beverages will be provided, bench racing encouraged.

· Email [email protected] or call 480-528-3985 for details or questions

· Please visit www.crossmemberscc.com for details about our mission.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
    nitrobrother likes this.
  5. mopacltd

mopacltd

6. Wish I could make it out for this one. Sounds like it will be a great time!

7. mopacltd

mopacltd

I took my 55 on a round trip to Havasu Monday. I think I'm ready for the 100 plus run.

8. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Missed the last one but plan on making it this time.

9. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

BTT.......THIS SATURDAY IS THE DAY......weather looks like it going to hold out and be beautiful in the 70's partly cloudy so us roadster guys won't bake.............................3 days in counting!!!

10. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Last Chance Fellows!
    The run starts at 10 tomorrow at North Ridge Community Church parking lot ( 6363 Dynamite Blvd Cave Creek ) and ends at my place for a shop party and trophy presentation............I have plenty of event T-shirts so if you did not pre-order you cab still get them while they last in the morning....................Hope to see you all tomorrow!!!

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

take lots of pics & post here

12. mopacltd

mopacltd

It's in the books. Fun had by all except the "Hard Luck" trophy winner that had his car on fire.

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Well, I am officially calling MYSELF the laughing stock of Phoenix!

You guys that know me know that my T-Bucket is genuinely my daily driver, day in day out for about 3 years now. It has only let me down three times in those years...

1. The day of the first Hot Rod 100, when it tossed all of the weights on the right front wheel, which was hopping a good inch off the ground for each revolution.

2. The day of the second Hot Rod 100, When I was going over everything getting ready to go, topped the water in the radiator as I watched it pour out of the gaping hole in the bottom of the radiator caused by some trash I had hit in the road the night before.

3. The day of the third Hot Rod 100, When at 6:00 AM I hopped into the loaded car, got the dog situated to go to So-Cal before the 100, and the battery was so dead even the "BOOST" setting wouldn't help. A new weirdly sized replacement for for very specific size needs was procured at 11:00 am.

I kid you not, does anybody ELSE see a pattern here?

14. grimmfalcon138

grimmfalcon138
    from az

DAMN CHIP!!!! sorry to hear about the bucket issues, it'll be fine tomorrow.

15. I only managed to take one photo the entire day...dunno what's up with that. Fairly good and diverse turnout. The Plymouth did great and will be a great nice daily for me. I had to bail after lunch but had a good time and got to meet a bunch of cool people. Thanks, Doug and crew! 20160409_101029.jpg

UNSHINED 2 and guthriesmith like this.
  16. KeithA31

KeithA31

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1460331850.904812.jpg Thanks Doug and all for putting this on, nice scenic route, myself and buddy Mark had a great time and met a lot of good people, we will be back next year, tried to put a little thru the windshield but can't get the video to copy over

UNSHINED 2 and guthriesmith like this.
  17. squirrel

squirrel

I was up in Phoenix in my 57 suburban...and busy at another thing, so I missed it. Maybe one of these years my schedule will work out.

18. Chip, next year we're going to keep the date a secret from you AND the T so it doesn't know when to bust a gut again! ;):D

need louvers ? and bchrismer like this.
  19. mopacltd

mopacltd

It was good putting some faces with the names on the HAMB

20. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

I enjoyed myself. The family and I made if back to California in one piece. I had a busy day being a "Firefighter" and towing the VW back to Ron's parent's house. All worth it! I will have the wagon "Daisy" dialed in and running right by next year's run. Thank you to all who participated. CMCC

Jay

21. Still patiently waiting for all the great photo coverage. It's been like 3 whole days. :D

3wLarry likes this.
  22. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Well, sorry for the delay but the 3rd Annual Hot Rod Hundred was the best every with over 20 cars at the lunch stop at the Rock Springs cafe. The weather was perfect in the mid 70's and partly cloudy with rain the day before so the desert was in full bloom.

This year the group was new with several of our normal participants had broken cars ( Hot Rod Ron, Scott Walter) and had three participants return from last year ( Andy, Jerry and Mark Briggs) so it is definitely growing in popularity.
    HRH 4.jpg HRH 5.jpg
    HRH 6.jpg
    The long haul trophy went to a very nice couple from Massachusetts they drove over 5,000 miles to attend the Springfield HRH last month and the AZ HRH this month, very cool folks that are not afraid to put the miles on their 72 Maverick with fuel injected 5.0 and an AOD.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  23. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

The lunch stop was at the historic Rock Spring Cafe established in 1900 as a stagecoach stop in Black Canyon City, this is where the hard luck trophy was earned by Ron the driver of '65 VW bug which caught on fire, luckily Jay Joyce was there to save the car with a fire extinguisher, fortunately a little melted paint on the deck lid was the only damage. 20160409_122854.jpg 20160409_122847.jpg 20160409_123024.jpg 20160409_161723.jpg 20160409_161848.jpg
    Mark Briggs and his '29 Roadster on Deuce Rails won the Crossmembers Club pick!

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Looks like great fun. I dig those little shows. I never feel rushed or in a hurry to see all the cars.

arkiehotrods likes this.
  25. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Most of the people that make the run each year are tired of the typical parking lot lawn chair car show scene and want to get out on the open road.............honestly for me there is no like feeling running down the highway at 65 mph in a roadster with 3x2 327 singing through the lakes pipes, sure beats a static car show.

26. squirrel

squirrel

It does sound like fun!

maybe you could throw in a couple days of drag racing....

Bandit Billy and guthriesmith like this.
  27. Thanks for the pics Doug! Looks like it was a good time. Any pics of Mark Briggs' 29 roadster?

28. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

Here is the proof, that the hard luck participants weren't " left hanging". IMG952788.jpg

29. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

I would say, "close your eyes and picture the perfect little 29 roadster"......There you have a picture.;):D
    Doug may have one, but that was my impression of the car, and why it got the club pick.

30. That's @hoop that has the Mav'. Steve and Lelia were a blast to visit with, when they were here in Springfield.