Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Sign painters brush sizes, help please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

image.jpg I am in the process of restoring a 1935 license plate for the Produce truck. I decided to order a decent brush or 2 to make it easier on myself. I was planning on using some one shot that I have. I am really confused on all the different styles and sizes. It seems there are a lot of different standards depending on what type of brush you may needing.

Can you tell me what you think I will probably need for the large letters/numbers and the smaller text as well?

Thanks
    Root

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  2. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I would just take it to a striper or sign painter.
    Most guys will do it for around $25
    Just a recommendation, KK

3. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Brush painting raised surfaces is not like painting a flat one. The bristles will want to slide off of the flats.
    I suggest masking with liquid mask and spraying a thin coat of color. This project will try your patience if you want a neat finished appearance.
    Sign writing/painting is art.

4. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I primed mine, followed by number/ letter colour (3 coats), and then 2 coats of background colour. I then polished off the background colour on the raised areas. Worked well for me.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    RICH B and guthriesmith like this.

5. Gray squirrel lettering quill,# 2 to 4 would be my choice. HRP

Roothawg and blackout78666 like this.
  6. IMHO an ink roller would work much better.

7. Sounds good to me.

8. Roothawg

Roothawg

Tried it. Terrible mistake.

9. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

If you've never tried lettering, I'd recommend getting a pro to do it. If you're hard-core, "I'm gonna do it myself", at least practice on the back side, trying to stay in the recessed part, until you get good at it. You can wipe the one-shot off with a thinner-soaked rag, as long as its still wet. Good Luck!

10. Root, go much smaller than you would think of going! The beauty of 1Shot is that it's self-leveling if properly prepared/mixed. A good quill would be my choice, again smaller works better...just takes more brushstrokes.

Roothawg likes this.
  11. That is how I have done it! Here is one I did that way many years back. PLATE 001.JPG

12. Roothawg

Roothawg

OK, but what is a "good quill"? I am at a total loss on sizing.

13. Root,the quills are round brushes and the hair is long and straight cut so when applying the one shot the tip lays out flat and with a twist of brush it allows a clean edge.

Listen to Brett,he is a pro at sign work. HRP

14. Roothawg

Roothawg

I may need to call Kyle Ambrose.

15. Oldstrk

Oldstrk

The lettering is not the hardest part the thin line around the outside will make you crazy. I use a #2 quill for the letters a Mack 179L and a Kafka #3 for the outside line

Roothawg likes this.
  16. ^^^ What he said!! Luckily, my old NC plates don't have the "border"....not quite so frustrating!!

17. All good info. I have been wanting to repaint my tag for my 56. Considering I suck with a brush, but have lots of patience for masking, has anyone ever painted the letters/numbers color first, masked them and then painted the background? I am thinking I could likely get the cleanest lines doing it that way with some narrow fine line tape? This is coming from someone who can't pinstripe by hand so used to do it similar to this to outline flames, etc...

Somewhat similar to how fortunateson and ct1932ford did it I suppose...

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  18. Hey Chris, send it out to me. I'll take care of it for you. If you wanna do it yourself, you're gonna need a couple brushes. A 2 & 4 for the big digits sounds reasonable if you have a steady hand. For the small stuff down low, an outliner like a swirly-q or similar is the ticket, keep the paint on the thicker side but use some flow enhancer.

Roothawg likes this.
  19. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thanks Mitch.

20. I wonder if the cost of supplies will exceed (or at least approach) the cost of having it done professionally?

Charlie Stephens

21. Roothawg

Roothawg

Kinda what I am thinking Charlie.