Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Lonestar round up, finally!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Mannnn .... hope you have about a zillion more pictures to post. Nice to keep the groovy lullaby of pictures and story telling rolling. Way cool, and by the way ... thank you very much. This trip of yours is a lot of fun.

P.S. Gotta' love the Lone Star beer if it's ice cold and nothing else to be found. South Texas staple. Have to pop a top at least twice. Same to be said of Big Red soda. Love it or hate it, I'm often made to drink alone. Ah well .... thanks again !

Tim likes this.
  2. Mannnn .... hope you have about a zillion more pictures to post. Nice to keep the groovy lullaby of pictures and story telling rolling. Way cool, and by the way ... thank you very much. This trip of yours is a lot of fun.

P.S. Gotta' love the Lone Star beer if it's ice cold and nothing else to be found. South Texas staple. Have to pop a top at least twice. Same to be said of Big Red soda. Love it or hate it, I'm often made to drink alone. Ah well ... thanks again.

3. Stuwillys

Stuwillys

Great post and photos.

Tim likes this.
  4. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

very cool

Tim likes this.
  5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Good!

Thanks for all the response guys. I didn't think I took that many photos but apparently I did lol. Force of habit I guess. I'll try to crank out the rest here before I go to bed, 1655 miles I'm pretty beat I don't know how the Omaha guys and the taulberts do what they do.

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

image.jpeg
    Did I mention the vendors? I'm a tight ass but dang the good deals where there to be had and there's something about buying something straight from the person who made it.
    image.jpeg We have a pretty fair collection of old car advertisements framed in the house but I don't think that we have ever seen a single 46 ford add in person. image.jpeg So of course when we walked threw the swap meet we found a huge stack of them! There had to be a dozen different adds and multiple copies of many! I have about zero ideas where these are going to go but I just had to have them

speedaddict, Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. nice post.....thanks for taking the time to share !

Tim likes this.
  8. 46stude

46stude

Those ads were dangerous. I started digging & finding cool ones, then had to slowly back away before I ended up with a trunk full......

Tim likes this.
  9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Alright Saturday! The big day!
    image.jpeg
    Traveling tip of the day, park near a land mark and take a photo of it so you can find your car later. I parked next to this 5 window figuring the chances of him dooring me were pretty slim lol

All day Friday I kept hearing that Saturday is bigger and if the weather held out it would be just packed. Well I tell ya the weather was better and there had to have been 5 times as many people at the show. Honestly I walked around corners that the day before led to empty fields and Saturday they were just slammed full of cars. It was overwhelming and disorientating at the same time.... Which probably isn't that uncommon of a combination haha

image.jpeg
    After breakfast Sarah headed to the local yarn shops with friends and I set out to see friends and focus more on the featured section. I was not expecting even more cars in the featured area!

image.jpeg
    I could tell there were quite a lot more cars out today so I made the choice to head to the furthest corner of the lot and work my way back. I cut threw the feature cars taking a mental note of what I should look at later and snuck around the back side over to where the swap meet was set up.

I didn't need more rusty stuff I just new bob bleed was set up there and as such had a pretty cool line up of cars every day next to his booth.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg Up between the food vendors I ran into @Tuck and fam before checking out the Austin speed shops booth. This new roadster is, well in a word clean. Very understated, it's full of neat tricks but nothing that feels flashy. You just kinda walk around it and little stuff pops out at you as clever ways to approach common hot rod issues. image.jpeg

image.jpeg Steve's gasser, pretty over the top in about every way possible

image.jpeg
    Down from there was bass with his roadster and hemi coupe

image.jpeg

Couldn't decide which photo to use so I'll post both. I'm sure you don't mind ;)

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

image.jpeg
    I assure you it's even cooler in person and I never even saw it move
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

After making my way up that row of vendors I continued working my way to the far corner and found this 52-4 ford. Don't see them chopped very often, let alone with the post left in place.

image.jpeg

I don't think it's finished but I like where it's going. I can't stress enough that if you see something cool on the street, in the parking lot or in the show if you have time look at it right then and there. There were a handful that I assumed I'd see later and after hunting for hours never saw them again.

image.jpeg
    Finally finding the corner I turned around and tried to work my way back. I was just walking at a good pace threw the grass trying to keep an eye out for jewels. I'm sure I walked past some really cool stuff but I'm there to have a good time not to try and see it all, because I just can't honestly.

image.jpeg

Walking along there were groups under tents and awnings cooking up every kind of tasty food. Craw fish boils, fajitas, burgers. It was like tail gating a foot ball game!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg

11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

image.jpeg I've been stuck on wagons lately so when I see something that could make a cool family truckster I'll take a quick snap
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg I don't think I've ever seen a suburban of this vintage, don't know that I'd go the bomba route but hey it's better than it sitting in a barn :)

image.jpeg This model A pickup had a hand full of brass/copper played details but what caught my eye was this little dodad on the gas cap.

I think it might be an antenna topper or maybe some sort of.... I dunno haha but it was best and kinda went with the deco feel of some of his other choices
    image.jpeg
    Yup. This was there. Just weird enough that I had to take a photo. Don't know if it was an old dirt track buggy or what but it caught my attention either way

12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Alright so my third pick of my top three
    image.jpeg
    I had seen this slink into the speed shop the night before just as I was leaving and was going to be pretty bummed out if I didn't get to see it at the show. Sarah spotted it and I wasn't disappointed!
    image.jpeg
    It had a mostly stock looking interior and dash which really sold it for me. Stock trim all the way around I loved it.
    image.jpeg

13. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

Tim, it was great running into you and Sarah there - an unexpected bonus. I love your coverage both photographically and editorially. I think it really gives everyone a taste of what it really is like to be there - all the fun, food, cars and general good times. Thanks for sharing these. As usual, when I look at someone else's take on event like this that is this side and somewhat fluid, I see all sorts of things I missed, so I'm glad you didn't. Till next time...

arkiehotrods and Tim like this.
  14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

image.jpeg
    Ended up finding some friends and talking our way back across the lot and didn't get many photos, I made my way back to the entrance and met back up with Sarah.
    image.jpeg

15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

image.jpeg
    We had decided since top notch kinda seemed like a bust the night before that we'd find dinner and do congress the second night.

Being from Kansas City I had to get me some BBQ! So we headed to the salt lick. Apparently so did the rest of Austin lol. The place is gorgeous, it smelt like heaven and is kind of out towards no where. However we were told it would be a two hour wait to get to the end of this line.... Which is the line to put your name in to wait in the other line.

Yeah. I'm not waiting four hours for bbq unless I'm cooking it. Onto plan B

Thankfully before we left we opened google maps and put a pin on all the food places we had looked up, so when the salt lick was a bust we just opened the app on our phones and saw that pie-ous <- spelling? Was pretty close. Away we go!

We ended up on curvy county roads cutting threw the green hills of dripping springs Texas. I've got to be honest it kind of reminded me of Iowa. That's a good thing, I think most of Iowa is gorgeous.

Anyhow.... image.jpeg No outside line!
    image.jpeg
    I feel like I can say with confidence that if you see a sign like this you should pull over.

image.jpeg Pizza, a pile of pastrami and a plate sized chocolate chip cookie. Because we are adults.

Though we did sit at a table on the porch with some kids, with face paint non the less. They looked jealous of my giant cookie and to be honest I was a little bit jealous of there face paint

Hands down best food I had in Austin.
    image.jpeg
    Made our way down toward congress and after finding a Parking spot we made our way up the block to this mural. It was pretty alright...alright...alright
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg I snapped some photos walking along to congress of signs and neon I saw but eventually I had to stop or I'd just start walking into stuff. Lots of neon in Austin.. More specifically neon boots. Lots of those. image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attached Files:

16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

See boots! There had to have been nearly half a dozen neon boots on congress

image.jpeg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Alright let's wrap this up, we made it to congress and while there really was a lot of people there wasn't nearly the cruising I had thought there'd be.

Lots of late model stuff, normal commuting people and a bunch of over heating hot rods. I think we probably should have gone to the speed shops party instead but we did see a dude on a donkey, a dodge neon low rider and get some over priced ice cream before making a lap or two and calling it a night. Didn't really get any photos that or worth posting but I did make a video that sums it up fairly well

19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Woke up the next morning and hammered down for 12 hours home, pretty un eventful just a stop in Witchita for some coffee and donuts before the Last three hours
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Just a lot of time thinking about what a great time it was. I would hardly change anything at all and it was honestly one of the only long distance shows where I didn't enjoy the drive more than the show itself. Hands down worth it and I think every one should make it if they can. I probably won't be back next year because it's a pretty big trip for us to make it a yearly thing but I know I'll be back someday.

image.jpeg 1655 miles of fun. It's going to be a great summer.

arkiehotrods, HunterYJ, Tuck and 5 others like this.
  20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah those adds where hard to walk away from! I've never seen so many good ones!

@Dan Greenberg it was awesome to see you and a total surprise/bonus! I'm pretty sure I still owe you a beer so I guess we are going to have to keep running into each other :)

arkiehotrods likes this.
  21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Oh! And apparently I didn't get photos of them but Sarah's number two pick was a green 32 ish pickup with a nailhead that was with the featured cars and the third a red 58 Buick wagon. If I find photos of them online I'll try to add them to the thread :)

22. Jibs

Jibs

Great thread & pictures, thanks for taking the time to post.

Tim likes this.
  23. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Thanks so much for the narrative and the pictures
    Much appreciated
    Jim

Tim likes this.
  24. Ranchero59

Ranchero59

Thanks Tim for your coverage and great story telling you get the feel for the whole event.

Tim likes this.
  25. hasty

hasty

Nice selection - thank you!

Tim likes this.
  26. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

WOW, just WOW. Thanx for all the imagery. Gary

Tim likes this.
  27. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

Thank You VERY Much!

Tim likes this.
  28. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Now that's what I call giving everyone a sense of the show and the all that goes with it.
    I especially liked your food and sign photos,you have a good eye for detail and your commentary adds mucho to your coverage.
    Great post, thanks for sharing. :)

Tim likes this.
  29. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Thanks for the pictures!

Tim likes this.
  30. OK I am cranking out tunes recorded at wood stock and feeling just a little gamey, sooooo this is my un-nice thing to say for the day ( unless something else catches my eye). Anyhooooo if you can't get with un-nice stop reading now.

If it were not for Roe V Wade this bitch would be illegal. ;)

[​IMG]

Now just to show that I am equal opportunity, @Tim ( and everyone who helped make this pics possible) thanks man lost of good chit to see and you pretty much have left me left me salivating.

belair likes this.