Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods WHAT'S THIS BARN FIND DEATH MACHINE BUILT OUT OF?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lewk, Apr 4, 2016.

1. I did a quick sketch of what I think I could do with this. I didn't spend much time on it. I may work on it for Fridays art show. But you can get the idea. Ron... 003.jpg

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  2. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Yakety yak, yakety yak

lewk and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  3. Ron - That's it!

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  4. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Oh man Ron, that's pretty cool!

5. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

6. lewk Thanks, do you have an up date? Hope you get this. there's potential there. I cleaned up my sketch a little. Keep us posted If you get this.

7. lowbudget I used your name for it, better than mine. 008.jpg

gonzo and lewk like this.
  8. chris' 38

chris' 38

pontiyak powered

lewk likes this.
  9. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

Yak photo's please

lewk likes this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In this area in the late 50s and early 60s guys in this area often rolled the the body off a running clunker and then shortened the frame up to where the tires were just behind the seat and had a "brush buggy" to run around the sage brush in for cheaps. in 1965 I had a shortened 54 Buick brush buggy that I ran through a barb wire fence on the way to my buddy's place to stick a cut down early 30's Nash coupe body on. Never made it to his place and still pack the scars from the barb wire Sold the brush buggy to the doctor who sewed me up.

Ron Funkhouser, Jet96 and lewk like this.
  11. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

The car is on my buddie's wife's grandpa's farm. My buddy isn't a car guy and is confused by the fact that anyone wants this thing. He says he'll talk to the guy that built the car, also family, next time he sees him. I don't want to be pushy and sour the deal or piss anyone off. He's a stand up guy, he will get to it, but it might be another week or so. I've got another buddy who's in love with it so we'll try to drag it home. I'll take lots of pics when if we can make it happen. I wanna see this thing up close and I wanna see the yak too. Apparently its been dead so long it doesn't even stink anymore. I've got another family farm car I'm chasing, a '56 Chevy wagon, in a similar situation. Sometimes it takes a while to get onto the family farm with a trailer.

12. Squabs got it, any pics of the Yak? You never know, this could turn out to be a really cool build,

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  13. RMONTY

RMONTY

Not that anyone asked, but the device sitting on the table with the tank and the electric motor on it appears to be a Lancer Carbonator. It is used to create carbonated water for fountain drink systems. The tank gets pressurized with Co2, and when the water level drops down, a float switch kicks the electric motor on and pumps water into the tank through a series of baffles, mixing the water and Co2 together. Ask me how I know.....

14. O.K. How do you know? And what does it have to do with a Yak?

15. RMONTY

RMONTY

I repaired one at a bar once called "The Thirsty Yak".

Thanks!

steinauge, gas & guns and Moondog13 like this.
  16. I think this thread has just about run its course.
    Monday_RealTalk.jpg

17. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Have you bought it by now?

18. rribits dream machine. hop in.

19. These post always make me think of old stories of days gone by. In the 80s my brother and I got this silly idea one day to build a Model A pickup in just one day. We took this old vega and torched everything off it. Then I had a couple of old A cabs. I put one on it by using 2 by 4 wood boards and built a wood stake bed too. Bolted on front fenders and a A grill shell. We were driving it before dark. lol, It was a YAK ROD! We never planed on driving it on the road, just on my granddads farm. just a couple of kids have n some Fun! Ron...

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  20. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

It seems to meet the guidelines as being "traditional". What's the problem?

21. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My how we've grown. Ryan and the mods should be proud. Not too long ago there'd be a few additional pages of those who might even offer to tug the guy who found this pig. Praises from on high of how it was, and still is, "the way", that it's a living artifact of what a traditional rod should be. Within recent memory thre was a topic about a real turd of a Model A. Unmercilous removal of the top to make it a roadster, cobbled up with rat shit welds holding angle iron shock mounts, headlights at different points and more (read as worse). On it went for what seemed ever as to how lucky we were to see into the past. What I saw was what was and will always take up space in the craft of building a hot rod, and that's the HACK. Those few who'd clobber together some junk and end up with something that most would be embarrassed to show up in at nearly any gathering. Is there some "good stuff" in it? Sure, and there always is but it's not always what we look for except for the raw materials one could put to better use. I know not everyone can build a GNRS winner, in fact there's a limited number of us who might sincerely want such a thing. Still, there's a lot to be said for symetry, vision, safety, and not the least of such things, aesthetics. I hope the OP can get it for parts, and perhaps for a better look at what not to do.

22. von Dyck

von Dyck

Is this a northern climate phenom? We took our roadster to a Plentywood, MT show a few years ago and met a super-sweet older couple there. They brought their T roadster pickup. Same type of thing. Body mounted on a Toyota chassis - driveline and all! Homemade roadster top, pickup box, depression era upholstery, etc. etc. But hey, they were happy to drive it and to be a part of the "scene".

BTW, that Nailhead with TH400 on that abbreviated wheelbase would have no space left for a driveshaft. Direct coupled to rear end? No tranny mount? Rear axle solid mounted to frame? Who knows? We'll just have to wait to find out!

23. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

Did you mean Ratshit Rod?

24. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

It might be a northern thing. I know a guy who just built a "Chevota" out of a '46 Chevy 1/2 ton and a 4x4 Toyota. He's gearing up to do the same on a '50 Dodge Coupe. He's got some really nice stuff in his garage too, for what it's worth.

I don't have the Yak yet. I've got a buddy with his heart set on it. I'll get pics of the whole scene as soon as I can get myself on site. I spent the weekend dragging home a '35 3 window instead.