Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Bought a 1963 1/2 Galaxie project car today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55chrysler, Apr 5, 2016.

1. 55chrysler

55chrysler
    from kelso wa

My friend saw this car sitting in a town in Oregon a couple weeks ago and it had a 4 sale sign in the window. He knows my love for 63 Galaxies so he let me know about it. This past Sunday I made the 45 minute drive over to look for it. I found it right where he said it was.
    It is a 390 with factory bucket seats and floor console and floor shifter.
    After talking to the owner and a thorough inspection I took it for a test drive which it ran and drove perfect. It needs floor and trunk pan and lower qtr rust repair. and just about everything else as you can see. Nothing I can't do.
    I left Sunday without buying it but couldn't get it out of my mind so I called the guy today and made the deal and he drove it to my house when I got off work. To my surprise when he showed up with it the back seat was full of extra parts including two more bucket seats.
    He made me a killer deal on the price as well.

Attached Files:

2. Fedman

Fedman

Congrats!
    Will make a killer cruiser.

3. Cool, my first new car was a 63 Ford Galaxie 500, 390 4 speed convertible. Had a sticker list of $3600.00. Good luck on this car.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. BLACKNRED

BLACKNRED

63 1/2 500XL

My favourite 60's Ford. Owned one for 10 years 390 Cruisomatic.

You can buy all the reproduction interior, I know the HAMB is Rods and Customs, but the original Ford trim for these cars is outstanding. Here's a bit of inspiration

Gal 1.jpg Gal 2.jpg

5. Fender1325

Fender1325

Thats gonna be great.

6. Moondog13

Moondog13

Hell yea, congrats! Just please make sure to keep those awesome wheels on it. :D

Chrisbcritter likes this.
  7. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

I remember that the people who bought the flat tops, were really pissed off when the fastbacks came out 6 months later..

Atwater Mike likes this.
  8. chargin03

chargin03

Love those cars

9. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

One of my favorite years. Had a bench seat,390 4 speed 3x2 car. In my infinite ignorance I sold it. Sold it to a collector who specialized in early 60's muscle cars. Definitely one of those cars I wish I had back.

10. harleyddad

harleyddad

rsz_63_ford.jpg One of my latest projects, love driving it, XL 390 Automatic.

y'sguy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Those wheelcovers will make great Frisbees or clay pigeons!
    Almost got a real solid one in '82 for $500 but somebody beat me to it; finally got a nice one-owner moredoor in the '90s for the same price:
    [​IMG]

low budget likes this.
  12. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Had one back in '69. 427 4sp bench seat. Car rode like a dream and was fast. Pissed off a lot of guys back then with their factory muscle cars. They just couldn't believe they just got beat by it.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Cool Ford.. I've been looking at them and they can get pricey...

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My Control Line model airplane partner got an inheritance from his deceased Dad, plus a big check for 'wrongful death' in a law suit.
    He ordered a new '63-1/2 Fastback, 427 and B/W 4 speed, radio delete, bench seat, 'spartan' interior...
    When it arrived, he drove it around 1 day, then we tore the Holley carbs off, boxed them up, and sent them to Les Ritchie's 'Performance Associates', for the geared secondaries and 'street/drag super tune'.
    Bill Waters Ford in Oakland had a 3rd member (4.11) with posi ('Equalock'?) (Long time ago)
    We flat towed it to the drags, (Fremont then, later 'Baylands') behind friend Jack's 426 Plymouth.
    Guys at the gate razzed us, "Hey, you guys have the Race Car on the wrong end of that tow bar!"
    I asked Jim to let me take it through...he declined. "You might do this all the time, but I think I can drive my car just fine!" Oh yeah...he 'dialed it in' at 13.60. LOL
    But in all fairness, he did let me drive it through. (jumped the bracket, got D.Q.ed for 'sandbagging'...) we 'corked it up' and he drove it home.
    Fast car, actually...he just had to learn to drive it. (which he did, eventually...Match raced every comer at the Montague Expressway 'track'...SCTA Sanctioned, that's 'Santa Clara Timing Ass'n' :eek:) 10 P.M. most week nights, we were the RJ drive in crowd...wicked adversaries were the gang from the Sunnyvale A&W.
    (those guys were organized...They had A&W decals on their wing windows! 3" water slides, took some 'pull' to get those...:D)
    There was an Asian kid with a '62 Chev tudor post model, 409. Called himself 'The Chinaman'. Undefeated, all the time we ran out there...he blew Jim's doors off, 3 out of 3.
    Jack finally beat the Chinaman with the 426 Plymouth...and not by much. That was one fast 409!
    But the 427 was always 'noticed'...Guys would say, "Listen to this Ford!" If you were standing 'down track' and he cut it loose from the lights, the sound of the induction was this extremely low 'roar'. Sounded 'ominous'.
    So I bought a white '63-1/2 when I found one. It was a 260 car (!!) Getting my new 406.

Moondog13 likes this.
  15. 63 1/2!! My favorite! Lucky you.

16. oj

oj

They are great cars! Here's the 'R' code that left my shop DSC00115.JPG DSC00117.JPG

Attached Files:

y'sguy, kidcampbell71 and MOTOV8N like this.
  17. tevintage

tevintage

Seeing a 63 1/2 always gets the blood pumping a wee bit faster. For those of us of certain age, seeing guys like Fred Lorenzen racing them in Holman and Moody trim is an indelible memory. John Mumford's 63 1/2 done by Roy Brizio and Dave Lane's are two fine high end examples! TEB

18. jimmy959

jimmy959

Congratulations, those are great looking cars! Here's a pic of the one I had a couple years ago... 63 galaxie.jpg

low budget likes this.
  19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

nothing like the torque of a Big Block

20. dad-bud

dad-bud

I've got a 64 500XL Convert 390 4V Cruiso. Had it for 11 years now. Love those 63 64 full size Fords. Are we going to be treated to a build thread? Good luck with it and enjoy

Sent from my SM-N9005 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. DRH

DRH

Here's mine, factory 390 auto car work in progress. Car was very rough but had good bones. Has a Crites frontend.

Attached Files:

22. 55chrysler

55chrysler
    from kelso wa

I used to hate these cars but about 15 years ago I bought a 2 DR sedan and fell in love with it. Then I got a box top hardtop. This is my first fast back.. I'm a die hard Kustom guy so I keep looking at it from that angle but a hot rod wood be fun.