Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Substitute for dum dum..?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tom Noller, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Tom Noller

Tom Noller
    from Iowa

Would rope caulk be adequate in place of the old pliable stuff they used 50+ years ago? I'm removing stainless trim for eventual painting underneath and have been scraping away the old black goo. Wouldn't want to use something that might degrade the paint later. Thanks!

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

What I remember from the late '50s and up being called "dum dum" was rope caulk. It was gray in color and was on waxed paper in flat strips that were sort of semi-sliced so you cut pull loose one strip or more to apply. I do not believe it ever did any 'damage' to paint surfaces, other than mask if from fading. In other words, I think it is safe for what you propose doing with it.

edit: I gotta use fewer words and/or type faster :D

Ray

WDobos and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. funk 49

funk 49

Eastwood carries a strip caulk that worked well for me.
    Funk 49

4. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

5. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

The rope caulk from the hardware store worked fine on a project I did years ago.
    I don't see why it wouldn't be just as good today.
    Be sure to look for one that is non hardening though.
    KK

6. 3m I bought last time was different than it used to be. It was junk. Sticky and not easy to use as before.

7. I got a roll of windshield sealer I've been using for years, a 3M product and still pliable even though I've had it for 20 years.

8. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

The 3M rope caulk is sticky so it will stay in place. Handle it with a piece of wax paper.

9. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Put me in the 3M line too. I did happen upon a box of gray stuff with a Ford part number on it. Couldn't imagine the price, I found it in an old tool box I was given along with 2 cans of Ford teflon grease. It's easier to manage than the 3M but I prefer the 3M over anything else.

10. This what I use.It also holds screws in place if you put a tad in top of the screw head while trying to steady the screw driver while screwing it in place, and it doesn't harden up.Bruce 002.JPG .

11. cavman

cavman

I have used what's called "Duct Seal" available at the local hardware or electrical supply. Also on the auction site for $12-$15 for 5 or 6 pounds. It comes in 1 lb bricks and resembles C-4 but doesn't explode when you hit it with a hammer.... :)

12. my wife read the headline and said; "the pool boy".........i am not sure what she meant.

13. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

14. WordSmith

WordSmith

I find that "dum-dum" (the old strip caulk) tends to dry out and crack. I use 3M 08621 Window-Weld. It's stickier and won't dry out or crack.

15. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Duct seal, find it the plumbing section of a hardware store, tear off a piece and mold it however you want it. Will harden in time

16. indyjps

indyjps

17. You do not want to know what she meant....

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. Dufus, Dipstick, Jackwagon, Ignatz...