Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Quick question.. Gauges.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jason147, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Jason147

Jason147

I have my gauges I removed out of my car when I repainted it. Stupid me, towed it home in the rain from California to Washington. Had no choice really.
    Anyways, I don't want new gauges but thinking I have to. Anyway to remove front bezel from gauges so I can clean them up and get them clean? Only speedo leaked and became rusty around edge. [​IMG]

2. Jeff34

Jeff34

The bezel on my '34 speedo just pulled off the front. I was able to clean the glass, bezel, dial and fix the speedo.

3. fleetside66

fleetside66

You can remove the bezels from most Stewart Warner gauges, but it is not real easy and does take a knack that only comes with doing it several times. Some bezels are easier and some harder. Re-seating the bezel is the hardest part and it will never be as good as the factory job. That particular speedo of yours is a later one and IMHO isn't worth the bother. Older S/W speedos are cheap, so why not shop around and get yourself a decent matching set. If you want to discuss it all further, shoot me a P.M.

4. I got an old green line tach that I was going to have a gauge guy take apart for me so that I could swap in a later movement. He took me in his back room and said, "Let me show you something." he had several dental pics and assorted little screw drivers on his bench. he picked up a gauge and began working his way around the bezel on a gauge he was repairing. in a couple of minutes he had it off. He then said, " This is an easy one but this is how I do it, save yourself 60 bucks and do it yourself. I got a tool to roll the bead back on the bezel, bring it back and I'll do that for you free of charge."

So that is what I do now.

5. Fogger

Fogger

Mo-Ma Gauges in Albuquerque has reconditioned many SW gauges for me. Your speedo probably needs a complete cleaning and lube, especially with the water accumulation. Money well spent, especially if you want real gauges and not the currently available kit car stuff. 505-766-6661

6. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Fogger, About how much does it cost to have gauges reconditioned?

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

notin' that a BFH can't fix

8. Fogger

Fogger

Sorry I can't give you a cost estimate, but 8 years ago I paid $75. to service a SW speedo. They may be able to quote you an approximate number on the phone but maybe not. Damage is often unseen until the gauge is disassembled.

9. Jason147

Jason147

Awesome thanks for the help. I will try to get it apart. If I mess up, it means I will buy new. Haha. Thanks!!

10. 5window

5window

Good luck with your gauge repair. I'm just curious why you didn't put a tarp or plastic on your car before you towed it all that way in the rain?

11. ^OK for short trips but a plastic tarp will do more damage than rain. Anything short of shrink wrapped is almost impossible to secure from flapping. I have seen it take fenders to bare metal.

12. Jason147

Jason147

Well.. My grandfather had this car built. His dream car. He passed. My dad got this car my uncle stole the others and sold them. My dad left me the title and always told me to grab it if he passes as my uncle will steal it and forge a lost title and sell it. Turns out my dad was right so while my dad was in hospital dying, my uncle was cleaning out his house before I was able to make a 1400 mile road trip at last minute. Long story short, if I wanted the car, it was a "take it now or lose it" situation. I took it. Broke, father just passed, and third generation car almost lost. It was a difficult situation. I figured it was better to get wet than sold for drugs.

13. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

I use a slightly modified paint can opener and have taken several apart that way. Clean it up, roll the odometer back if you want a fresh start and get it back together with a blunt tool to recrimp the rim.
    The early SW are a whole different animal.

14. Jason147

Jason147

That's a good idea!!

15. Very sad story and unfortunately all too common now a days. I'm glad you got the car and good luck getting it back on the road. Rain, hell I would have brought it home during Armageddon using Burt Munro's trailer.

16. JonF

JonF

firstinsteele likes this.
  17. Jason147

Jason147

That's saying it nicely. He stole it all from his mother after her husband died (my grandpa). She just had to pay 50 grand for drug charges to keep him free. Lowest level of scum you can imagine.

18. Jason147

Jason147

Well took her apart, simple as crusty nut said. Some fine steel wool to clean up glass, wire brush and emery cloth to remove rust and gloss black rustoleum. Need to go get flat black unless I decide to redo all in gloss. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. Jason147

Jason147

20. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Nice job on the speedometer. Kick your uncle in the nuts. I detest creeps who prey on their own family and/or those in mourning.

Jason147 likes this.
  21. EZ Cool

EZ Cool
    Alliance Vendor
    from Slaton TX

nice job. how about a pic of the car it goes in?

22. Jason147

Jason147

Cars not done yet but in process. Let me see if I got pics on phone.

23. Jason147

Jason147

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last pic was in 2013 when visiting dad. In 2014 it was beat to hell so decided to build it back to nice.

24. Jason147

Jason147

Now I need to figure out how to roll the bead/flange back over properly