Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical black paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by robtlor, Apr 7, 2016.

1. robtlor

robtlor
    from Lincoln NE

What do you use for a flat black. (Hot rod black) whatever you all it. Need to spray my 39 Plymouth. Have very little experience with paint. Thanks, Bob

2. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

John Deere Blitz Black. Lays down great, inexpensive. I lieve JD uses it to paint their frames....get it in gallons or spray can...good stuff

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Black is my new favorite color....... for hot rods, that is.

4. DdoubleD

DdoubleD
    from Michigan

A ton of posts on the subject, but if your looking for cheapish, best bang for the buck is black epoxy primer. Youtube is your friend for learning how to spraying paint......long as you sort through the kooky posts.

5. Slopok

Slopok

If you don't have much experience flats are not to user friendly. Hard to spray without getting tiger stripes and no correction for any errors such as runs or dirt or bugs. What you shoot is what you'll end up with.

6. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  7. 50 Fastback Fleetline

50 Fastback Fleetline
    from Milan, TN.

This is what I use, comes out great and not to expensive:
    Eastwood Rat Rod Satin Black Paint
    Item #21857ZP Rat Rod Satin Black Paint

8. 66gmc

66gmc

My 66 was done with black dp90 epoxy. It starts to chalk up after a couple months and eventually turns to a nasty patchy grey. So I dont recommend the epoxy route if you want it to last, and I think they stopped making black epoxy, the closest thing is dark grey.

9. indyjps

indyjps

I shot the bottom of my car with tcp global hot rod satin black urethane, the urethane is only available in quarts, but they offer enamel in gallons. It layed down nice and the color was even, my overlap was not perfect shooting around all the uneven underbody stuff.

Its an automotive paint and will be waterproof and have UV protection, unlike primers.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/RSP-AE1902-KIT-M.html#.VwcjtXNOnqA

10. littlevalleykid

littlevalleykid
    from ladysmith

The PPG Vibrance hot rod black is the best flat black iv ever used and seen. More money then the others, but it shows. Like Slopok said, if you are not experience with painting flats, they can be very unforgiving...

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

That is my Son Dan's rpu body, and it is shot with SEM Hot Rod black, as is my 27. It is really inexpensive, and sprays so easy. I like it so much I am on the fence about painting my rpu project with it too, but not sure I want two cars the same color.

[​IMG]

Don

12. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

I think before 1964 if a car or bike was flat black, it was painted with some basic acrylic enamel or acrylic lacquer primer, and just "waiting" for young owner to save up for the finish coat. But there was no reason not to show off the motor and bodywork while in primer.

13. I used Kirker satin urethane last time around. It went on real easy and I can wash this were the blac 044.JPG k primer I used before was difficult to keep clean. Less than a hundred bucks for a gallon and the activator. Had over half of it left for whatever else I might want to paint.