Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can I put a 302 Ford motor in 1949 merc?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MercuryNut, Jul 20, 2013.

1. MercuryNut

MercuryNut

I want to leave the chassis original on this car which I have kept stock for many years. Will the oil pan hit the cross member or tie rod if I try to put a 302 Ford motor in my merc? Any other problems I would have?? No one seems to do this and I wonder why....

2. woodenmerc

woodenmerc
    from East B. F.

I believe there is a 49 Merc woodie on ebay right now with a 302 for sale.
    You might want to send a note to the seller.

3. lorodz

lorodz

Yes you can run a ford motor in your merc.the frame is.close to. 49 -51 FORD SHOEBOX I just pulled my motor out (flathead) and I installed a sbf 302 with a t-5 ..I called butchs cool stuff for the motor mounts and it fit almost perfect. Had to move the motor far back due to steering .but the mounts provide you with a very good hight to frame clearance. I used factory ford tubular headers.I used a 89 mustang radiator. Electric fan factory steering.it worked out awsome..no real main issue at all.if you need help or anything check out my build for.my shoe box .. remember butch'scoolstuff.com for the mounts they are alliance members so you get a discount

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Sgt. John likes this.
  4. kracker36

kracker36

If you need an oil pan with a rear sump, then look for a Ford van with a 5.0 at your local pull-a-part. I just used one on a 40 Ford P/U.

5. 53fordcustom

53fordcustom

New guys don't do intros anymore?

6. 6deuce32yblock

6deuce32yblock

not only can, you should...............

7. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Yep they are nice and cozy in a merc

8. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

9. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Seems that way.

10. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

Yeah, I've been seeing a lot of newbies / FNG's posting and not introducing....Bothers me the most when I see it happen on For Sale threads.

11. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Some sites require that members must make 20-25 contributing posts before you are allowed to post ads,maybe the moderators could consider that.Back to the FNG's question here is a link to what he needs:http://www.butchscoolstuff.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=20 Fox body Mustang oil Pans like this are what He will need:http://www.kmjent.com/cart/small-block-ford-chrome-oil-pan-mustang-302-5.0-5.0l.html The matching oil pump pickup is listed below.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
    1951Merk likes this.
  12. MercuryNut

MercuryNut

Thank you for all the good answers to my question.. Hope I haven't stirred up a hornets nest.. I am not selling my 1949 Mercury convertible. I bought it in 1970 and if the flathead didn't blow a hole in the block I would probably be driving it with the flathead 8.. The woody I saw on ebay had a fat man mustang front crossmember and I don't want to change the frame on this car... I have a 50 Merc woody with a 350 chevy and a 350 trans also. The chevy swap is easy the Chevy motor was made for the Mercury... Just thought I could get tips as to not cutting the frame or tie rod cause I restored this body 34 years ago it is all stock and still in great condition... I would like to keep it stock so it could be returned to flathead someday..

13. heidiewn

heidiewn
    from london

I called butchs cool stuff for the motor mounts and it fit almost perfect.[​IMG]

14. YES YES and YES you can. The SBF is a little tricky to get it in with out cutting stuff up but it can and has been done. If you have a hi performance 302 with the taller oil pump and an AOD auto trans it get even more tricky. You will need a rear sump pan and a remote oil filter adapter and set the engine & trans as close to the firewall as possible without the 2 upper trans bolts hitting and slightly above the trans cove opening. The oil pan will set directly in the crossmember and you will need a min of 3/4" clearnce between them. I fab all of my mounts so i can not help you with where to get the bolt in stuff. The engine will usally set around 2 to 3 degrees up in the front than your normal install but with a rear sump pan you should have no issues. Your stock trans cover should also fit but it is real close with an AOD.

Rick Erickson / Extreme Kustoms 951 678-3520

Attached Files:

15. MercuryNut

MercuryNut

Rick, Thank you for the information and pictures.. It is just what I was looking for.. This car is part of the family and I want to do the best I can for her.. As soon as I can I will have my daughter show me how to put up some pictures of the Mercury.. Thanks, Ralph

16. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

17. MercuryNut

MercuryNut

Thanks again all, This is the 49 Mercury I am trying to do a heart transplant on.

Attached Files:

18. Ralph i am jealous a real original 49 Vert you just do not get much better than that. Take your time and do the motor swap as clean as you can. We just recently got a real 49 vert old custom from an very good & old friend. I have been playing with 49 51 merc for 30 years and in that time i have only seen 6 real vert's and all the rest were clones.

Rick Erickson / Extreme Kustoms 951 678-3520

Attached Files:

19. Dan Mohry

Dan Mohry

Guys, Its been a few years since this posting, I just picked up a 302 out of a 1985 van and an AOD out of a Tbrid Super Coupe. Has anyone done the AOD/5 liter combo in a 49 or 50 Mercury? I have the complete interior out of the car so I am not really worried about fabrication work on the floors. I just put in the Jamco tubular front suspension and disc brake kit as well as the Jamco relocated power dual master cylinder. The booster and master cylinder were mounted in the x member where my exhaust used to run. I need to figure the exhaust out for this thing as well. any hints or experience would be greatly appreciated. I am also looking at upgrading the power steering as well. Has anyone done an electronic power steering on one of a 49 or 50 mercury?

DougO68 likes this.
  20. kracker36

kracker36

Dan, you will need a 164 tooth flexplate for the AOD. Just make sure that you get it with the correct imbalance.