Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Big project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Old wolf, Apr 5, 2016.

1. toughnut

toughnut
    from Arizona

Sounds chickenshit to me!

falcongeorge likes this.
  2. mike bowling

mike bowling

It's a helluva note that you bust your ass your whole life, and when you're finally ready to kick back and enjoy yourself , shit like this happens.
    On the bright side, you've got another piece of property to relocate on, that's not too far away. If you can get some of the local boys to help you move the selected vehicles as a group effort, it may not be too bad.
    Easy for me to say though; good luck with it.

3. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Don't know where I got OK there OW! So, Ark. it is, and it appears that a lot of legislators have had their hands in the chicken co.'s pocket. Yes, that would be a tough battle to fight.
    But with the river designated wild and scenic therei s somewhere an environmentally oriented organization that lobbied to get that designation in place.
    Might be a good move to research and find that group, and put a bug in their ear that this is going on, and odds are they'll take the bit and go like hell with the Feds on this shit.
    And now I'm gonna step on a few toes. WTF are these people here on HAMB thinking, wanting pics of the cars, or parts off them when you're facing a disruption of your,home and your family's life? Do you people have ANY fucking empathy for this man's plight?

Crazy Steve likes this.
  4. The37Kid

The37Kid

A building wit 250,000 chickens? How much land would they need if they were Free Range? Bob

5. There was a proposal to build what was called the water valley dam on the Elevenpoint river in 1962. Back then Most everyone owned their land free and clear no debt. a group of the prominent landowners flew to Washington and with the Help of Wilbur Mills (of the Fanny Fox Fame) Got the lower part of the river designated a wild and scenic river. Effectively stopping the dam project. All those folks are taking the dirt nap now. There was a McIlroy ,a Pickett and a Rush . And Wilbur mills was introducing them to the legislature. And a tick crawled up on the Rush guys face. He took it off placed it on a chair back and took out his pocket knife and killed it. He told the suprized onlookers. Do you know why that tick was running so damm fast? Its because I took out the castrating blade. They got the approval they wanted.

williebill and Moondog13 like this.
  6. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Old Wolf I am truly sorry to hear this.I wish there was something I could do to help.

7. My wife when she learned that they where building the grower house. She simply stated doesn't surprise me. So where are we moving to. She has never really liked living at this place. Too close to the road and not enough privacy for her. When we moved here we had Beagle hounds. Every one of them has met their demise as road kill on the highway. They would escape from the fenced yard. Be trailing rabbits and not look when crossing the highway. She is fine with moving. Ive got two not running school buses crammed full of parts. very heavy. In going to set a homebrew wrecker sling on a 1 ton truck I have. and hope I can shift them without unloading the stuff. the vehicles and stuff around back aint a big problem. Ive filled the inside of the 1600 sqft store building with shelves full of parts engines transmissions ect. Lots of NOS parts and new engine parts. jars of nails bolts tools tractor parts and we don't have a good place to store it at the other place. So im thinking get a couple of semi trailers or shipping containers.

8. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Around here old semi trailers are a very good choice.dry,cheap and off the ground far enough to not rust and rot away on the bottom.

9. Ive posted a thread on another forum about this deal. And A guy told a quote fromhis grandfather. (when they are running you out of town Make like your leading the Parade) I like that!

Phillips likes this.
  10. Yesterday the dirt moving stalled out. They hit rock. And tried shifting downhill. and went as far down as they could. The cant build in the creek bottom land. Its commonly floods. Desginated Wetlands. Any road they will have to blast. Likely not a option Im to close and there are 300 windshelds here. So a huge excavator with a hyd jackhammer. And that rents for $250 per hour. We are still gonna move but maybe we will have the luxury of doing the move on our terms

Moondog13 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  11. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Glad to hear they are slowing down at least. They need someone from the federal EPA keeping an eye on them - wetlands have a required buffer of ~25 feet where you also can't build.

12. HD Driver

HD Driver

You still have that luxury, no ones forcing you to do anything!

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Depends on who is really bankrolling the project. The big players in the food industry aren't scared of the EPA.

14. That's a matter of opinion. Yes I can stay and smell the stink and suffer physically and mentally. That is out of the question for us. It simply isn't a option .

15. The company got a waiver to build a processing plant at Shannon Arkansas that's 5 miles south of Pocahontas on hwy 67. And that is a wetlands and a flood plain. They seem to be able to do whatever they wish ?

16. mike bowling

mike bowling

Idea for storage-
    a buddy of mine who runs a Demo. Company put 2 trailer bodies parallel to each other, about 20 ft. apart, and built a corrugated roof over the center. He keeps compressors, Bobcats, etc. in the space and out of the weather. Quick, and not a ton of money. And the trailers are full of metal Home Depot style shelving and provide lockable storage for smaller stuff ( that might " grow legs.")

kidcampbell71 and Old wolf like this.
  17. Well their a tenacious bunch. They are now hauling dirt in with tri axle dump trucks. So I dusted of my old copy of the Art of War. Read it and came up with a plan. We put the place on the market for $125,000.00 If it sells great. Im not taking any less. If It don't sell Ive got another ace in the hole. This is commercial property. Ive got two wells and two approved septic systems. I have a backhoe and dump truck. I can form a LLC and turn it into a trailer space rental park. Rent spaces for RV,s or house trailers. There is a influx of a few thousand workers coming to work in the Now under construction chicken plant , hatchery and feed mill. And Rents will become high. I will try and be at least 10% cheaper than anyone else. I can because we are debt free. and we Don't necessarily need to make lots of money. I probably will try and put in twenty rental spaces. and possibly a mini storage . And could rent out my shop and store building. If any of you can see any negatives or pitfalls of this plan I would appreciate the impuit.

Texas57, kidcampbell71 and patmanta like this.
  18. That sounds like a plan to make lemonade out of lemons. Good idea!

Old wolf and patmanta like this.
  19. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Yeah, that's the ticket. Try to monetize the misery! ;)

That's good thinking. Figuring out what needs a workforce is going to bring to the immediate area and look for a way to use your property to serve those needs. Renting to a Lunch Counter type business might be an idea too.

...assuming this spot is far from any town with any kind of store or restaurant.

Old wolf likes this.
  20. Just be aware that construction workers ideas about idle-time fun when working out of town can be a bit rough...

Old wolf likes this.
  21. I used to work construction. Im not planning on furnishing any structures to live in. Just the space with water and sewer hookups. Im not gonna live here. And whatever trouble will be the sheriffs problem,s. Theres a measure on the ballot to turn the county wet. Maybe get someone to use my store building for a Honky Tonk?

patmanta and kidcampbell71 like this.
  22. mike bowling

mike bowling

Once you've got your trailer park going, open a "company store", get a liquor license, and hire some bouncers for "Security".
    Just like in the old mining towns- hit 'em where it hurts, right in the wallet!

patmanta and Old wolf like this.
  23. Well heres a update. they ran into too much rock to build a huge grower house. So they built a smaller egg laying house. It was one of those that they let the chickens outside to roam for a certain number of hours per day. Had those production Red laying hens that lay brown eggs. Supposed to be a market for the eggs at $5 a dozen. So they got it built. got it stocked with young hens. and was just getting the hens to start laying. When the egg market tanked. the company that furnished the feed and marketed the eggs cancled the contracts on 36 of those egg houses in the county. So the laying hens where shipped to the processing plant. now they have a empty building and a unpaid loan. So there will not be any chicken stink any time soon.We are still gonna move away. We made a list of reasons to move and a list of reasons to stay. And the stay list was pretty short. We just yesterday sold 11 acres of land We owned down near the river. So I have a bit of cash to use to shift my hoard. I need to put commercial insurance on my 76 C65 chevy 10 wheeler. I need it to move my dozers and some loaded full of parts school buses. I moved one of them here with a 64 chevy 3/4 ton wrecker. set the front wheels on a dolley. it pulled it fine. Stopping was the iffy thing. I had my wife go in front whit a 82 chevy 3/4 ton and it also has a wrecker sling. We stopped at the top of a steep hill and I crept up to the back of her and we both went down in first gear on the brakes about 5 MPH. My ten wheeler has air brakes and weigh 12,000 pounds. I will load a tractor on the bed for extra weight before I pull the heavy loaded buses.

falcongeorge likes this.
  24. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

If the cars are going to be scrapped, check out how it was done at this old salvage yard. Perhaps something like this could be set up???

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...-iowa-1-000-cars-to-part-in-november.1036656/

https://www.facebook.com/Grandinettis-Metal-Recycling-349520735170136/

The scrap dealer ran a three week sale, before everything was crushed. They set up a small portable scale, and everything was sold by the pound. The first week was $2.00 a pound for anything. The second week was $1.00 a pound, and the third week was $0.50 a pound. There also was a $10.00 admission fee, which was good for one week.

Although much of the stuff did go to scrap, ALOT of parts were saved and will be reused. The sale went very well. I got a lot of parts there.

25. wicarnut

wicarnut

Sounds like you have plan, Good Luck !

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  26. glad its workin' out for ya. Let us know if you need extra hands. There are plenty of us that could breakout a day or two for ya.

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Hey old wolf! Drop that bus, you can probably rent it out to that agri-corp. They can use that for housing for thier workers once they get that place up and running!:p

28. Thought you all might get a kick out of a back in the day picture. That was a tuff little 3/4 ton 64 chevy. It worked hard every time we used it. I rescued it from the scrap yard cost me $100 installed a 250 six and granny 4 speed. I put that bus front wheels on a dolly. That bus still has the 292 engine and running gear. and at the time of the picture it had lots of engine and transmission stuff in it. Probably weighed 15,000 pounds back then. its got lots more stuff in it now. I will rig a wrecker sling on my Ten Wheeler to move the buses this next time.

falcongeorge likes this.
  29. ok that bus originally came from the local school district. Then a church had it. Then it was parked on a river front lot. The flood of 83 got it the water was above the hood. It was gave to me to remove it. And When it was new I rode to school in it.

falcongeorge likes this.