Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wiring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flamed48, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Flamed48

Flamed48

Question to all the 47-53 Chevy truck guys what is the best wiring harness for the truck I'm wanting to update the one on my 48

2. American Auto wire is vehicle specific. Updated fuse box all the right ends. Rebel is real good you have to do more work to get the right ends. Mainly head and tail light terminals. AAW cost reflect the the extra parts you get. AAW will allow you to get done and on the road quicker. But the cost will be several dollars more. If your like the rest of us you got more time than money. Both will get the job done and make for a safe wire job. This is my opinion.

pat59 likes this.
  3. 29moonshine

29moonshine

if you want to update and not restore rebel or ezwire

4. squirrel

squirrel

The "best" harness probably depends on your abilities, the plan for the truck (do you want it to look traditional? like a street rod? like a restoration? like a hot rod?), how much electric stuff you plan to add (power windows, fuel pump, fan, ac, etc), and whatnot. It doesn't matter that it's a 47-53 truck, so much.

5. gaga4toyz

gaga4toyz

6. indyjps

indyjps

The power of the HAMB.

I'll be using AAW on my current project, no knocking the other vendors.

7. dt50chev

dt50chev

I have wired from scratch, and I have used kits from EZ wire and Rebel. Rebel wire is the best kit for the money.

Habitual likes this.
  8. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Rebel gets my business. Look just above my post... 10% discount even!

Habitual likes this.
  9. Next one I do will be a Rebel. I did a Kwik Wire on my '59 and it was a great harness as well.

10. REBEL43

REBEL43
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from TENNESSEE

Just trying to catch up on posts. To all Hambers, make sure you guys let us know if you have any questions about our kits. No matter how big or small, we're not doing our jobs if we're not helping you guys out! Thanks for the support!

11. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

12. I had a question with Rebel before I bought anything and they left me hanging, so I went with Kwik Wire, plus I could see their instructions before I laid my $$ out.

13. 1gearhead

1gearhead

Have had my own shop for 18 years. Worked out of my garage for many years prior. Don't even have a guess as to how many wire, rewire jobs I have done. Without question, hands down Ron Francis is absolutely the best! I have installed virtually everyone else and there is no comparison. American Auto Wire is outstanding if you are doin a restoration on a 1950s or 1960s vehicle, but other than that Ron Francis has them all beat for ease of installation, appearance and function.

14. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

15. REBEL43

REBEL43
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from TENNESSEE

Really sorry to hear that. I'm not sure who you were dealing with, but I've never been aware that we left anyone hanging on anything about our kits. It's hard to keep up with all of the different forums and what not, but you guys always have our email and shop phone, [email protected] and 423-263-5399. Again, sorry to hear about it, but glad you brought it to our attention.

16. 55willys

55willys

I have used many different kits and wired from scratch. My favorite is Centech, because the fuse panel is compact and the wire has crosslink insulation. Their street rod kit has everything you need to wire a car. I don't usually use their terminal ends because they are insulated, rather I use non-insulated terminals and heat shrink.

17. I'll buy a Rebel for the next one I do. You really should show more of the harness on the site and maybe the instructions or at least part of them.

18. Has anyone tried AAW's severe duty wiring kit? I still have water issues with my 38 and I'm always chasing electrical gremlins. I'm thinking about trying all waterproof relays and the AAW severe duty waterproof fusebox.