Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Restyling my Model A sedan...input needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sacredsteel1, Apr 4, 2016.

1. sacredsteel1

sacredsteel1

I was finally able to strike up a deal on this tudor sedan. The car was built in the mid 90s, and it shows. A little too street roddish for my taste. Im looking to change up the look a little. First thing has to be the wheels and tires. at the very least the fronts have to go. I don't hate the rims, but the fronts are way too wide, also thinking about changing the induction, and maybe swapping in some lake style headers. Looking for suggestions and input... what do you guys think?
    image-11.jpeg image-10.jpeg image-14.jpeg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. mike bowling

mike bowling

Looks like a well built car- real clean and straight with lots of detail. As noted, rims and tires are not right for that car.( front OR back). Cheapest way out is steel rims with narrower tires ( still probably 1K-1500 bucks). maybe throw on some trim rings ( narrow ribbed ones) and center caps??
    A tri-power intake would look spectacular, and some dulled down aluminum valve covers. Any other "bling" in the engine compartment should go too ( mesh hose covers with colored anodized ends, crap like that).
    The "baloney cut" exhaust could be remodeled to- a shorter pipe with a straight cut, painted flat black. ( I love spending other people's money!)

Once you get a plan together, put one of these side view pictures on the "Photoshop" thread by "pair-o-dice" and have one of the "Masters of Computer Graphics" show you a rendition of the final product. Really helpful before you take out a second mortgage .

Good luck with it.- Mike from Mass.

volvobrynk, sacredsteel1 and patmanta like this.
  3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Very nice looking car, I like the color, add a full hood and call it done, after the front wheel change. Bob

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
    kevinwalshe and dad-bud like this.
  4. trailerpark

trailerpark

Mike nailed it

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

- great idea

6. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Hm, it's a nice car for sure, but how far do you want to go into making it more period/traditional?

Do you want to keep it fundamentally intact or do you want to retro-retrofit the whole thing? Because going all the way would take some re-engineering of the suspension and brake system.

But I think a triple deuce setup and new headers would go plenty far too. Start with wheels/tires though. You can probably get good money for the rubber and wheels on there to offset the cost.

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

It's not going to be "traditional" without a ton of changes so why even go that route? Change the wheels (fronts or all) and whatever else it takes to make it your own. But don't try to make it look like it was done in the 50's or 60's because then you'll just have conflicting styles.....that means no to steel rims with caps/rings and lake style headers.

8. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

A set of bias-plies on steel rims with small caps or even older full wheel covers would give that nice looking sedan a great new look...

kevinwalshe and onekoolkat1950 like this.
  9. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Like every one else said lose the wheels. I wouldnt go any wider than a 5"wide front wheel. A set of American tourque thrust or Halibrands would look Killer.

10. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Maybe a bit more rake also.

11. A Boner

A Boner

Sell the wheels to someone building a Cobra. Put on some steel 5"x15" front wheels, and 7"x16" steel wheels on the rear. Raise the rear an inch or more. Put on a full hood, and shorten the tailpipes an inch or two.

dad-bud likes this.
  12. mike bowling

mike bowling

As long as this is all kind of "make believe", and you asked, I'd leave the exhaust as is, unless you wanted to put stock cast headers on and loose the tube style. The fad of "lakes style" headers is so over used, they've become part of the " cookie cutter" hot rod look to me.

I put them on my coupe, and they're coming off!!! I got them for free (they were brand new and they cost $650.! but they remind me of Dumbo's ears!)- I'm going back to cast headers and an under the car exhaust with glass packs, and maybe run a louvered hood top. Much cleaner lines without all that stuff sticking out.

4 barrel's getting yanked too; going with 2 singles. All kinds of hot roddy stuff.
    Not traditional, not '50s or '60s style either; MY style! And you do the same for YOURS!!
    It's a beautiful car no matter what you do, be safe and have fun.

Attached Files:

AHotRod likes this.
  13. sacredsteel1

sacredsteel1

Thanks man! you're definitely making me reconsider the headers. I'm just brainstorming at this point. Not necessarily trying to make a period correct flathead powered 50s hot rod, if that was the case, id start from scratch. I just want to build something timeless with a look that "flows" (if you know what i mean).

14. mike bowling

mike bowling

You've got a great car to start with- that's half the battle. If it runs well, is comfortable ride wise and most of all is dependable, you're in tall cotton my friend.
    Someone else mentioned a full hood; I like the way a half hood ( top only) pulls the car together., but doesn't hide the motor . Flow, Baby!

Attached Files:

15. Congrats, looks like a solid base for restyling. That rear window and actually the whole rear body area caught my eye. Does not look like every other A sedan? What motor is that, BBC?

16. sacredsteel1

sacredsteel1

Good eye :D... nobody ever notices the rear window. Its a stock height 34. The engine is a ford 460

17. Gotcha! Do what guys above mentioned and enjoy, it's gonna be a killer ride sir

18. Looks like a very good car to begin with, I think Mike Bowling says it best, he has a good eye.

19. sacredsteel1

sacredsteel1

image-17.jpeg
    Took the advise and posted a pic on the photoshop thread. themoose did a great job giving it a new attitude. definitely a step in the right direction

Tim and kidcampbell71 like this.
  20. dad-bud

dad-bud

Those wheels are the wrong dia and make the car look like a kiddie toy. Right idea but looks wrong. needs a full hood too

Sent from my SM-N9005 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. The photoshop version looks good to me.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Put these on it, anodize the wheels in a Dow 7 colour, pick the tire lettering out in gold, like Firestone did in the sixties, Done.
    https://www.cokertire.com/firestone-indy-15-inch-tires.html
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The only way that car is ever gonna look like a "traditional" fifties hot rod is if you re-do it from the frame rails up. Get over it, and play to its strengths, instead of trying to make it something it isnt. Dont be a sheep. 16" steelies look stupid with a 429/460.
    If I changed the exhaust, I would do something that plays on a BB cobra theme, not cornball lakes pipes.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Oh, and intake swap? This.
    [​IMG]

Play to its strengths.

24. Wheels and tires will change the whole thing dramatically. I like the color but add a tri power or two fours, and clean it up with bling removal. A white or cream firewall would really make that thing pop like crazy.

25. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

Lake headers....I like the look but not the sound or smell. I had a nasty 348 in my truck and the headers were crazy loud and obnoxious(even with baffles). If the full exhaust has been engineered correctly just change the tips.... pencil tips look good and are traditional. I agree with the steel wheel suggestion. But a new set of steel wheels and Coker bias-ply look radials will set you back at least $1500. I'm a sucker for the kidney bean gasser front rims. Nice car and good luck with your planned changes. Gary

26. Squablow

Squablow

Looks like a really nice car to start with, the paint and bodywork is quite pretty.

In my opinion, it'll be hard to dress a 460 to look like anything except a 70's or newer era build. And I love the early Ford solid wheels look but it's in conflict with the drivetrain.

If it were mine, I'd put a full hood on it, painted to match, and I'd buy some chromed steel wheels in a 15" size (sometimes called "chrome reverse" but they don't necessarily have to be reversed to get the look) with a narrower front and a rear no wider than 7", with some appropriate tires. The car could pull off wide whites or blackwalls. Chromed steel wheels don't scream out any very specific era like mags or '40 Ford wheels, ect. They're "timeless".

I don't see any headrests poking out over the windshield so I'll assume the interior is tasteful. I don't think it really needs anything beyond that.

27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'd change the air filter cover, swap out those "rims" and call it done.

28. AHotRod

AHotRod

Lakes Headers are so over done, don't do it.

How are your fabrication skills ?

How about some closeup pictures so we can really 'See' the car, engine and interior.

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  29. sacredsteel1

sacredsteel1

Thanks for all the input. Ok, I'm sold...Lakes headers are out. As far as my fab skills, I'm pretty proficient. I fed my family for about 15 years on them. I don't have any interior pics, but the interior is pretty solid, buckets from my old 67 mustang and a cj 7 back seat, upholstered nicely. Just needs a new steering wheel and a shifter swap. Also, Id love to run a hood, but its not so simple. the distance between the grille and firewall is slightly longer than stock. Id love to make my own, but I lack the tools, and having a custom hood made is out of my budget right now
    . image-18.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  30. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

The photo shop looks great. The wheels aren't the wrong diameter, but a little rake might fix that illusion-probably not worth the effort, though. Drive it!