Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead exhaust suggestions

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hb32, Mar 23, 2016.

1. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This thread is about modified street engines. Have you seen the video where the guys bash the hell out of the headers on an engine on a dyno and then make runs? They didn't see any significant reduction in power until the damage looked absolutely terrible! And this was on an OHV engine without the internal restrictions of a flathead.

I was not going to comment any further on this, but I just have to say that I am really curious why you would post a picture of that particular manifold on this thread.

I think it would be interesting if Mr. Abbin had made a dyno run on his engine with stock manifolds. I'd be betting that he would see JWL saw, but we'll never know.

2. Flatheadjohn47; Your not compairing Apples to Apples. Extreme measures change all dynamice. Do you really think a 335 horse motor plays by the same rules as a motor with 1/3rd the power? So your throwing out names of a Real motor builder. Just Google Columbia Racing Engines and research Jim Albrich and Earl Floyd. These guys were there when it all started and are personal friends of mine (God rest Jim I still have lunch with Earl). Earl still runs a Flathead F.E.D. When it comes to what works for what your doing make sure you have a system, not just parts and pieces. That generally takes you Backwards.
    The Wizzard

Daniel Dudley and falcongeorge like this.
  3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Roger, did your guy port the block? I would think that should influence which way you go here, horses for courses?? Just from what I know about what you are doing, my guess is its pretty stock??

4. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Red's - they fit & look good!! Not the best picture but U get the idea. Had the whole system Jet Hot coated - headers, pipes, glasspacks. IMG_5439.JPG

5. image.jpg I will admit I am wrong if so proven that headers versus stock manifolds offer no power increase. A little history about Joe Abbin, Albuquerque,N.M. First off,Joe is an engineer with a degree and owns both a dyno and a flow bench and knows how to use them. He has over 50 years of flathead experience. Contact Joe and see what he has to say(I have his phone number but don't feel right about giving it out) He is easy to talk to and I feel he will give an accurate and honest opinion on this subject.His 335 h.p. Engine is not a race only engine and has been seen on Rod runs around the Albuquerque area. His 335 h.p. Engine achieves that kind of power using Roots style blower.I have seen several dyno tests of his friends motors(not race only) achieving 200 horse on 3 carb setups.

6. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Listen UP
    If you maintain the stock steering, no header will fit without major modification.
    Use a stock manifold. It may even have to be a 32 type (very flat).
    I have modified the Belond type of header, but the rear exhaust port on the drivers side will have to be squished. With stock steering, there is no easy way

7. According to the Red's website, they make a set that will clear the stock steering in a 32. Not sure If there is any massaging required hence the request for pics as well as opinions and suggestions.

8. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    1459274726401.jpg 1459274764043.jpg

Like I said contact Havlir House of Fab, he makes a kit. If you know anything about 27s on 32 frames you know that the frame gets pinched so tight it makes everything hard to fit in the engine area.

Sent from my SM-N920P using H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. hell just build your own..............make it fit

Pist-n-Broke and cadillacoffin like this.
  10. Something that may be considered is that the OP is trying to build a pre '50s hot rod. Hell even in the '50s headers would have been a rare commodity and pre '50s they would have been nearly non existent.

Just food for thought, I didn't vote because I don't have the discipline to build a pre 50s rod.

11. x77matt

x77matt
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey HB- I found this set that works great. I got them from the early Ford store for around $150 and they fit awesome with my 59a motor and stock steering in my stock 32 chassis with Elpocko x-member legs. They look very much like the same ones speedway sells for $119. Zero mods needed and the exit location is good for stock wishbones. I had a set of center dump that were modified to fit with my steering but they dumped right on top of the wishbone, so I'll save those for a split wishbone car...

Matt

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

12. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

fentons on my 38 and reds on my 52!

13. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I'd go with Red's

14. Thanks Matt and will look into them as well. Are you using stock 32 pedals ? I could use a pic on the modified brake pedal as well

15. Dennis Lacy

Dennis Lacy

16. Thanks for the pics Dennis and have been leaning towards the Reds

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
    Dennis Lacy likes this.
  17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

That's a better fit than I thought could have been achieved with stock steering Gemmer box, Dennis. Red's Headers it is.
    (I am a 'veteran' of '27 bodied '32 framed High boys. One got the box located just above the rail...)
    Steering box too close to the header caused 3 of the 1935 Miller-Ford cars to drop out of the Indy 500. (they had bronze gears in the steering boxes...the Ford boxes in our hot rods, if too close to the headers, just boil the oil out of 'em)

Dennis Lacy likes this.
  18. von Dyck

von Dyck

The end exhaust ports exit the block at a sharp angle. To attach a primary to these particular ports at an angle not complementary to the port's exit angle is counter productive to efficient exhaust flow.
    Also, Luke Balogh (North Vancouver, B.C.) and other flathead gurus spend sometime reshaping the exit areas of the end exhaust ports. Stock exhaust manifolds already have this angle built into them. A little time spent here with a carbide bur port matching would net greater benefits than using ill-fitting tube headers.

19. x77matt

x77matt
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup- stock 32 pedals, and I just reworked/ rewelded the tab position right for my master cylinder mount. I'll grab some pics when I get home later of the pedal tab location...

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

20. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Headers don't improve anything on the flathead motor except maybe a couple of extra HP. They make it sound better is about it. Depends on what you want to do. I am running open dump headers from Speedway, on my 8BA, because I like the sound. I also get a lot of compliments on my sound from hot rodders and bikers. Depends on who or what brand you prefer. Mine are cheap and effective. That's all I need.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  21. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

The average Joe running a flathead V8 is probably like me, not looking for big numbers on the dyno, racing every weekend or trying to impress the masses with their power output. A respectable cruising speed to keep up with modern traffic is what I care about. Any small HP gain from running headers is appreciated though and the improved sound doesn't hurt either.

Flathead Dave likes this.
  22. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I think you hit it right on the head, A 2 B.

23. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In a RHD hot rod throw in a starter and steering box into the mix and it's a struggle for space , I have done it a couple of times. Cast manifolds makes life a little easier. Bring on a left hand starter, if there ever was such a thing.

24. x77matt

x77matt
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HB- attached are the pedal photos. Pretty basic just cut off the arm, bevel it, line it up and TIG it home. I am using a Tardel Master cylinder bracket but modified to move the 2 bolt mustang master cyl up about an inch. I moved it to both gain ground clearance but also to give me a bit more ratio for lighter pedal efforts.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

25. Thanks for the pics and I am at that stage myself so needed a visual to where the tab should be located.

26. Squablow

Squablow

I brought this subject up in the Period Correct 40's hotrods thread and I saved these two ads from there, one being from 1948 and the other from 1951. This is the style headers I plan to use on my T, which has a '38 24 stud engine in an A frame. The center dump design works with my steering box setup.

Oct48WheadersAD.jpg
    Belondheaders1951.JPG

27. frosty-49

frosty-49

I have an original set of Fenton's on my 8BA in my shoebox that fit perfect. I used an exhaust baffle in the center ports(after porting and polishing). I never ran it with stock manifolds, but it screams and sounds good, so I don't how much improvement it made.

28. Thanks for all who contributed their thoughts, advise and especially the pics. I bought a pair of Reds headers after all the advise.

29. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Let’s get this updated! Putting together a ‘32 5W with a ‘49 Merc engine. It will have an F1 steering box. The question is which type of exhaust to use? Original, centre dump headers, or something like Reds Headers? Pro and cons with WHY would really be appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022