Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. dnegel231

dnegel231

For what it's worth, here's my experience with Fram HP1 Racing filter. I cut one open and it has the same type and number of pleats as a wix, has a metal clip on the element and a very heavy outer shell. The Fram filters 18 - 20 microns, the Wix filter 60 micron but has no bypass. Fram uses a bypass. I've used the HP1 from the beginning and never had a single problem. These filters are not crap. Although a friend of mine once told me his Ford lifters ticked a little until changed to Motorcraft. That's the worse thing I've personally heard. Most like the flow of oil was lower due to finer filtering. I've watch several vids on youtube but I have not seen one cutting an HP1 open. only my 2 cents.

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  2. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Most likely the ticking lifters were on startup, and due to the difference in anti-drainback valve which keeps the filter full of oil while engine is shut down. As you know the filter on most Fords is close to, if not horizontal, and if the anti-draiunback valve doesn't seal well, oil will drain back into the pan and you'll get lifter rattle on startup. Had a DD Lincoln MK8 with 32V DOHC 4.6 and it would rattle with anything but a Motorcraft or Amsoil on startup.
    Both use a special compound silicone rubber anti-drainback valve.

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  3. Speaking of nuts ;) did you get the smell of bottle rockets out of yours ?

Check ol Gabriel doing some test n tune :D

4. I don't know what you're talking about. Bottle rockets? I was using the grinder and the sparks got me!

loudbang and allwilly like this.
  5. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Is that what you told Casey?

loudbang and allwilly like this.
  6. She said she loves the smell of bottle rockets in the morning :rolleyes:

loudbang likes this.
  7. Of course that's what I told Casey! She'd have my ass if I get burned again playing with fireworks!

I wish that were the case...

8. Again???

loudbang likes this.
  9. There was a magnesium sparkler incident in 2014 that fucked my hand up pretty good. That's why I don't have a blower for the Nailhead...medical bills.

Tony,
    You gonna be able to make any more test runs between now and Greer in a few weeks?

10. Gear Jam is on the 23rd - sounds like a decent test n tune. Might camp out and play with sparklers too. ...... The track should be treated pretty well at that event.

You know my ex-wife said she was tired of being married to a juvenile - where were you back then? I needed someone to set the bar for juvenile o_O

11. I'll be at my grandma-in-law's 90th that weekend. Bummer. Hopefully it'll all pan out to get some good runs in.

When was this and how old were you?

loudbang likes this.
  12. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Agreed, I do the same.

Dog_Patch likes this.
  13. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

14. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Very cool I will have to get you to autograph one of these for me

loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  15. Wow! Man that is cool! Look how bent that axle is :eek: I think I told this before - but that picture was taken at the Greer finals. Tommy was watching the qualifying runs and the track was sketchy. So he told me - no wheelies o_O just stay in your lane and you'll qualify :cool:. Sooooooo I took out 3 cones on the pass and didn't qualify ;) Priceless :rolleyes:

16. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Fookin' Amateurs......................................

PBRmeASAP and loudbang like this.
  17. Cabbage

Cabbage
    1. S.F.C.C.

Killer poster! That axle was toast

18. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Well it's pretty official, my car won't be done for next weekend. Sad, Sad, sad I know. I'm shooting for Knoxville now. Hope you guys have a good time though, be safe. Wish I was gonna be there even if it was just to watch. I'll have to catch the tape delay from Skull Garage!

sonic03bluegt likes this.
  19. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I WILL POST A BUNCH OF PICS UP IN MY THREAD

loudbang likes this.
  20. Dang Tommy! He didn't know it was opposite day when he told you that!

21. Bummer Higgy :( Hope to see you at Knoxville for sure then. Steel In Motion is a good time also if you can make that.

Cool Enloe's going to be there!

What about you Ric ? Got your Chili ready?

enloe likes this.
  22. Got more stickers for the windows ;)
    [​IMG]

23. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I AM GOING TO HAVE A TON OF OLD MAGAZINES FOR SALE.

24. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Back in my dirt track days, when a body panel got dented(which was often) We'd hammer it back out, put some orange paint on it with a brush, and if there was a wrinkle or wave, after the paint dried we slapped a sticker over it.

allwilly and loudbang like this.
  25. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I remember in the dirt track days that if we got a dent we needed to put a target on the car.

26. Tyresmoke

Tyresmoke
    from Norfork

It's looking more Dirty each time I see it
    Come on Tony in date needed!

Sent from my SM-T805 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. Tyresmoke

Tyresmoke
    from Norfork

28. Yeah Dave here's an update :(

Went to test and tune at Shady Side Sunday. Track was perfect - glue glue and more glue. Some guys said they slowed down because of the glue LOL. There was a Steer Outlaws show or some TV thing filmed before we got there. It looked like Bowling Green is at the Hot Rod Reunion. Anyway, I was using a wide band O2 to get the fuel richened up. Went from 125 jet to 60 to finally get it to darken the plugs and read over 14 on the O2. So I never really beat on it because it was so lean.

Then last pass - right before the track was shutting down - jumped in, Kim was in the passenger seat, hit the start and it went to 7500 WFO :eek: . I slapped the mag off quick. Started checking and the throttle blade was hung up. Loaded and went home.

Last night I found this :oops:

[​IMG]

So - looking into the cylinder from the piston hole and around the intake valve, its got some marks in the piston. Not a lot. But the camera thingy Cabbage loaned me wont go in the spark plug hole.

Compression reads the same as the rest of the cylinders.

I woke up at 4am still thinking about all this. There's really no choice but to pucker up and run it. If I take it apart and find something I don't like, that's Greer, Steel In Motion and maybe Knoxville out the window. If it dies Saturday at Greer, that's Greer Steel In Motion and Knoxville out the window.

If it holds up at Greer :) look out Southern Flyer ;)

After much pondering - problem : Loctite and race gas - no more loctite

Fixes ?
    1. Fuel proof loctite ? what is that? JB Weld ?
    2. Longer screws and use a dyke to mash the threads on the back? Mess up the airflow?
    3. Screens under the intake runners? Airflow again?
    4. Red Loctite and pre-race check schedule?

Always something o_O

sonic03bluegt and II FUNNY like this.
  29. powrshftr

powrshftr

I think I would try to stake those threads Tony.
    A little tap with the edge of a chisel should be enough to prevent them from rattling out,and not kill your airflow or bend your throttle shafts,as long as you back it up with something before you tap it.

That was a close call Man!You are one lucky dude!

Scott

allwilly likes this.
  30. cs39ford

cs39ford

Maybe. Green loctite. And stake it. What a mess for sure it could cause !

Dog_Patch likes this.