Register now to get rid of these ads!

The "Official Garage Crawl" 2016

Discussion in 'The 2024 Lone Star Round Up' started by hot-rod-1958, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Sorry for the delay in getting this posted. I had to re-do my route for this year at the last minute.

The "Official Garage Crawl" will be on Friday April 8th 2016. I have a couple of old favorites lined up and I'm still working on some new stops. As we have done for the past several years we will make our last stop at Dell Children's Hospital. This stop is a real treat for the kids, parents, hospital staff and the car owners who join us.

We will meet at the Northeast corner of South Interstate 35 and Slaughter Lane for breakfast. Your landmark will be the Home Depot at that corner. I have made arrangements with "Don Dario's Cantina" to open early at 7:00 AM for us on that day. They will have extra staff and will be ready for us. They are located at 8801 South IH 35 Austin, TX 78744. www.dondarioscantina.com . You will also find an IHOP at the same location. Please park between the IHOP and Don Dario's. There will be folks there to assist you in lining up. We will gather for a drivers meeting at about 7:50 and pass out maps with directions. Be sure to have a tank full of gas and we will begin the crawl at 8:00 AM.

Feel free to text or call me on my wireless if you have any questions about the crawl. The number is (512) 496-8658. My e-mail is [email protected]

See you on the 8th in Austin!
    Mark Gustafson

Below are some answers to frequently asked questions...
    • There is no charge for the garage crawl.
    • EVERYONE is welcome.
    • You don't have to be pre-registered for the Roundup to join the crawl.
    • Yes you can join the crawl in a rental car.
    • The crawl will finish at the hospital before noon so you can get to the Expo center.
    • Arrangements have been made with a local towing company if the need arises.

2. castirondude

castirondude

Hi Mark,
    This is great! Thanks for setting this up. I'm glad it is family friendly - my almost-3yr old son loves cars, tools, anything mechanical, so it will be fun to do it together with him.

3. 46stude

46stude

Cool deal. The Crawl is the highlight of the Roundup weekend for us. Thanks for organizing it again, Mark.

4. Thanks Mark,

after much playing with the GPS, I found it by spelling out the address as South Interstate Highway 35

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016

5. Ole M. Nybakken

Ole M. Nybakken

Great job Mark. Visiting LSRU from Norway, as always. ;)

A32Flathead and JOYFLEA like this.
  6. TX55Truck

TX55Truck

The garage crawl is always the highlight for the round up! Thanks Mark

7. Joel bomia

Joel bomia

I love this idea, I think I'll be taking the family out to experience this for the first time. Pumped on a good time in Austin! See you cats soon!

8. shadams

shadams

My wife and kids are following me to roundup in her car, and we rented a house for the weekend. Can she follow along in her car with the kids? I dont want her to feel out of place though so if its weird I'll have to miss it...

9. Below are some answers to frequently asked questions...
    • There is no charge for the garage crawl.
    • EVERYONE is welcome.
    • You don't have to be pre-registered for the Roundup to join the crawl.
    • Yes you can join the crawl in a rental car.
    • The crawl will finish at the hospital before noon so you can get to the Expo center.
    • Arrangements have been made with a local towing company if the need arises.

10. shadams

shadams

I saw that....I was just wondering how common that was...I know she would feel akward if she was the only DD in the group...

11. There will be at least 10 of us from England and California in rentals....last 2 times I've been, it's been a 50-50 split.

12. 46stude

46stude

The Crawl isn't "organized" in the sense that we all arrive & leave the shops in one large group. We all look & leave at our own discretion from the various shops & head to the next location. Kind of a constant stream, I suppose would be a fair description. Lots of different vehicles, from old hot rods to 4x4s to street machines to rental cars, make the Crawl so tell her she'll be just fine. :)

13. shadams

shadams

Awesome! Thanks!

A32Flathead likes this.
  14. Hey guys,

Thanks to everyone for answering all the questions about the crawl. Couldn't have said or done it better myself!

Mark

A32Flathead likes this.
  15. Jpeg1971

Jpeg1971
    from Austin TX

Last year was my first crawl and it was the highlight of the weekend for me, specifically going to Dell Children's hospital. Puts a little perspective into the weekend and starts things off with doing something good for someone else which is as good as it gets.
    Last year one of the CC's bought beanie babies and put them on the cars for the kids. Does anyone know how I can contribute toward this happening again? Donation, or shopping etc?

rsiller and A32Flathead like this.
  16. Prostock15T

Prostock15T
    from western ok

It was the model citizens car club. That brought the stuffed animals last year. I met Matt and rose siller and their family there last year . Very nice group of people I don't know how you could get ahold of them but they are on face book. Last year my first Lsru and the crawl is definitely worth the trip really the highlight Children's hospital stop if a great stop the kids really like said above it is a reality check Hope to see you all there soon !
    I believe that are from the San Antonio model citizens

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    Jpeg1971 likes this.
  17. As stated above the garage crawl is my favorite part of the roundup. Not only getting an inside look at the many shops but getting out and driving my truck. Plus I love seeing hot rods and kustom in motion. So much better than sitting in a parking lot.

Thanks Mark for all your hard work. This is always such an impressive feat you pull off!

18. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

Can't thank Mark enough for organizing the crawl every year. It is such a great part of the weekend.
    You do not know how special the last stop of the crawl is for all the kids at Dell Children's hospital. A little ray of sunshine and excitement for so many of the children. It really means alot. My wife works at the hospital and it is one of the highlights of the year for the kids, so I want to personally thank all of you that participate. Folks were asking about what they could do or bring to bring a little more joy to kids so, here are some of the guidelines on what is allowed/not allowed to bring to the kids at the hospital.
    Feel free to bring new toys(maybe hot wheels or something hot rod related) or new stuffed animals.
    ( the hospital can not accept used or worn toys/animals) Another good idea is maybe some hot rod stickers or hot rod pictures/cards if you have any of those laying around. You know just some small stuff that could easily be handed out so everyone gets a little momento from the day. And regarding the toys, if you bring any, please try and make em kid friendly( ie. no weapons or weapon like toys).
    Also please NO food or candy for the kids. This is prohibited.
    Also please NO SMOKING any where on the hospital campus, even out in the driveway area where the kids will be present.
    Once again, thanks to Mark ( hot-rod-1958) for organizing this great kickoff to the show on Friday and to all you who take part in this special part of the Round Up. See you all next week !!! Steve W

19. Joel bomia

Joel bomia

Thanks all for the great info.
    This is my first year with my car in the LSRU, anybody know the rules of bringing in a cooler with food and drinks since I'll be parked there all day, I'm sure it would get really expensive?

20. http://lonestarroundup.com/guidelines/
    Here is their list of guidelines. Looks like they dont want any outside food and drinks/coolers

21. wino01

wino01

Can we get a round about number of kids at the hospital. Just trying to prepare on having something for all there.
    Thanks, wino

22. Dad Was A Racer

Dad Was A Racer
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The way I read that, "no coolers" refers to wine coolers, not ice chests, since they specifically allow bottled water. I've never seen a car searched entering a show and as long as you're not making an ass of yourself you're not going to be hassled.

JOYFLEA likes this.
  23. 46stude

46stude

Probably a good idea to contact Mark directly about that:

24. There is really no way to know how many kids will be there on Friday. Sometimes we have just a handful and other times we have a good size group. All that are able will be outside to see our driveway car show. Some are just too sick to come outside and some are simply too fragile to be around other folks as they have isolation precautions in place. You'll see some of the kids that do come out being helped around by staff, volunteers and parents as they may have IV bags and tubing. It is a real experience to see the smiles on those little faces. Lots of the crawl participants will let the kids sit in the cars for pictures. I remember a year or two ago watching a big rough looking guy in a chopped pickup wipe a tear away after he picked up a little girl and sat her in the drivers seat of his ride. It can be an emotional as well as rewarding experience not soon forgotten. It is a treat (and my pleasure) to do this for the kids and my thanks in advance to all of y'all that go the whole distance with us on the crawl.

Drive safe and see you dark and early Friday morning! Mark G (your tour guide)

Prostock15T and A31ModelA like this.
  25. To answer the numerous e-mails and phone call questions I have received...The route is about 78 miles total. We will be covering some ground but the 4 shops are way cool. Not to worry about fuel as there are gas stations all along the route every few miles. And for the teeny bladder types with too much morning coffee... all of the stops (except one) have public restrooms.

A32Flathead and A31ModelA like this.
  26. Prostock15T

Prostock15T
    from western ok

it says no outside food or drink ...that being said i saw several people cooking on grills there and drinking there own beer..they were selling 16 oz so dont really know the rules and yes it is expensive ...but they were not checking coolers or anything like that when you came in we had a cooler in the back of our truck and did not have an issue

27. rsiller

rsiller

Thanks for the interest and wanting to contribute towards this! Yes, this was the San Antonio Model Citizens and it was so much fun to be able to provide this small gift to the children. We ordered some more this year and they were delivered a few days ago! Mike contacted us and explained that you were interested in donating, which would be very much appreciated. Please note we are a registered 501c3 nonprofit organization and your contribution would be 100% tax deductible. For more information you may email me at [email protected]. See y'all soon!

28. PCJ

PCJ
    from Austin, Tx

This sounds like a great opportunity. Unfortunately my shoebox isn't ready so me and the wife will have to tag along in our 4x4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using H.A.M.B. mobile app

rsiller likes this.
  29. 46stude

46stude

Not long now. You goin'? IMG_4931.JPG

30. Rand Man

Rand Man

Is there a list of garages I may have missed?