Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Was guuna post a build thread..but

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pooch2, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Great looking car,I would be more concerned about the foam element breather,they are known for catching fire.

The car has many more positive aspects than negative and has a traditional look. HRP

2. Keep at it. Looking fine

3. Phtttttt :p well no, well depends on the period I guess.

For clarification I am running front discs on a '60s style A sedan, and a 8.75 Ford ('58) in place of the banjo, Corvair coils under the rear in place of the cross leaf. I am sure that there are other glaring affronts to the hard core flathead crew, but why discuss and entire build here. Even the brakes are period enough, '64 Stude Avanti.

Anyway depends on the period I suppose. Well that and there are more disc brakes and modern rears here then on your basic muscle car sites.

4. Yea but now that we know that it is not totally traditional and he already feels guilty we may as well start the beating, I mean hell why miss the opportunity. :rolleyes:

@pooch2 I like the build man, good lines and good choices in parts selection.

The temp gauge gives me a chuckle just because I live where freezing is a distinct possibility and its a roadster, if the driver doesn't know that its freezing he has some very serious problems aside from a froze radiator. :D :D :D

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

6. Manager

Manager

Wondering why you moved the rear U bolts out?

7. pooch2

pooch2
    from Australia

Well, thanks all, if the only hated thing so far is the air cleaner, that is cool.

I kind of like it, maybe I can just ditch the foam and tuck some other non-flammable filter in there ....I have those usual small round chrome can things, but like the beehive better.

Before I fully turned over to the dark side, I was primarily a restorer, than saw the light when losing driving fun when having to suffer 70 KPH on single lane highways, so built my first rod, a model A roadster in resto rod style, and put a few pics on ford barn, to show what a 28 roadster looks like with 30 fenders/running boards, and 30 windscreen posts and a few of them got their noses right out of joint, so that is why I thougt it wise to ask here first .

I liked the first rod so much I built a second one, a 28 pickup in my avatar, which doubles as a slide on camper and a working ute , both of these have a V6 in them, as they are everyday drivers, but I was hankering for a V8 rumble sound and nostalgia, so is the reason for this build, it sounds greatttttttttt....
    ------------------------------
    ...cool roadster, what's the seat from?

Rusty, I was told Alfa, they have a single push button at lower back to fold forward .

Dunno if |I will keep them or put a bench in, but it will defintely be engineeredf for 4 seats with a functioning rumble . I do like the colour.
    ------------------------------------
    Where did you get that kick ass Galormeter and can I find one for my T Touring?

Terpu, swap meet find.. I am sure it says Calormeter , it does work, ( or did work ) but after looking at pic, I see it is showing boiling, it is not fitted into radiator yet, just resting on top, and I only drove it for 5 mins to get pics out front, will have to investigate that ...they do work on radiant heat, do not have to be in the actual water, but it wasn't that hot for sure.

I am going to make a sealed water chamber in top of radiator, where the calormeter can screw into with heat transfer silicone so as to avoid any issues of pressure sealing around it.
    --------------------------------------
    Good on the rear suspension looking like radius rods but actually being a four bar

Seb, yes, 4 radius rods as a semi triangulated 4 bar, no binding, full movement, will see how it goes with no panhard bar, easily add one if it needs it.
    ----------------------------------------
    Well, your "foot" pedal is certainly traditional..
    Looks just like a hot rod to me.

56don, will have the matching surfie foot for the go pedal too, bit of fun.
    --------------------------------------------

Wondering why you moved the rear U bolts out?

Manager, the U bolts are just sitting there, as are front U bolts, those rears are fabricated, not by me, they are threaded inside and have bolts go up from under, so they look like they are bolted thru the crosmember at that point but are not, the whole chassis is drivable but just sitting on the spring centre bolts , it is fun revving it, swings the whole car down on the right side at each jab....

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  8. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

Looks like your front ends way too far to the left?

9. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Hi pooch2.Looks like a great start to a fun driver.Please keep the updates coming.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

10. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Maybe the "freezing" indication on the motor meter is in case the operator is already " heavy drinking"!...cool hotrod!

11. DdoubleD

DdoubleD
    from Michigan

The car is a dandy. Keep up the good work build it the way you like and drive the wheels off it. I will say though, the steering column is jacked up, it's on the wrong side of the car.......just kidding. Good luck.

12. As for the Calormeter, "calor" is Mexican for "heat."

deadbeat likes this.
  13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I got ya in the appropriate forum now...

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

Why is your front so off center and only one front shock?

15. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

cool car...swap the air cleaner out for a nice billit scoop, chrome the rear end cork and "you b stylin"

16. Some disc brakes are period correct.
    Mainstream back then ? Nope - but they were there

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice project, look forward to more progress reports. Bob

18. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

I definitely can't blame you for going with the 'glass i've had a note on here for over two years looking for just one A roadster 1/4 panel (there were millions made) without a single reply and I don't even care if its wadded up like a ball or looks like swiss cheese still nothing
    p.s. there are quite a few really nice trad rods with full fibreglass bodies they've been making them since the late '50's if people want to escalate the price of a '32 ford into the stratosphere let them kill interest in the hobby and gloat all they want..... i'll be too busy enjoying a handbuilt or glass car to care

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I helped put out a fire on one that did just that one day. A buddy was real proud of it until it caught fire on him.
    Besides that and the fact that it is a great funnel for directing rain down into the carb, it just flat does not fit in with the rest of the engine or the rest of the car. OOPs I saw your comment on having a replacement coming for the spider defender.

I just wish my 31 was any where near that far along.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  20. If you can fix and use a wadded up 1/4 panel I'll bet you can build one too.

21. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

:) maybe I got a little carried away with the description lol! but for some reason it sticks in my craw to have one straight brookville 1/4 on a car that is mostly made up of marginal dented warped rusted orig panels and honestly will likely not ever be too "nice"

22. von Dyck

von Dyck

The door latches I see in your pictures seem to be OT! :D

23. pooch2

pooch2
    from Australia

Why is your front so off center and only one front shock?

wishart kid, no panhard bar at front yet, prob looks more off than it really is because of only one caliper onone side and and one shock on other side.

Only had one shock on loan to set up top shock hangers .

24. clem

clem

Thanks for not keeping us in suspense for too long.
    Cool project.
    Is that a hq holden steering box ?
    If so, what number of turns lock to lock, if you don't mind me asking.

25. pooch2

pooch2
    from Australia

Clem, yup it is HQ .

Looks like about 3 3/4 turns, thought it was a bit much but it tallies with my other A rod, I do have a short pitman arm to try if needed .

The bolts and plate holding the box in ATM are only rough to find best location.

They will be welded threaded bosses with bolts from back when done again.

26. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

That's a nice rod!

It should be possible to cover the discs up so they look better, maybe add a homemade backing plate and cover the caliper with a scope and get to the driving driving part. And maybe go for some bias ply at some point?

Is there any chance of pictures of the 29 with 30 fenders? Or the 28 ute?
    In a enjoy-able size?

I fail to see why putting so much time in to a build, and then put the wheel on the wrong side. :wink:
    Is it because you are down under, and upside down make the wrong side the right? Okay that was my last joke about your nice rod.

You did good so far.