Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Doing Falcons Right

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconizer_62, Jul 23, 2008.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ahh yes. I was looking at my unibody repair manual. The extra metal is aft of the cardinal points.

And sure, you could turn a sedan or even a wagon into a Ranchero, but why?

Ford already did that, and they are not exactly rare.

2. safetythird

safetythird

So, my stock hood hinges on the '62 Falcon were trashed.

I replaced them with what I thought were a decent aftermarket set.

One of them promptly bent. It's entirely possible I'm just an idiot, but I hadn't screwed up a hinge install before.

Anyone have recommendations for a nice aftermarket set? I'm open to anything as long as I can get my hood to align with the fenders properly. Thanks much.

3. What are cardinal points and where are they located?

The Comet is about a foot longer than the Falcon. I believe it was longer in the quarter panel. I guess I never compared the Ranchero and Comet when I had it. So, I wonder if the Comet was based on the Falcon wagon platform, not the sedan.

4. I have a Ranchero that needs floors and a quarter panel fixed, and I'm thinking about putting in MII front suspension. There's a sedan for sale that probably/hopefully has good floors, the body looks to be good, and it already has MII front suspension. The negatives are the firewall and part of the rear wheel tubs are cut out.

What I want to do is make a Falcon/Ranchero somewhat similar to the Holman Moody Challenger Rally Falcon (http://www.holmanmoody.com/images/rally1.jpg). The idea is to make it more aerodynamic, more fuel efficient, and have cleaner emissions. The back end of the car would somewhat follow the aerodynamic streamlining template (http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachments/aerodynamic-streamlining-template-jpg.1635281/).

I've had thoughts of making the Ranchero cab roomier by moving the rear bulkhead and window aft some (mine is rusted through at the bottom edge). Rancheros are usually rusted in the 'shock well', whereas a sedan's should be pristine. I wouldn't put a tailgate on a sedan, but I might extend and/or taper the aft end for aero.

If I run propane again, I'd either have to put a Ranchero-style bulkhead in a sedan, or mount the tank underneath. I had the tank in the trunk before and in the bed of a pickup would be a lot less hassle.

It's just a 'thought project' of which would be better, cheaper, and easier since I came across a sedan for sale.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2024
  5. Back to the Econoline trans comments. 61-62 version had what was called the Non Synchro Crash Box which was a side loader three speed with the narrow bellhousing (to transmission). 63-67 had the Ford 3.03 box, a top loader design. 63-4 had the narrow bell and were a popular swap for the 61-2 vehicles. 65-7 mostly had the wide bellhousing. There is also some indication that there were 'F' code transmissions in 63-4 which were a Dagenham 4 speed.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Falcon61wagon

Falcon61wagon
    from Indiana

I'm beginning the process of putting the front end back together on my 61. There's steel plate that the spring sits in at the top of the shock tower. Ive read some where that these were tack welded in but mine fell out during the dismantle. Will it sit in there without any problem without tack welding it or does it need to be tack welded. It can only fit one way. I would like to put a rubber insulator between it and the shock tower (maybe a piece if inner tube) if Im not tack welding it. Is there any reason why this is a bad idea? I have the insulator that goes onto the spring.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The early ones were not welded. They stay in just fine. The rubber insulator goes between it, and the spring.

Those upper plates locate the spring. Putting something between it and the body could allow the spring to move in an undesirable fashion.

Inner tube rubber would be destroyed in this application, in very short order.

Traditional?

loudbang likes this.
  8. Falcon61wagon

Falcon61wagon
    from Indiana

Traditional? Huh?

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's the message signature when I am using the phone app.

Traditional?

10. Falcon61wagon

Falcon61wagon
    from Indiana

I'm bolting on the calipers using the Scarebird setup. I've mounted the rim only to find out that the caliper is rubbing. Should I grind the corner of the caliper or use a wheel spacer. The lugs on the hub are about 1 5/8 long about a 1/2" longer than original.

Sent from my LGLS990 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Hmmm. How much grinding we talking about. I assume the caliper is rubbing the inside of the wheel? I'm one to try and make it work before spending.....

12. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Just bought this.. 289 3 spd.. Just bought a 4 spd top loader I hope I can make fit.. 100_3594.JPG I really like 64/65 Falcon hardtops...

loudbang, falcongeorge and Gammz like this.
  13. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

14. Falcon61wagon

Falcon61wagon
    from Indiana

Doesn't look like much but it is in side the rim so it's hard to tell. Its only hitting the inner part of the steelie slots.

Sent from my LGLS990 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Would you happen to have a extra caliper you could use for mock up? Grind that till it would fit and then have a reference for your good stuff?

16. Falcon61wagon

Falcon61wagon
    from Indiana

No extra caliper, had to hunt to find the ones I have. I a using 14" rims.

17. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

If your using the same kit I did. Kit PNY something like that it's for 15" wheels.
    Are you 4lug or 5? Perhaps you could source a 15" steelie from a junk yard and try that out. Also hunt for a set of calipers there on the cheap.

18. Falcon61wagon

Falcon61wagon
    from Indiana

Gammz and need louvers ? like this.
  19. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

That sounds good. Probably won't take much. Just another quick thought how about spacing out with a few washers? I had to do that with the rear disc rotor on mine. Two flats to space it off the backing plate where it was dragging a bit. Anyways...... Best of luck. Keep us updated on how it works out.

20. loudbang

loudbang

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

loudbang likes this.
  22. There were 3 I know at least one survived and has been restored. there were called the Challenger Falcon's Holman challenger.jpg .

loudbang likes this.
  23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The originals, if I remember correctly, are a 3"chop, and a 3" section.

loudbang likes this.
  25. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Here's a inside vid of me making some test passes at the 1/8 mile drag strip last Friday night.
    It's not breaking and speed records. But it's kool. My son and I built it. And it kicks ass.

26. Falcon61wagon

Falcon61wagon
    from Indiana

I have two different sets of rims. The second set of 14" clear the caliper; those are from a 67 mustang. The wheel code is 7MM. The first set was from a 64 falcon. The wheel code is 4MK; those hit the caliper but might work with a 1/4" or 1/2" wheel spacer.

27. Falcon61wagon

Falcon61wagon
    from Indiana

I'm having trouble on the passenger side getting the strut rod to line up. Does somebody know what the length is supposed to be on the early falcon? I measured the distance from the frame to the end of the strut rod before removing it and it just doesnt look right with the new arms.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The length is set on the alignment rack.

Make sure you have it attached to the lower control arm in the correct holes.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ran the 4MK wheels for a little while. I used a 1/4" billet spacer to get them to clear the caliper, while I was waiting for my alloy wheels to be delivered.

30. Falcon61wagon

Falcon61wagon
    from Indiana

Thanks for the response I was beginning to think this thread was dead.
    One spacer per side?
    I sand blasted the 7mm wheels sprayed them with urethane and the found out the dog dish caps wouldn't fit (shaking my head as I type). Is there an alternate cap that would look good? I'm trying to stay close to stock but I don't mind suggestions. Also I couldn't figure out how this clip that came with the pads was supposed to be used.

Attached Files: